Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Low and behold. I'm sure the majority of you are experienced with driving this way. I for one have not been. I went out once or twice before, stalled as any begginer. Now I learned on my CobaltSS, and boy it is fun. I've got it down pretty well in a good 3-4 days of driving. It's so great on that open highway space....I love stick-shift :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Right on, good on you for learning.

Spending a LOT of time in the car for a few days is essential. I drove the car for at least an hour or two for three days straight when I first started learning, and had it down after that. I know others that have tried it, not driven it for a week, spent an hour in it again, then nothing for a week.... no good. You need some quality time in the car to get the 'feel' right.

Just take it easy, though. Don't abuse the car, and don't drive around like a madman. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
yay i learned stick too just the other day.
my father in law gave me his old 89 ford ranger 200k miles truck.lol

its a piece of junk that runs good! lol.

took me a couple days but i got the hang of it.

best advice i can give is no advice..lol nothing anyone says can help you learn it...its just a "feel" lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Mazda6 said:
yay i learned stick too just the other day.
my father in law gave me his old 89 ford ranger 200k miles truck.lol

its a piece of junk that runs good! lol.

took me a couple days but i got the hang of it.

best advice i can give is no advice..lol nothing anyone says can help you learn it...its just a "feel" lol.

Not really, if you're just learning the best advice to give someone is tell them to read up on the transmission itself.. not some how to drive guide but understanding the transmission itself will help.

Next for a beginner, while alot of people will say to "feel" the clutch thats just going to cause them to stall time and again. Start off lightly on the throttle get the engine up to about 1500 RPM's then gently let off the clutch.

If you get worried you're going to stall; off the throttle and on the clutch. Eventually you'll get it down, then you get to work on shifting without using the clutch. :cool:



If you've never driven and are wanting to learn, the most fun way to do so, is going to dealership to test drive a vehicle that has a standard transmission. While it gets you some time on it, the look on the salesmen's faces are priceless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
I say learn without the gas. It will teach the beginner where the engine engages rather than just blurring it with extra rpms. This will help them master more advanced manual skills, such as starting on a hill or even holding the vehicle at a stop on a hill with the clutch and gas pedal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
That is how I learned. I had to stop at a stop sign at teh top of a hill without using the brake, just balancing teh gas and clutch. Took me 5 hours of going around that block and stalling out but it was a great learning experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,187 Posts
Yeah i know i got to learn how to drive a clutch very soon i have never learned because of all the cars that are manual all of them are broke. :( But i have driven once in my frinds 91 Eagel Talon TSI but that was only one time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,648 Posts
I have more probs out of auto's LOL! My truck is a 5spd and everytime I get out of drivin an auto car I forget to put it in park and cant get the key out of the ignition. It annoys the shit out of me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,187 Posts
CoBIZZLE said:
I have more probs out of auto's LOL! My truck is a 5spd and everytime I get out of drivin an auto car I forget to put it in park and cant get the key out of the ignition. It annoys the shit out of me.
LOL i only did that once with my grandfather's Jeep but that was the only problems that i have had with auto's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
I learned to drive in a 89 CHevy Berretta GT and that thing was horrible, there was no first gear i had to start in 2nd gear, which i got a hang of but when i tried to drive my brothers redline i stalled it everytime cuz first gear is allot diffrent then 2nd gear starting out!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,187 Posts
nicholas said:
I learned to drive in a 89 CHevy Berretta GT and that thing was horrible, there was no first gear i had to start in 2nd gear, which i got a hang of but when i tried to drive my brothers redline i stalled it everytime cuz first gear is allot diffrent then 2nd gear starting out!!!
Holy crap no first gear that sucks.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top