Cobalts SS banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've been driving a stick for a LONG time, but have never asked this question before..

Just what IS double cluthcing, and how is it done?
I remember back in the early 80's that everyone complained about the 911's and how you had to do it on them, but never asked the question.

Maybe I'm just not too bright.

Thanks gang

·
Registered
72 Posts
I work with Class 8 trucks (Kenworth/Peterbilt) and you are supposed to double clutch on those, but they have unsynchronized transmissions. Basically, you put the clutch in once to pull the transmission out of gear, let the clutch out and then immediately push it back in to put the tranny back into the next gear. I don't know why this would ever be needed on a car because they have synchronized transmissions but someone else may be able to add to this.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Double clutching can become useful as the car's sychros start to go... that's for normal driving. The only times I double clutch are when the tranny's REAL cold and is being a little cranky or when downshifting...

1) Clutch in, out of gear
2) Let the clutch out as you're sliding through neutral and blip the throttle
3) Cluch in, into next gear, clutch out

A little bit of practice and you can do it really fast... makes your downshifts quicker and smoother

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, that's kinda what I thought as well. With the older "non-synchro" trannys, you'd have to do this, but I figured that would go away these days.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
34 Posts
heel toe is also a very nice way of shifting wit the car... i normally combine heel toe and double clutching together when racing... it takes some practice to get but once you figure it out i've shaved a few SECONDS off of my lap times due to extremly better turn manegment

·
Registered
186 Posts
crazybrew609 said:
heel toe is also a very nice way of shifting wit the car... i normally combine heel toe and double clutching together when racing... it takes some practice to get but once you figure it out i've shaved a few SECONDS off of my lap times due to extremly better turn manegment
exactly, heel toe is great for corners and double clutching to my understanding is as descibed above but basically to keep ur RPM's while racing.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Heel and toe driving is when you break and reach over with the same foot and hit the gas to raise the rpms all while you have the clutch in or double clutching. Then you downshift and release the clutch like they were saying. That way you dont have a harsh downshift and lock up the wheels.

Ive been practicing it while driving around town. Still trying to get a hang of it.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Butch Sosa said:
Heel and toe driving is when you break and reach over with the same foot and hit the gas to raise the rpms all while you have the clutch in or double clutching. Then you downshift and release the clutch like they were saying. That way you dont have a harsh downshift and lock up the wheels.

Ive been practicing it while driving around town. Still trying to get a hang of it.
I see, i think i might have to try that out because nothing get on my nerves more than when im down shifting and my car just bogs down. Thanks Butch.

Lol your sig cracks me up everytime.
Thanks i have it on there as a pick me up, i think its hilarious.
That and i play FPS. :)

http://media.putfile.com/FPS-doug if you want to see the vid.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Heel/toe is actually pretty easy... just note that it has nothing to do with your heel or your toe (name is a holdover from like the 20's when the gas pedal was in the middle).

The modern manouvre is more or less like this: while brakeing with the ball of your foot, use he left right edge of it to hit the gas pedal and bring up the RPMs. That's all there is to it... it really is dead simple. The only "trick" to the whole deal is getting past the "my foot MUST be exactly on the centre of the brake" complex that some people seem to have.

I drive like that normally, it's just a ton smoother. You'll know you've got it down when even you wonder if the car's actually in gear and you only find out when you tromp on the gas.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ok i still dont get how to double clutch and how it helps in racing??

·
Registered
241 Posts
CobaltGuy said:
Ok i still dont get how to double clutch and how it helps in racing??
It doesn't unless your heel/toe driving...and even then you dont have to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts