Cobalts SS banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I dynoed my car last weekend and Im happy with my #s.
231 whp and 190 ft/lb @ 15 psi
Mods: CAI, cat-back, and 3" pulley

Sorry, no scaner so I cant post up the print out but my buddy video taped it and that should be up soon.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Costom bent 2.5" into a magnaflow muffler. I plan on going up to 3" after this coming winter is over.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope. My butt dyno estimation would be pritty close to 205-210. My car was definatly not one of the 215-220whp stock ones.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
GM3saturn said:
Nope. My butt dyno estimation would be pritty close to 205-210. My car was definatly not one of the 215-220whp stock ones.
You don't feel horsepower, you feel torque. ;)

·
Registered
140 Posts
wasey13 said:
Unless you're in high gear and 5000rpm and climbing. Maybe your car doesn't make enough for YOU to feel.

Now as far as butt dyno numbers, I don't trust em. No official calibration methods. :D

Anyway good numbers, but you should dynoed the car before the swap so you could see how much of a gain you got. Or ran the car at the track, did you do that? You can compare mph from the different runs.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
DarricksZ28 said:
Unless you're in high gear and 5000rpm and climbing. Maybe your car doesn't make enough for YOU to feel.

Now as far as butt dyno numbers, I don't trust em. No official calibration methods. :D

Anyway good numbers, but you should dynoed the car before the swap so you could see how much of a gain you got. Or ran the car at the track, did you do that? You can compare mph from the different runs.
OOOOOOOOK. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
50 Posts
wasey13 said:
Correct. Torque is the force that hp is derived from. HP is only a number and nothing else. But LS1 guys already know that cause theyre some of the smartest people alive ;)

·
Registered
140 Posts
wasey13 said:
OOOOOOOOK. :rolleyes:
Anyway. Like I said in the other post. Whenever you're ready.

Gm3saturn, I see you have your track results in your sig. Good ET. Let us know when you run the car with the 3" pulley. Speaking of track times, the Cobalt is going to the track Friday night with a brand new set of BFG Drag radials. We'll be running the car with the new alcohol inj kit with a "special brew" in the tank and a .038 nitrous jet. The car went [email protected] with a .036 and the 3.25" pulley only. So if everything goes well the car should run that 13 sec pass he's been hoping so much for.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Rich said:
Correct. Torque is the force that hp is derived from. HP is only a number and nothing else. But LS1 guys already know that cause theyre some of the smartest people alive ;)
You can come too.

But just to throw it out there, explain how a 2.0L Honda 4cyl can make 5-600hp but only 3-400 or less ft-lbs of torque? Just curious because I don't know the theory behind it. But I do know you can build an engine that makes tons of horsepower up top but torque is not that great and vice versa. Intake runner length, port volume, header primary lengths, duration, stuff like that affect horsepower and torque. What about diesels? Turbo diesels making 4 digit torque numbers, but considerably less 3 digit horsepower? Explain it please. Build an engine for producing excellent torque numbers only and you'll be disappointed on the big end, and the same goes for an engine built for high horsepower but the disappointment will be down low. Feel free to explain because like I said I don't know the theory behind it. But I have built engines and helped build engines for performance use. And I'm not an LS1 guy, I'm a Chevy guy. I was in this WAY before the GEN III engine came on the scene.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Rich said:
Where am I going? LS1 land?? WHOO HOOO!!!! I hope youre buying it for me LOL :p
No, come out for some good ole street racing. Money or fun. I promise we won't send you home too broke. :D

·
Registered
416 Posts
HP vs torque formula ...

HP = Torque x RPM / 5252

Example : 300 ft-lbs (torque) x 8000 RPM /5252 = 456 HP

The higher RPM you go (like a race Honda engine), the less torque you have.

It's why (for example) a Formula one car makes about 900 HP @ 18 000 RPM and only 262 ft-lbs of torque at this RPM.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
DarricksZ28 said:
You can come too.

But just to throw it out there, explain how a 2.0L Honda 4cyl can make 5-600hp but only 3-400 or less ft-lbs of torque? Just curious because I don't know the theory behind it. But I do know you can build an engine that makes tons of horsepower up top but torque is not that great and vice versa. Intake runner length, port volume, header primary lengths, duration, stuff like that affect horsepower and torque. What about diesels? Turbo diesels making 4 digit torque numbers, but considerably less 3 digit horsepower? Explain it please. Build an engine for producing excellent torque numbers only and you'll be disappointed on the big end, and the same goes for an engine built for high horsepower but the disappointment will be down low. Feel free to explain because like I said I don't know the theory behind it. But I have built engines and helped build engines for performance use. And I'm not an LS1 guy, I'm a Chevy guy. I was in this WAY before the GEN III engine came on the scene.
Look at the redline difference, gearing differences, displacement, sooooooo many things.

Horsepower = Torque*RPM / 5252

Torque = Horsepower*5252 / RPM

Most honda motors redline at 7500+(9k on some) and the ones making 700-900hp and 400-500ft/lbs reach there peak HP number way after that 5252RPM where torque and horsepower are always the same. Now high displacement motors that don't rev as high (V8s) usually reach there peak torque number before that 5252RPM and peak horsepower right around or close to it. So the rest of the power band is almost useless(LS1-7s are changing that a bit).

I keep saying horsepower is more important then torque. Cause it is. But so you guys don't keep biting my head off, how about this... the heavier your vehicle is or gets the more important torque and gearing becomes. Thats why diesal trucks have a shitload of gears and even more torque. And Hondas (most FWD/light cars) need more horsepower, cause it doesn't take a lot of torque to get them moving.

Annddd this could go on forever. Let's just let bigons be bigons.

·
Banned
50 Posts
DarricksZ28 said:
No, come out for some good ole street racing. Money or fun. I promise we won't send you home too broke. :D
Hmmm, ok. I wasnt being sarcastic. I really meant what I said when I said LS1 guys are some of the smartest on the planet. Stupid internet portraying false sarcassm :rolleyes: :p
My car is a 14 second car. I aint street racing anything lol :(

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well, like I said I don't know the theory and the math behind it, I just know what works on the street. I leave all that theory stuff to the engineers and such and build what wins races. Or I hope wins races. But thanks for the lesson. I did a search and found the WHOLE story behind it, and I must say it is interesting.

You can do plenty street racing with a 14 sec ride, just ask for lengths and drive your car. And you'd be suprised what can happen in the street.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts