Cobalts SS banner

Cobalt Vs Cavalier

7K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  knoxbox 
#1 ·
I was driving the other night in my Cobalt LT at a casual 8 over the speed limit and I passed this spray painted Cavalier. As I got in front of it I heard their engine rev up so I threw it into 2nd gear and pulled far ahead of them.

My point was proven so after seeing a cluster of oncoming cars on the other side of the road I threw in the clutch at about 60 mph and just coasted. Then a little while later when it was obvious that I was slowing down I saw them pass by going probably 50.

Later on down the road there was construction so the passing/parking lane was blocked off. Because I go about 38 all around town and don't ever get pulled over I casually pulled up close behind them again. Once out of the construction zone they floor it again. I'm thinking to myself, "What are they trying to prove? I already showed them I could pull away from them easy." So I just sat back and watched.

All of a sudden a truck starts turning left off the road and I see those D'bags in the Cavalier slam on their brakes. It was pretty entertaining for me.

#6 · (Edited)
sounds like u ran into a 2.2l ohv one. an 03-05 cavalier with the 2.2 ecotec or the 2.4 twin cam (96-02)would've given you a run for your money.

#8 ·
the dohc in the saturn is a 1.9l. i don't remember the power #'s on the 1.9l.

#11 ·
03-05 arnt the only ones with ecotec.....

i have an 02 2.2dohc ecotec ls sport

pretty possitive i would kill any base model cobalt since i can keep up with a stock SS/SC wouldn't beat a SC but i can keep up with them. and for that reason i dont even like the the SS/SC im just gonna buy a SS/TC next year test drove a 09SS/TC this week and all i gotta say is chevy finally did a good job on a sport compact(I4).

#15 ·
really nothing k&n short ram intake w/ carbon fiber ram air functional hood (turbo sport), denso sparks, eibach sport line springs/ stock shocks, apexi high flow muffler... and i added a cool wing to weigh me down, 300watt kicker amp/ 12'' w3v2 JL sub, and a friend gave me a flash with hp tunner but i doubt it added much..

#17 ·
lol............ forgot to mention i have a 5speed but no.. my idea of keeping up is my bumper up to the SS's door after he leaves 2nd gear.

like i said ill crush any basic model cobalt (LS, LT w/e) and i can keep up with SS/SC (stock) they arnt that fast which is why i didnt by one 3 years ago.. now SS/TC would smoke me. the only car that i would say beat me by 10 cars lol well 3 seconds is my friends sti but that car well is a monster. I base my SS/SC comparison off of 3 drags maybe all 3 of the guys were bad drivers who knows.

only reason im even stating this is because im just debunking topic creator and one of the other posters basically writting the cavalier off as crappy but if they truly believe that the cobalt doesnt fall to far from the tree. having said that i acknowledge the SS/TC but not the SS/SC and i will be buying one probably next year.

#18 ·
cobalt is almost same car as cavalier in a different well actually heavier body 200pound curb weight differnce and thats another reason i dont want to buy it was gonna get a evo10 but i want to help out our economy yay and plus i felt like a midget in the evo10 that car is huge lol

*sorry for text walls*

#19 ·
idk why youre dogging the ss/sc.

s2 balts are beating tcs. with the new tvs swap, theyre killing the tcs. with a turbo swap on the lsj people are making some GREAT numbers. the lnf is a better engine stock vs stock to the lsj but with the lack of aftermarket support and a 320hp max turbo, im not, nor will i ever be sold on it.

as for you keeping up with ss/sc. are you s/c? you need more than a k@n, plugs, and a muffler to even keep up with the 2.4 balts.

you most definately raced people that know nothing about driving cars. ss/sc is not the fastest car in the world, but it is no slouch, especially compared to its lesser twin, the cavalier

#20 ·
Hey flash, I don't know what is your deal. I didn't make this thread to dis the Cavalier. I made it because the Category was Cobalt Vs All and I race Vs a Cavalier and proved that I can kick his ass. You can take my words and twist them if you would like but then what does that say about you? I'm just saying...

#21 ·
whoa whoa chill im not dogging the cobalt anymore than you were dogging the cavalier by saying "so is your idea of keeping up 10 cars?" but anyway im over it... i know how fast the stock SS/SC is compared to the SS/TC a friend of mine has a SS/SC (he just traded it in for a SS/TC his wasn't stock and the words out of his mouth was "i would have had to put 5k or more in to my car to be this fast") and i test drove the SS/TC big difference in power. on a side note my friend works for nissan and works on skyline GT-R's he is the one that tunned my cav anyway i think id take his word on which one is faster..

1S1o03 I still have respect for you so far cause im new to this forum (came from j-body.org) of course it has more after market support its been out 3 years longer, stop sounding like a fanboy of the SS/SC. I will agree with you the cavalier is the lesser twin of the SS/SC happy? i never did say i beat the SS/SC they are still faster than me...

SupremeSlacker27 okay we are cool

ps. i will be getting a SS/TC soon

#24 ·
im in a 2.2 ls and i beat my friend h22 prelude all the time... till 90 then he flies by me like im in a wheel chair, but from a dig i pull 2 cars on him and stay that way till 90.

i'd say that the cavy and the cobalt are really close specially with both being ecotec same motor... i don't really see it being a KILLING either way.

#29 ·
we just don't have good top end without the 2.2 mine seems to pull pretty strong to 90 then mediacore to 105.

there is supposidly a govenor at 105 but i've had mine up to 110 on the speedo haven't put the GPS in to see what actual speed is so not sure how accurate our speedo's are.

#30 ·
lol When I was in the market for a car I had this one dealership that kept throwing cars at me that weren't quite what I was looking for.

So by the time they got to the Cobalt they were so familiar they just threw me the keys and said, "Just don't take it over 100." I am 20 and look even younger, obviously looking for a sports car (of sorts) and I was with my friend so I was blow away when he said that.

So when I took it on the test drive I got it up to about 85-90 mph and then let off because of the combination of it losing it's power, what the dealer said, and the fact that I usually slow down around then in a 45.

I'm still surprised that he encouraged me to race it though. ;P

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.