Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone met up with and RX-8 and actually raced one? Im just wondering what the out come would be if i decided to race my friend. OK not really my friend, but this guy that thinks he's the standard driver king..

The race would be stock vs. stock. I dont think he has any upgrades.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
soo nothing to go with.. how much hp does the RX8 have? just got off of work and imto tired to look it up, sorry.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I think what Orange Juice was meening when he said that, is that the RX-8 is a 2-rotor rotary engine, and wasnt made to for the purpose "drag racing" although i was speeking of just a basic street race.

What i did find out was that the Automatic version RX-8 has 212HP & 232 HP Manual 6spd.

The guys RX-8 that im speeking of is manual too.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yeah my buddies gal has an '06 with a AT. That thing has a 9,000 rpm redline, so imagine its first two gears. Ive never lined up but i followed him. Of course off the get go he pulled. For the most part i believe its a drivers race...

·
Registered
895 Posts
Jag88 said:
I think what Orange Juice was meening when he said that, is that the RX-8 is a 2-rotor rotary engine, and wasnt made to for the purpose "drag racing" although i was speeking of just a basic street race.
DING DING DING. Someone clearly thought it thru ;)

Jag88 said:
What i did find out was that the Automatic version RX-8 has 212HP & 232 HP Manual 6spd.

The guys RX-8 that im speeking of is manual too.
i think you'll take him. I've ran a few RX8s when I was bone stock and never had to break a sweat. On the turns though, completely different story :eek:

Then again i've never raced a Cobalt and I only have the 1/4 times and few videos to go off of. I think if you run low 14s, you will not have a problem. If you run mid 14s, it will be a close drivers race. Have fun, be safe! :cool:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well thanks for the confidence OJ, and yeah i did understand you about them not being built for drag racing. lol.

*yawn* im tired guys.. got out of work at 7 this morning been up since, and i have work again tonight at 10pm. get out at 6 probably wont leave till 7 like usual then go home take a shower and hit up the dealership :). So ill talk to you all tomorrow with news of my cobalt hopefully.

·
Registered
27 Posts
ya drivers race. If you research some numbers, they post the same straight line performance numbers, except on the skid pad we hold more G's, and were faster through the slalom by 1mph or so. Probably the closest car to car comparison you can find...except in the wallet!

·
Site Moderator
3,724 Posts
Jag88 said:
Well thanks for the confidence OJ, and yeah i did understand you about them not being built for drag racing. lol.

*yawn* im tired guys.. got out of work at 7 this morning been up since, and i have work again tonight at 10pm. get out at 6 probably wont leave till 7 like usual then go home take a shower and hit up the dealership :). So ill talk to you all tomorrow with news of my cobalt hopefully.
We'll be waiting patiently. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
you blow his doors off, they suck, why did they get rid of the RX-7.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you wanna know if you wil win yes but it depends on how good of driver you both are. I beat them all the time from a roll and stop but that is me.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Rx8 sux. They are overrated. There was a big deal going on when they first came out because a lot of them were dynoing around 180whp, big difference from what mazda said they were at. Dont know if this has changed, but I have yet 2 see a fast 1. You should take him.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
scrappy said:
Rx8 sux. They are overrated. There was a big deal going on when they first came out because a lot of them were dynoing around 180whp, big difference from what mazda said they were at. Dont know if this has changed, but I have yet 2 see a fast 1. You should take him.
True Scrappy^^^ But an RX8 if it is fixed right is mainly made, or should have been made for drifting. Look at a 350Z and an RX8, pretty similar in stance, and the rear wheels are right behind the door. The RX8 is a 2+2 whereas a Z is just 2+0 seating, but other than that, not much difference.

·
Registered
278 Posts
orange juice said:
FYI, RX8s aren't built for drag racing. Rotary...torque?......

Race him and find out.
Thats not true AT ALL. RX-8s aren't really the greatest cars to drag race, yes, b/c they're big, heavy, and the renesis is nowhere near as good as the 13B/13B-T. I have an '88 RX-7 non-turbo, and it does just fine drag racing with minimal mods. But, go google RX-7 drag cars........they're an entire legion of them. Street, pro-stock, tube-chassis......you name it, and there are RX-7s putting down amazing power and even more amazing times. Beliveve me......a well built turbo RX-7 lays down amazing amounts of horse power and PLENTY of torque to launch hard and fast off the line and down the track. Oh, and no matter what, you can't forget that rotarys are the only engines you can build to over 1,000hp (hell, i've even seen 900hp street driven RX's in RX tuner) without ever touching the internals. Sure, you can buy fancy titanium rotors, re-inforced rotor housing, new apex seals, etc.......but in all actuallity, they're not neccesary. Top that.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I work with a guy that has a built RX8 running about 13.7. but has alot invested to get it going that fast including $1500 alone in coil overs. I race alot at Cecil county drag way in maryland and at Atco in new jersey and the RX8's i've seen run seam to be in the low 15 to high 14 range. Most of the Cobalts I've seen run seam to be in the mid to low 14 range. I have seen a red Cobaltss with stage 2 package run a 14 flat. I dont know if the guy is on this forum but he races at cecil alot. :)

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
JohnsRallyYellowSS said:
True Scrappy^^^ But an RX8 if it is fixed right is mainly made, or should have been made for drifting. Look at a 350Z and an RX8, pretty similar in stance, and the rear wheels are right behind the door. The RX8 is a 2+2 whereas a Z is just 2+0 seating, but other than that, not much difference.
That has little to nothing to do w/ anything in this case. We're talking 1/4 mile run. I say it's a drivers race. If the RX8 is manual, he'll be shifting at about the same time as you. If this was a top end run, it'd come down to gearing maybe. 6th gear would help him too. Race and find out.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
WhiteSS said:
Thats not true AT ALL. RX-8s aren't really the greatest cars to drag race, yes, b/c they're big, heavy, and the renesis is nowhere near as good as the 13B/13B-T. I have an '88 RX-7 non-turbo, and it does just fine drag racing with minimal mods. But, go google RX-7 drag cars........they're an entire legion of them. Street, pro-stock, tube-chassis......you name it, and there are RX-7s putting down amazing power and even more amazing times. Beliveve me......a well built turbo RX-7 lays down amazing amounts of horse power and PLENTY of torque to launch hard and fast off the line and down the track. Oh, and no matter what, you can't forget that rotarys are the only engines you can build to over 1,000hp (hell, i've even seen 900hp street driven RX's in RX tuner) without ever touching the internals. Sure, you can buy fancy titanium rotors, re-inforced rotor housing, new apex seals, etc.......but in all actuallity, they're not neccesary. Top that.
It is not the only engine that can handle over 1000hp stock. And all modded RX-7s burn up apex seals after 60k miles TOPS.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts