Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
well you are only going to get true dual exhaust with a v-6,v-8,v-10 something with two sets of headers or something with split headers...what the cobalt would have would be a single pipe from the header back to the rearend then you could have it split to have two exhaust tips or a single, with this I don't believe there is a significant gain over the single outlet or dual outlet in the rear.
So now your dilemma would be what size of pipe to get, 2.5" or 3".
If you plan on having some high HP go with the 3", even if you don't really need it right away it will open up the doors for more power down the road with the more mods you add. Modern Performance is testing a 3" exhaust now go check out their section in the vendors area for more info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
I agree. Probably no real gain to be had until you start making very substantial power. If you were making much more power, had a large primary from the header, and a hi-flow or no cat, then maybe you could make a performance case for a dual setup. But until then, it's just cosmetics...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
There is no gain with a dual exhaust (in my opinion) not with these cars, heck I don't even know why they put that on my car, although it does look nice. But if you go with dual, you're ricing out your ride, unless it comes stock. Just my .02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
How is 2 tailpipes rice?
I swear that term gets thrown around way too much and by people that have no idea about what is and isn't.
Why do they put it on he asks....a specific reason other than looks, I'm not sure.
Compare performance vehicles from the last 40-50 years or so....name performance vehicles that had two tailpipes to those with only one, it just looks better.
Camaro's and T/A's fell into this as well with having a single exhaust pipe and splitting at the rear into dual (outlets).
Dual exhaust is two exhaust pipes seperated from each other from the engine to the rear....except for the occasional 'X' or 'H' pipe thrown in. One exhaust pipe on one header. One muffler for each pipe.
SRT/Cobalt/most other 4cyl are single exhaust with dual exhaust 'tips' at the rear of the car.



Something that may be considered rice would be those with a new rear bodykit with spots for two exhaust tips but the vehicle only has one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
the tips on those are probably ...3"-4" the mufflers are most likely about 5"-6". Myself, I just don't like to be able to see the muffler(s).


Edit:
Just so you have a better idea of idea of what Iw as talking about with single exhaust, dual tips (for those that may not know) here are some pics of the stock srt exhaust.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,648 Posts
mm_omega2 said:
the tips on those are probably ...3"-4" the mufflers are most likely about 5"-6". Myself, I just don't like to be able to see the muffler(s).


Edit:
Just so you have a better idea of idea of what Iw as talking about with single exhaust, dual tips (for those that may not know) here are some pics of the stock srt exhaust.
Hell yeah! STRAIGHT PIPES from the factory!!! Wish we coulda pulled that off!

Edit: on this note, there's a guy around here that has an SRT-4, ok first off he's a dumba$$, He has this powerful four cyl and can only hit a 10.3 in the 1/8. Couldnt figure out why. A friend of mine got to drive his car and pushed it to almost redline, and the SRT guy got pissed cuz he revved it so high. Thats why he's slow as shit, he launches like he's racin his lil sister on her ten speed and wont come within 500 of the redline. Anywho back to my point, I asked him if he knew that he had a straight pipe from the factory and he GOT DOWN AND LOOKED and said "No, they arent straight." I was like nevermind man... He doesnt even know what he's drivin!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
I have found this with quite a lot of people....sigh....
if you say straight pipe, people actually think the pipes are straight (not curved)
lol, and for those that thought this before.
Slang terms , straight pipe(s) mean you have no mufflers, just exhaust pipes. It doesn't mean that the exhaust pipes are actually straight from the front to the rear with no bends.
SRT-4 has no mufflers just 2 resonators, if you look in the 3rd pic I posted above you can see them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
mm_omega2 said:
How is 2 tailpipes rice?
I swear that term gets thrown around way too much and by people that have no idea about what is and isn't.
Why do they put it on he asks....a specific reason other than looks, I'm not sure.
Compare performance vehicles from the last 40-50 years or so....name performance vehicles that had two tailpipes to those with only one, it just looks better.
Camaro's and T/A's fell into this as well with having a single exhaust pipe and splitting at the rear into dual (outlets).
Dual exhaust is two exhaust pipes seperated from each other from the engine to the rear....except for the occasional 'X' or 'H' pipe thrown in. One exhaust pipe on one header. One muffler for each pipe.
SRT/Cobalt/most other 4cyl are single exhaust with dual exhaust 'tips' at the rear of the car.



Something that may be considered rice would be those with a new rear bodykit with spots for two exhaust tips but the vehicle only has one.

Anything that doesn't give performance over stock is consider as ricer in my book. Different people have different opinion on what ricer is, but this is my .02. Yes, it does look nice, but if there is no performance gain, other then looks, then in my book is consider as rice. I'm all go, not show. Now I understand that other's might not agree with me, but hey, everyone is entitle to their own opinion. This subject has been beaten down to death on the SRT forum as well, on why the SRT got dual tips, when all we really need is one. But if you guys want to get dual tips, be my guest, just make sure that when it's cold, and you're lined up at the track, that people don't only see one tip with steam coming out while the other tip is just sitting there. I was cracking up when I saw that on a Honda.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thts wht i was wondering if the second tip would just be pure cosmetic and not have any steam coming out of it while the other did in the cold? would this be the case for the cobalt and the modern performance exhaust?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
bullitzx2 said:
thts wht i was wondering if the second tip would just be pure cosmetic and not have any steam coming out of it while the other did in the cold? would this be the case for the cobalt and the modern performance exhaust?
Probably not, I'm pretty sure that if Modern makes a dual tip exhaust for your car, that it would probably be a functional dual tip exhaust. Meaning, steam should be coming out of both tips. Modern usually do a good job in making their parts, so I wouldn't worry about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Daul Exhaust is as unecessary for a 4 cylinder as a $2,000 body kit, giant aluminum wing or any other Rice addition would be. All it does is add weight and cost for a worthless modification. I have single exhaust on my car and I have 485 hp and 540 pounds of torque at the rear wheels.

On the other hand a single exhaust dual tip muffler isn't too bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
JDMCivic said:
Omega, I have never seen any pics of the SRT4 exhaust before. That is nucking futs.
Yeahm but I am glad I got rid of the stock anyway...the tips were jsut too smal for the cutouts in the bumper, the 4" tips I have now fill out the holes and looks a lot better. Along with better flow and a better exhaust note to boot.
That exhaust takes about 30 minutes to change out, old out new in and driving. That is knucking futs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
mm_omega2 said:
Yeahm but I am glad I got rid of the stock anyway...the tips were jsut too smal for the cutouts in the bumper, the 4" tips I have now fill out the holes and looks a lot better. Along with better flow and a better exhaust note to boot.
That exhaust takes about 30 minutes to change out, old out new in and driving. That is knucking futs
You have more cubic inches in your exhaust tips then you do in your motor! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
hooray for me..so my exhaust tips are more than 148 cubic inches?
I would have never known that if you wouldn't have taken your time to figure it out for me. You do add something to the site. Thanks. :D
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top