Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the light on the wheel comes on but can't set the cruse. dealer just keeps reseting something to fix it (I would like to know what and how) and sez it is because the cars clutch peddal was just "slapped" to shift gears or was not pushed at all?
When we drive the car for "FUN" and lightning fast shifts are needed, not only the cruse, but heat, radio, and everything else is turned off. so what gives?
I just dropped the car off again tonight to get "fixed" again. Now this is the 4th or 5th time I had to do this on this car. Is there any way to eliminate this problem? I have 7 other cars and trucks and I went and drove all of them that have cruse, and shifted without the clutch just to see and had no problems, must just be a GM thing!!
Anyone got any ideas?
thanks

·
Registered
243 Posts
dans car said:
the light on the wheel comes on but can't set the cruse. dealer just keeps reseting something to fix it (I would like to know what and how) and sez it is because the cars clutch peddal was just "slapped" to shift gears or was not pushed at all?
When we drive the car for "FUN" and lightning fast shifts are needed, not only the cruse, but heat, radio, and everything else is turned off. so what gives?
I just dropped the car off again tonight to get "fixed" again. Now this is the 4th or 5th time I had to do this on this car. Is there any way to eliminate this problem? I have 7 other cars and trucks and I went and drove all of them that have cruse, and shifted without the clutch just to see and had no problems, must just be a GM thing!!
Anyone got any ideas?
thanks
Hey I have the same problem!!!! cruise control does not work

·
Registered
671 Posts
Are we pressing the cruise button and then holding in the set button ? Just pressing the cruise button does not put the car in cruise.

·
Registered
243 Posts
1stBluSS said:
Are we pressing the cruise button and then holding in the set button ? Just pressing the cruise button does not put the car in cruise.
no putting the cruise button on then pressing set. It pops up cruise set or whatever then shuts right off. just flashes.. never sets cruise. and it only sets cruise normally in 5th gear. And it doesnt work.. Gotta get it fixed...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
not sure if this tsb pertains to that issue cause i can't get the specifics on it:

84. VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
Bulletin Number: 3510
Bulletin Date: JAN 2001
Vehicle: 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt

Summary:
SUPPLEMENT TO 05-06-01-003A - WRONG THROTTLE GASKET PART NUMBER. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10016520 )

·
Registered
729 Posts
Needparts said:
2001 bulliten for a 2005 vehicle? You have your shit fucked up.
Can you like...RELAX with your comments. You get so red hot right away with most of your comments. with your attitude you are likely the person on the recieving end of your signature. just calm your responses and have some respect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Last time my cruise wouldn't work, I was right by my dealer. They hooked up diagnostics, and said it registered a misfire code.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i took mine in for the same problem they said that when you are shifting fast and leave your foot siting on the clutch pedle after a while the computer sees that you are shifting fast and by leaving your foot on the clutch you hit the switch that kills the cruse when you hit your clutch when you have it on.

sorry if that did not make since as it did not to me.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I remember reading about someone who had to go to their dealer and when they scaned it, the code came up and the dealer told him that the code was from resting his foot on the clutch. Thus, causing that little button to be engaged all the time and somehow giving him a CEL. I know the button to disengage Cruise is VERY VERY sensitive...do or have you been resting your foot on the clutch?

Just trying to get some ideas flowing, hope this sort of helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why is it so sensitive? Are there any other cars that are like that? I have had serveral manual cars before and not one does that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My cruise wont work either. My dealer in Winnipeg has already replaced an ignition coil

and all of my injectors. The cruise worked for about 2000 km. now it has quit again. Its also an Automatic so you can rule out the clutch

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cruise Issue

I just got a 2006 SS SC. My cruise control worked once, the day I drove it off the lot. I had to return to the dealership for them to fix this. The told me it was from touching the clutch while the cruise was engaged. To me this is a natural reaction(clutch+break) and should simply disengage the cruise, not disable it. I found a bulletin they may be for this problem, #3673. Until GM develops software to fix this problem we will all have to return to the dealership everytime we mistakingly brush up against the clutch. I guess it is up to all cobalt owners to contact GM with a complaint. Enough complaints may warrant a recall. Lets get pro-active guys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The only problem I've had with my cruise is the button to turn it on has such a light spring that I am constantly turning it off. I"ve noticed it especially when I turn, if I let the steering wheel slide through my hands to straighten back out, my hand will brush against the cruise button & it'll turn off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem - cruise stopped working and check engine light came on. The dealership told me the diagnostic code was for a bad cruise disengage switch on the clutch, but the switch checked out good. The troubleshooting steps also mentioned checking the adjustments to make sure the switch was in the right location. The problem is due to resting your foot on the clutch for long periods of time and the computer sees this as a failed switch so it disables the cruise completely. This problem actually affects many GM vehicles with 5 and 6 speed transmissions. I have included a copy of the bulletin the dealership printed for me. This one says it's for the 2004 Cadillac CTS, but is a word for word match (except mine says 2006 Cobalt) and lists the same vehicles. Hhere is a link also in case the pdf isn't attached to this post: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/pip3673a.pdf . I actually got a call from GM today to see how I liked my new car and did I have any issues, suggestions, observations, etc (which prompted another Google search and landed me here). After telling my story to the first person he asked me to tell it to his supervisor. I told it again and he said he had never heard of this, but was going to look into it and get back to me. The Supervisor's name was Earl and the number is 866-674-2385. I also explained to him that I asked the dealership if this happens again, could I clear the code myself with a magic number of start and stop cycles (like for a check engine light due to a loose gas cap) or by disconnecting the battery for a certain amount of time. I was told that I could try the battery, but that it probably wouldn't work. Earl said that starting in 2000 or 2001, the ability to clear the computer by disconnecting the battery was done away with. I am going to go to the dealership and see if the switch can be adjusted so it isn't so sensitive and will post an update if it can be.

Here is a list of the vehicles affected by this issue:

2004-2006 Cadillac CTSV
2004-2006 Chevrolet Cobalt, Corvette, Silverado and SSR
2004-2006 GMC Sierra
2004-2006 Pontiac GTO
2006 Pontiac Pursuit and Solstice
2007 Saturn SKY
2006 Saturn Ion

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Ok guys, I think I know exactly what the problem is, and the solution isn't good. I just experienced this problem too, in fact still am, but wait till you read all of this to find out why. I've had my car for over 8 months now with almost no problems. I just started experiencing this about 2 weeks ago. I do alot of driving and have acumulated almost 17000 miles on my car. When I set the cruise I usually do it for long trips and always put my foot either on the floor or on the dead pedal. This prevents me from accidentally killing the setting by accidentally touching the clutch. I took my acr into the dealership and told them the problem, without telling them about my driving habits that I went into above. After about a full day they called me to pick up my car, but also followed it with they couldn't fix it at the present time. The problem is a faulty switch which sets the cruise control. The bad news is that the part is on national back order. I'm waiting for the part to be released so that they can fix it. It will be a warranty covered repair. Hope that helps you guys out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts