·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stock 90-94 eclipse/talon/laser less than $5000

stock cobalt ss $20,000+

stock dsm runs 14.7 (car and driver)
stock ss runs 14.4 (car and driver)

in conclusion: is 15,000 dollars more worth it.???

i think not

·
Registered
20 Posts
ss-sucks said:

stock cobalt ss $20,000+

i think not

yeah uh... you sort of forgot

warranty
interior
cobalt ss looks alot better
reliability

Not everyone buys a car to run the 1/4 mile the fastest. Most people use their Cobalt as their daily driver. You go ahead and drive around in your early 90's mitsubishi while i'll enjoy how much technology has advanced. :D

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
i think that with cars, you get what you pay for. so if you're happy with your < 5000 car that's more than a decade old, go for it. i'll stick with my brand new car. also, the only dsm's that run those numbers are the top models (i.e. tsi and gsx), and good luck finding one of them, especially one in decent condition.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
ss-sucks said:

stock cobalt ss $20,000+

i think not
70-78 datsun z car under $500
.... stock qtr. mile 17+ sec.

$2000 mild V8 conversion 10s, 11s on slicks... 11s, 12s on street tires.

So is that $2500 worth it????

HAHAHA, NO.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
actually, if you really want a fast cheap car, pick up a nissan 240 sx, doesan't matter how many miles on it. get a silvia front clip (16-40 ish thousand miles on it) and with some modification you have a 3-4000 lb car with 300 rwhp. plus you have a 240 with a silvia front end, so when people see you driving they're like wtf was that?

·
Registered
7 Posts
DSM is crap

DSM is way overrated, I say this from experience, being the former owner of an AWD '93 Laser, an a FWD '94 TSI Talon. Sure, you can pick one up cheap, and they are descently quick, but the motor sucks a fat one. They burn more oil than a fat chick eats twinkies. Plus the transmissions are absolute junk! The bearings go out easily, transfer cases hold up about as a flag during a tornado, and if you ever need to get to anything on the back side of the motor (i.e. intake manifold; on most models) you're screwed unless you love tight quarters or want to drop a motor; need I go on?? There was a reason they stopped producing those cars you know.... can we say P.O.S??

I rest my case. ;)

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
maleficient said:
DSM is way overrated, I say this from experience, being the former owner of an AWD '93 Laser, an a FWD '94 TSI Talon. Sure, you can pick one up cheap, and they are descently quick, but the motor sucks a fat one. They burn more oil than a fat chick eats twinkies. Plus the transmissions are absolute junk! The bearings go out easily, transfer cases hold up about as a flag during a tornado, and if you ever need to get to anything on the back side of the motor (i.e. intake manifold; on most models) you're screwed unless you love tight quarters or want to drop a motor; need I go on?? There was a reason they stopped producing those cars you know.... can we say P.O.S??

I rest my case. ;)
Are you serious??? All cars have their problems. But there is no way you can call a DSM a "piece of crap" and you most definently can not call the 4g63 "sucky". And the reason they stopped making those cars is because the joint venture between Mitsubishi(Diamond) and Chrysler(Star) to build them ended.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
well there is always an easy way to get a fast car for cheap, but the are never as nice as cars that run the same times for more money.
like i could get an EVO to run as fast a a ferarri for way under the price of a one, but there is still a demand for ferraris because people want them for other reasons, not just for speed. Maybe for the name, maybe fr the quality, or maybe reliability, because an 11 sec EVO will be in the shop more than a ferrari
I know this is an extreme example compared to a cobalt VS dsm, but its still the same.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sean said:
well there is always an easy way to get a fast car for cheap, but the are never as nice as cars that run the same times for more money.
like i could get an EVO to run as fast a a ferarri for way under the price of a one, but there is still a demand for ferraris because people want them for other reasons, not just for speed. Maybe for the name, maybe fr the quality, or maybe reliability, because an 11 sec EVO will be in the shop more than a ferrari
I know this is an extreme example compared to a cobalt VS dsm, but its still the same.
I've seen a Ferrari get beat by an Audi TT.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
lol really? what mods did it have? cuz stock for stock a cobalt could beat one of those

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Sean said:
You can get an EVO to go 200+mph? :eek: Lol just teasing.

The top 5 best cars for cheap speed but not in order.

1. Datsun/Nissan Z/ZX/SX cars and 510s
2. '86-'93 5.0 Mustangs (might be wrong about exact years)
3. DSMs
4. Honda Civics and CRXs
5. Old Volkswagons, Karma Ghias and Beetles

I know those are more then 5 cars but hopefully you get the idea.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Sean said:
lol really? what mods did it have? cuz stock for stock a cobalt could beat one of those
Taken from motor trend....

2004 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro Coupe

Price, base $31,900
as tested $40,590
Vehicle layout Front engine, awd, 2-door, 2-pass
Engine 3.2L/250-hp V-6, DOHC, 4 valves/cyl
0-60 mph, sec 6.11/4 mile, sec @ mph 14.37 @ 97.23
Braking, 60-0, ft 119
Skidpad, g 0.86
600-ft slalom, mph, 65.7
On sale in U.S. Currently

:D

·
Registered
261 Posts
This guys a dork! I toasted a poorly modded dsm last night at the track. He ran a 15.05 and I ran a 14.73. Like what was said before, my car is under warranty!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.