Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the G6 is definately growing on me. especially with the 2006 coupe in GTP trim.

6 speed manual tranny and a v6 with 240 hp / 245 lb-ft of torque. with these numbers, and assuming it's very close in weight to the ss (if i'm not mistaken), shouldn't it be faster? does anyone have any good info on the G6 GTP? i haven't been able to find anything.

·
Registered
232 Posts
a Grand Prix GTP is kind of a grandpas car... I mean not really, but it is a medium sized sedan....

G6 is quite a bit smaller... more sporty looking... I think they look cool... Hopefully GM underrated the engine ? Or you might have just as much power with the cobalt....

·
Registered
492 Posts
ExHondaMan said:
a Grand Prix GTP is kind of a grandpas car... I mean not really, but it is a medium sized sedan....

G6 is quite a bit smaller... more sporty looking... I think they look cool... Hopefully GM underrated the engine ? Or you might have just as much power with the cobalt....
I believe the power on those won't be underrated by much, if at all. GM doesn't bother with underrating in a non performance oriented car (I believe) so maybe the GTP is a little underrated, maybe not. I think it would be a good race. And the Grand Prix GTP, is NOT medium sized. That thing is as big as most Caddy's and such.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea, the grand prix is a boat. think ford crown victoria. yea, from the look of those numbers, it seems like it might be faster then a cobalt ss, so why isn't gm pushing them as much? they're basically the same size as a cobalt coupe, with more power and a six speed. i wish i had known that before, i might have waitied to test drive em both first.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Blue04RedLine said:
I believe the power on those won't be underrated by much, if at all. GM doesn't bother with underrating in a non performance oriented car (I believe) so maybe the GTP is a little underrated, maybe not. I think it would be a good race. And the Grand Prix GTP, is NOT medium sized. That thing is as big as most Caddy's and such.
No you are wrong, it is a medium sized sedan. Ford's Crown Vic is a foot bigger in almost all aspects, as well as the Cadillac DTS and Buick Park Avenue. The GTPs/Grand Prixs are not a full sized sedan.

·
Registered
492 Posts
wasey13 said:
No you are wrong, it is a medium sized sedan. Ford's Crown Vic is a foot bigger in almost all aspects, as well as the Cadillac DTS and Buick Park Avenue. The GTPs/Grand Prixs are not a full sized sedan.
Why, thank you for that correction. A whole square foot "in all aspects" isn't going to be noticable. A foot longer, sure, otherwise, no. I wasn't saying it's not CLASSIFIED as a meduim size sedan, but all actuality, it's not very medium sized. But that you for sharing your all around car knowledge. asshole

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Blue04RedLine said:
Why, thank you for that correction. asshole A whole square foot "in all aspects" isn't going to be noticable. A foot longer, sure, otherwise, no. I wasn't saying it's not CLASSIFIED as a meduim size sedan, but all actuality, it's not very medium sized. But that you for sharing your all around car knowledge.
Not a square foot. Those cars are a foot longer, wider, and taller compared to the Grand Prix. That adds up to more then "a whole square foot" and is very noticable. So in all actuality they are medium sized, not full sized, and not that big. Oh, and real mature with the white text. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
492 Posts
wasey13 said:
Not a square foot. Those cars are a foot longer, wider, and taller compared to the Grand Prix. That adds up to more then "a whole square foot" and is very noticable. So in all actuality they are medium sized, not full sized, and not that big. Oh, and real mature with the white text. :rolleyes:
When you said "in all aspects" that means interior room, and trunk room as well, which is where I pulled the square foot from. What other cars are considered "midsized" then by your specifications, because the Grand Prix and Bonnevilles are all such big cars, it's rediculous to call them "midsized."

And I'm glad you think you have room to talk about being mature, with mom jokes and such.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Blue04RedLine said:
What other cars are considered "midsized" then by your specifications? And I'm glad you think you have room to talk about being mature, with mom jokes and such.
Impalas, Monte Carlos, Altimas, Grand Prixs, Five-Hundreds and so on. These aren't my specifications, those cars all have similar demensions. Full sized sedans have way bigger demensions like Crown Vics, DTS(Deville), Park Avenue, my parent's '92 Roadmaster, Bonnevilles, Maximas, and so on. Once again not my specifications, just common knowledge.

Did I say anything about your mom or that I was mature? :cool:

·
Registered
492 Posts
wasey13 said:
Impalas, Monte Carlos, Altimas, Grand Prixs, Five-Hundreds and so on. These aren't my specifications, those cars all have similar demensions. Full sized sedans have way bigger demensions like Crown Vics, DTS(Deville), Park Avenue, my parent's '92 Roadmaster, Bonnevilles, Maximas, and so on. Once again not my specifications, just common knowledge.

Did I say anything about your mom or that I was mature? :cool:
Um how are the Bonneville's and Grand Prix's so much different that it makes one midsized and one full size? The grand prix's are much bigger than such cars as the Altimas, Five Hundreds, and so on.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just for reference. A Cobalt is 20 inches shorter than a '95 - '99 Monte Carlo or Lumina. Which places the latter two in 'mid-size' territory. The Impalas and Monte Carlos of 2000 - '05 are on the same chassis. Just like the GPs from '98 to current.

The '06 GP, Impala and Monte Carlo chassis are much different from their elders. As such they are yet to be classified.

So, in other words. The Cobalt is labeled a compact car. Learn to deal with it.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Malaclypse said:
Just for reference. A Cobalt is 20 inches shorter than a '95 - '99 Monte Carlo or Lumina. Which places the latter two in 'mid-size' territory. The Impalas and Monte Carlos of 2000 - '05 are on the same chassis. Just like the GPs from '98 to current.

The '06 GP, Impala and Monte Carlo chassis are much different from their elders. As such they are yet to be classified.

So, in other words. The Cobalt is labeled a compact car. Learn to deal with it.
What did any of that have to do with anything?

The '06 Impala is bigger then the '06 Grand Prix, but the '06 Monte Carlo is smaller.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Malaclypse said:
Yeah. You can't delete your own posts on this forum for some reason.
Yes you can, when you click 'Edit' towards the top of the screen it will ask if you want to delete your message.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ahh. My apologies. I'm used to forums where a deletion option is offered within the post itself.

Anyways, I figured GM was being lazy about their chassis design (as usual) and only changed up the body panels but didn't touch the underlying frame.

My mistake entirely as far as that's concerned. I've worked at a Chevy dealer for over 3 years so I've gotten used to seeing alot of the "same" car. Guess I should study the new models a bit more.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My guess is going to be that the cobalt will turn out the better numbers. I would bet that this engine is not underrated from factory as well its torque and horsepower curve wont be as usable as ours with the added weight I think we should be able to write this one off..(assuming no terrible driver error)

here are c&d estimates of performance

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article_id=8686&page_number=2

·
Banned
50 Posts
So it seems that by some peoples logic, physical size and a cars classification dictate whether or not a car is uncool or a "grandpas" car. By this logic, cars such as a V12 BMW (750i??) and Mercedes S-class (AMG included) are pretty uncool. Hell even the new Grand Prix GXP must be super uncool, despite the fact its now V8 powered(albeit through the front wheels), handles EXTREMELY well, and runs low 14's/high 13's at over 100mph stock, and has a sweet v8 rumble.
The fact some of you hate on GTP's because of one person whos opinion you couldnt take and got all pussy hurt over is sad, and doesnt make any of you look good. But while youre stuck looking at tail lights, I guess its good to have excuses ready to use :rolleyes:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Rich said:
So it seems that by some peoples logic, physical size and a cars classification dictate whether or not a car is uncool or a "grandpas" car. By this logic, cars such as a V12 BMW (750i??) and Mercedes S-class (AMG included) are pretty uncool. Hell even the new Grand Prix GXP must be super uncool, despite the fact its now V8 powered(albeit through the front wheels), handles EXTREMELY well, and runs low 14's/high 13's at over 100mph stock, and has a sweet v8 rumble.
The fact some of you hate on GTP's because of one person whos opinion you couldnt take and got all pussy hurt over is sad, and doesnt make any of you look good. But while youre stuck looking at tail lights, I guess its good to have excuses ready to use :rolleyes:

hey "my gtp 8 u" made a new account

1 - 20 of 49 Posts