Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am in the process of looking for a new car after an accident that totaled my old car (not my fault).
I have been doing research as far as what to buy. I have narrowed my choices down to 3 or 4 realistic possibilities
I am trying to keep it under $25k sticker no matter what it is..
The contenders are......
Cobalt SS/SC
SRT-4
Tib GT
Mustang V6

Now, before the trolls attack I know which car is the fastest etc....
THAT IS NOT MY CONCERN I DO NOT CARE WHICH CAR HAS THE BEST TIMES ETC. This will be a daily driver that I wish to enjoy not race everyone because I have a mental problem and cannot control myself on the street
(I was nearly killed by someone street racing BTW)
You could put a sick motor in a Yugo does that make it the baddest car evaaaaa NO. just quick stock ....not what I care about
I am looking for a car that feels right and has the options I want ..
170+hp is just fine for me.
this forum seems to be pretty helpful, I checked the other cars forums as well some just act like little children (no fingers pointed ....you know who you are and you will probably post in this thread as expected with your kiddie mentality)
I grew up with V8's and cars that had 400+hp were common stock and N/A even!!
I digress for the moment.
The high and low points of each car for me are..

Cobalt ss/sc = only manual...not sure if I will have "normal" use of my left leg
and it needs bigger trunk opening, also cannot find a black one equipped like I want ....possible quality concerns as well..
I do like the standard options though and I like the looks
FOR THE UNEDUCATED OR IGNORANT -It is built on the delta platform ,same as the saturn Ion NOT the cavailer there is NO '06 cavy ....if you want to call it a cosat ... fine... just please stop being ignorant about any car other than your own. It makes you look stupid
PLEASE REVIEW ABOVE IF YOU ARE CONFUSED IT REALLY IS TRUE.

SRT-4 = not too hot on 4 door and like it or not fanboi's.... if you take off the bodykit and performance boltons... it really is a neon... sorry same platform whether you admit it or not... yes there is an '06 neon with basically same chassis....
also a manual shift (see above)
upside ...it is quick and very readily available in my area (CT) bigger trunk opening (important to me as a gigging musician), lots of aftermarket support.

Tiburon GT V6= slower than the rest but has an Auto trans avail. (see disability above) not a huge import fan though i do like the tib.
excellent warranty , cheaper price fully loaded

Mustang V6= RWD not a good idea with NE winters ,like the looks
good trunk space and I like the overall aesthetics of the car (just feels right)
expensive for what you get and NO sunroof avail. as far as I know (BIG minus)

In any event I have a month or 2 to decide then I will buy one cash I am just looking for any plus or minus factor an owner of any of these cars can enlighten me with
You have the real world experience that test drives cannot relay
i.e. how does the car hold up after its on the street awhile
BTW previous car was a stratus R/T bought because I could not resist deal I was offered (14k for new '02 in late '03) dealer leftover
If anyone can help me decide please post worthwhile comments (No fanboi BS for any of the cars necessary)
I am merely looking for more opinions before I decide
Thanks ,
Undecided

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, I looked at the N/A SS but prefer the SS/SC if I decide on the cobalt
thanks for the suggestion though
BTW I did test drive all of these cars except the tib , I drove an 04 SE tib basically the same anyway
again any experiences good or bad that might help me decide would be appreciated

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Undecided said:
yea, I looked at the N/A SS but prefer the SS/SC if I decide on the cobalt
thanks for the suggestion though
BTW I did test drive all of these cars except the tib , I drove an 04 SE tib basically the same anyway
again any experiences good or bad that might help me decide would be appreciated
Well my GF has a 05 Tibby with the V-6 5speed good car with one heck of a warrentee that seem's to have no end..

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
hmmm... well from what you said, it seems that the tib Gt would fit what you need the best. but you dont seem to be to confident on that. you seem hesitant about putting your finger on it. it might be weird to want a hyundai, but if you like the car go for it!
one thing i must say about the cobalt, is the spoiler is in the worst spot ever! so make sure you take notice of this before you make any decisions, because you might hate it. (i personnaly dont mind it too much) but from what you are saying it seems the tib would fit all your needs best

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Sean said:
hmmm... well from what you said, it seems that the tib Gt would fit what you need the best. but you dont seem to be to confident on that. you seem hesitant about putting your finger on it. it might be weird to want a hyundai, but if you like the car go for it!
one thing i must say about the cobalt, is the spoiler is in the worst spot ever! so make sure you take notice of this before you make any decisions, because you might hate it. (i personnaly dont mind it too much) but from what you are saying it seems the tib would fit all your needs best
Yeah it just might because the Tibby can run low grade gas... and it has some good power....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did like the tib when I drove it and it does fit my needs if I need to go with an AT car
I will know if I do have to have an Auto after I go in for surgery later in Sept.
I researched all listed pretty heavily but I guess I just am looking for any experiences owners have had
Believe it or not I read the problems section of each forum i go to more than the rest
Just trying to avoid any nasty surprises that may pop up

·
Registered
162 Posts
Under 25g's opens up a lot of vehicle choices with the various car company's employee pricing plans.

You seem stuck on 4 or 6 cylinder vehicles, which is fine, but I would seriously take a look at the Pontiac Grand Prix GXP. It is a hell of a car and you may be able to sneak one under that price cap.
Having said that, drop by your local Saab dealer and drive a 9x-2 Aero. They probably have a lot of the automatic cars left and you could probably drive off with one for less than 20g's.

AWD, Subaru drivetrain, beautiful interior, wagon so lots of room for your stuff. Really do yourself a favor and check it out.

If cash is a concern (and when is it not?), the Tibby it probably your best bet as far as insurance, fuel economy, purchase price, and other such practical items.

<edited for spelling>

·
Registered
133 Posts
There are some nice cars out there. I drove the Tib GT and wasn't that impressed. It rode hard and the v6 wasn't exciting. My funds were limited and I settled for a Cobalt LS sport package. The SS no S/C is pretty nice. Looks almost as nice as the S/C but without wing. I looked at the Scion on the lot the other day and that looked pretty good along with the Mitsubisi i Eclipse. All these cars are under 25k. I'd suggest on driving them all and then decide. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Undecided said:
I did like the tib when I drove it and it does fit my needs if I need to go with an AT car
I will know if I do have to have an Auto after I go in for surgery later in Sept.
I researched all listed pretty heavily but I guess I just am looking for any experiences owners have had
Believe it or not I read the problems section of each forum i go to more than the rest
Just trying to avoid any nasty surprises that may pop up
Yeah i understand i was doing the same for awile but once you figure it out what is the best for you and so far my GF has had one problem that was a oil sensor gasget whet bad and leaked oil but a whole lot of it but that is it since April...

·
Registered
543 Posts
I agree with some of the posts above and say the Tib sounds like a better overall choice for you, no matter what you choose, I hope you have fun with it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
thanks again everyone,
at this point I think its the tib, srt or cobalt
not really feeling the mustang the more i think about RWD + NE winters
Honestly I am happy to be alive so this is a minor decision compared to a box in the ground
I looked at acuras , wrx sedan and a mitsu but think it will be one of the three I mentioned above
The V8 pontiac I think good suggestion but the way this oil war in the middle east is giong I might not be able to afford to drive it ...sad as that sounds
just looking for some other opinions as well and
I want to thank everyone for actually giving out some good suggestion instead of useless chest thumping about who has the best car
all I can hope for is some honest info good or bad from some of you that own any of these cars
Thanks

·
Registered
945 Posts
Not to play follow the leader but it seems you maybe be happy with a Tib.

There are other cars i could suggest to you if you like.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
ok well now that we have all that unbiased opinions, *begin rant* ill tell you that i am completely happy with my cobalt, It is AWESOME!!! plus the tib is slow as shit, and i think the srt looks like crap! maybe the tib could have been a toyota supra, then maybe, but i dont like hyundais, (it prolly would of been faster too if it was a toyo) but yeah, the ss is deffinitely the way to go if you can still drive a stickshift! *end rant* i just wanted to add some biased opinion to the thread

·
Registered
543 Posts
Sean said:
ok well now that we have all that unbiased opinions, *begin rant* ill tell you that i am completely happy with my cobalt, It is AWESOME!!! plus the tib is slow as shit, and i think the srt looks like crap! maybe the tib could have been a toyota supra, then maybe, but i dont like hyundais, (it prolly would of been faster too if it was a toyo) but yeah, the ss is deffinitely the way to go if you can still drive a stickshift! *end rant* i just wanted to add some biased opinion to the thread
I hope you don't listen to any of this when making a decision.
Is there more of a price range you are looking at or just a certain pick of cars you want to choose from?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Don't get an SRT-4. The car's whole demeanor is 5 years old, that's why I didn't choose it over the cobalt SS supercharged. The cobalt has a _MUCH_ nicer interior, and is more "up to date." The SRT-4 is too "racing car," it's the type of thing you would get if you bought a neon, put a body kit and a turbo on it. The exhaust is REALLY F*ING loud too.

·
Registered
543 Posts
tube said:
Don't get an SRT-4. The car's whole demeanor is 5 years old, that's why I didn't choose it over the cobalt SS supercharged. The cobalt has a _MUCH_ nicer interior, and is more "up to date." The SRT-4 is too "racing car," it's the type of thing you would get if you bought a neon, put a body kit and a turbo on it. The exhaust is REALLY F*ING loud too.
It's almost 3yrs old...and the CobaltSS is the same thing you would get if you took a Cobalt and put a body kit and a supercharger on it, take the mufflers off of the CSS and lets see how quite it is....Nevermind I'm not going to argue w/ these closeminded fellows anymore.
Have you checked out the new '06 Eclipse GT's or have you made a decision yet undecided?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I think of the cars you mentioned above, the Tiburon might fit you the best, but as far as 2 doors that aren't bad, as someone else stated, check out the Scion TC. You would have anything aftermarket you would really like, you could personalize almost anyhting on that. You can add more performance if you want, and it seems like a nice, reliable car, with an AT trans available I believe. It would be a good alternative if you're not sure about the Tib. Good luck on your decision, and enjoy whatever you wind up with.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Undecided said:
thanks again everyone,
at this point I think its the tib, srt or cobalt
not really feeling the mustang the more i think about RWD + NE winters
Honestly I am happy to be alive so this is a minor decision compared to a box in the ground
I looked at acuras , wrx sedan and a mitsu but think it will be one of the three I mentioned above
The V8 pontiac I think good suggestion but the way this oil war in the middle east is giong I might not be able to afford to drive it ...sad as that sounds
just looking for some other opinions as well and
I want to thank everyone for actually giving out some good suggestion instead of useless chest thumping about who has the best car
all I can hope for is some honest info good or bad from some of you that own any of these cars
Thanks
What about a 3.5 Altima? Its the 2nd fastest FWD sedan, only bested by the SRT-4. 4 doors, huge trunk, awesome interior and sound system, good suspension, under 25k. Automatic or manual.

Like someone else said the Saab 9-2x can be had for under 20k, AWD and turbo with 4 doors and plenty of room. Saab interior enough said. Also auto or manual.

Question: Are you looking for only new cars? or used also, with under 10k for new car rates?

Also Omega, the new Eclipse GT is around 28k...out of his price range.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts