Cobalts SS banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have the directions for sportline spring install? I am a 57 year-old mechanic, so I can handle it, but it would be great to have a heads up before I get into it. This is a friend's son's car. I'm one of those SHHHHHH mustang guys. LOL

Thanks in advance.

If it's easier just email them to [email protected]

1/4 mile dyno VID

·
Registered
273 Posts
NICE! Anyway my sportlines are enroute. If I am crazy lucky I get them tomorrow, most likely Monday or Tuesday. I will scan them for you then if noone else can before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Mrmaasta, that would be great, thanks. I have a little time.

Joedashow, thanks man, it's taken 10 years to get it where it is.
11.5 @ 120

Glad to see young guys still buying Chevys, Fords , and Dodges. LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thought I would finish this thread up. We installed the springs today, really quite easy. I used a homemade spring compressor (have machine shop), just to take most of the load off, just till you could shake the spring.

One side at a time, compress the spring, use 13/16 deep socket and air impact to remove strut nut, remove sway bar link nut 18mm, remove strut studs (18mm socket and brass hammer)(the studs are knurled like wheel studs), take out assembly, swap parts, didn't need to use compressor to reinstall, just guide the top in carefully while jacking it into place. Use the nuts to pull the knurled studs back in.

Rears were very easy, remove upper brake hose bracket (10mm socket), remove lower shock bolts 15/16 socket impact, while supporting axle mounts, remove springs, replace, attach brake hose brackets, support, and replace shock bolts.

The car looked great, like a factory BMW stance. lowered about 2 1/2 ", we had to block it up with 2x4s to get it off the lift. On a scale of 1-10 I would give it a 3 for the backyard mechanic.

We took 3 hours on a lift, but we were taking our time, and I was not familiar with the car. I could do another in 1 to 1.5 hours. On the ground with hand tools, I would say 4 hours. Just be careful with loaded springs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thought I would finish this thread up. We installed the springs today, really quite easy. I used a homemade spring compressor (have machine shop), just to take most of the load off, just till you could shake the spring.

One side at a time, compress the spring, use 13/16 deep socket and air impact to remove strut nut, remove sway bar link nut 18mm, remove strut studs (18mm socket and brass hammer)(the studs are knurled like wheel studs), take out assembly, swap parts, didn't need to use compressor to reinstall, just guide the top in carefully while jacking it into place. Use the nuts to pull the knurled studs back in.

Rears were very easy, remove upper brake hose bracket (10mm socket), remove lower shock bolts 15/16 socket impact, while supporting axle mounts, remove springs, replace, attach brake hose brackets, support, and replace shock bolts.

The car looked great, like a factory BMW stance. lowered about 2 1/2 ", we had to block it up with 2x4s to get it off the lift. On a scale of 1-10 I would give it a 3 for the backyard mechanic.

We took 3 hours on a lift, but we were taking our time, and I was not familiar with the car. I could do another in 1 to 1.5 hours. On the ground with hand tools, I would say 4 hours. Just be careful with loaded springs.
Very nice mod. I was wondering if this car could use a fender pull in the back and some more tuck. nice car though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts