Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man on the 05 Dodges there is some work that has to be done if you want simple clean LED dash lighting. Before the 05s all you had to do was simply pull the bulb out of the socket and replace it with a LED. But with the 05s and newer they made the damn bulb and socket all one piece. So the choices were A) spend more money and time trying to find older sockets (dealership doesn't carry them anymore) or B) use some simple basic soldering skills and do a FREEBIE mod to the existing SOB sockets. Here's what I did...

First thing you need to do is get those pesky bulbs out of their sockets. To do this correctly you need to relase the connector tabs from the socket base. To do this you'll need a pick tool or similar tool. Simply pry to wedge the tools head down in between the inside of the tab and the slot. This will cause the connector tab to loosen itself from its original wedged grip slot.

After you have successfully loosened the tabs, gently pull the bulb out. As it comes out it should come out witrh the tabs intact and look like so...

Now all you need from that bulb is of course the connector tabs. These tabs are what give power to the LED from the cluster panels circuit board via metal contact. One side is postitive the other is negative. That doesn't matter but I'm just noting it. Anyways, remove the tabs by twisting them off the wire. They will break right apart so don't worry, just twist ;). You'll have these and thats all you want. Discard the bulb now if you wish.

Next grab you some strands of good qualtiy wire. You'll need two strands for both positive and negative contacts from the LED. Braid or twist the wire so that its not a bunch of single strands and will make for a better connection all twisted together like so....

Ok, now onto the LED. You'll notice it has two leads coming from the bottom of it. Do one lead at the time to keep it easy work space. Simply twist your braided or twisted wires onto one of the leads of the LED.

Now comes the fun part. Solder! Well, I like to solder so its fun for me anyways ;). Simply begin to solder the twisted wire onto the LED lead so you'll have a nice solid connection like so....

Repeat the same steps to the other lead now....

Ok now you have both leads soldered securely. Now its time to solder them to the tabs. First you'll need to slide the tabs back down into the socket. They slide right down in their own slot like so....

Now grab your LED and make the wires you just soldered on, make them go up each side of the LED like so...

Now slide your LED into the socekt. You might notice it will be kinda snug from the solder being on there. Thats a good thing because you want it snug since these LEDs don't fit snug unless you solder them in ;). Make both stands come out along side the tabs on each side. Warp them under or over the connector tabs. Your preference. It should look like this now...

Zoomed in view of one side....

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, now all you have to do is solder the strands of wire onto and around the connector tabs like so...

Zoomed in view...

And thats it folks. Trim off any ecess wire and your all good to go. Took me maybe 10 minutes to solder these. Nothing to this so don't be worried if your one of the 05 folks and want some LEDs in your dash but don't want to hassle with going all over town trying to find older socekts.

Oh and just a cool front pic of what the new super star blue LEDs look like. Pretty cool huh?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Jesus that is a lot of work but looks tits bro ;)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ninja44 said:
Jesus that is a lot of work but looks tits bro ;)

Actually its not all that much work. I just took bunches of pics to make the process go easy and understandable for the next guy....

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. 194 wedge bulbs are typically what are found in most cars. If you guys have the ones like these bulbs where they are made in with the socket itself, you'll have to do the same or go find older wedge style sockets.

This looks more in depth than it really was so don't fear to do it this way if you guys do end up having the same type of dash lights. Its not all that hard and looks a ZILLION times better than how my stock dash looked (seafoam green lighting bleh). ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
i changed mine too, i used autolumination's Matrix bulbs.... (03 here sucka, no special work required) lol!

im glad people are getting rid of that indiglo green crap.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yeah, that is extremely nice. Where do you get the bulbs from??

·
Registered
79 Posts
Do the SRT 4s have the auto light feature that the cobalts have? That is to say, do the lights in the gauges/headlights/tail lights come on automatically via a sensor? i only ask because I wonder if that feature would cause issues in the cobalts...If it won't, I'll probably end up trying this on my cobalt.

·
Registered
441 Posts
No, SRTs dont have that. Its mainly Chevy for now, others are slow to add it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
dawhit99 said:
Has anyone tried this on the cobalt yet? If it's not too dificult I would try it cause it looks awesome.
dont effin do it to your cobalt...the lights are integrated into the circuit board...i pulled my gauge cluster apart to find out...and my gauges got all screwy, got my speedo working properly again and my rpm gauge too...but gas gauge is on the money sometimes and sometimes off..way off...so take some advice if you want a different color gauge cluster, get the overlay! dont disassemble anything!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts