Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it did it to me again. Stopped at a light and bam, no go. I don’t know if this has anything to do with it or not. I had my A/C on when this happened. This is the first time I had the A/C on since it did it to me last time. Now that I think about it, I had the A/C on the last two times that it happened. This sucks. You never know when it is going to happen. One moment you are cruising down the road just fine, the next minute you are dead at a light.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I have taken it to the deal and they have not been able to find anything wrong with it. You see, by the time the car sites for an awhile the problem goes away. So when you that it into the dealers, it’s bad to working great.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is what happens.

1st time:05/10/2006
To night the wife and I drove the Cobalt to the restaurant for dinner. The drive there was great, the car ran fine. After dinner we got in the car and it started up just fine as usual. So we head out, after being on the road for about a quarter of a mile we have to stop at a light. Everything seemed fine. The light turn green, I go to take off and the car stalls out. Start it back up, no problem, go to take off and it stalls. It did this three times. So, I start it up the fourth time and away we go. The car sputtering and jerking all the way home like it was misfiring. By the time we got home it sounded like a back fire. This is the first time I have had any problem like this with the car. I hope that it will fine in the morning after it set overnight. Has this happened to anyone else?

2nd time: 05/30/06
It did it again tonight on my way home from work. About 15 minutes after leaving the parking lot I had to stop at a red light. When the light turned green, I went to take off and it stalled. Restarted fine, it took around 3500 - 4000 RPM’S to get it to move and not stall out.

Then it started to sputter like it was missing. I checked the temp, it was 202 F. I had about a mile more to go to get home. Every time I stopped, it stalled out but would restart with no problem. The hotter it got the worst it got. By the time I got home the temp was 210 F and almost a like a constant back fine / miss and the supercharger would make a very loud whine and then back to normal.

I let the car set for an hour and a half and it stated up fine and no more sputtering. The temp was 168 F. I took it for a 10 mile drive and the temp never got above 189 F.

Maybe it has some thing to do with the temperature. I will be keeping an eye on the temp to see if they could be related.

And now a 3rd time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
since i have had this problem, you have, and so has kellyperformance...should we be keeping track so that when it comes time to take this to somebody other than the "dealers" we have a record of when it happens??? this is starting to get on my nerves. if this many people are having this problem, shouldnt there be a recall of some kind???

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
there is a new tsb out for the rough idle problem and a new reflash as well. go to your dealer and ask about it... maybe the new reflash will solve your very odd problem.

·
Registered
382 Posts
because i have a busy schedule, i don't have time today to search the forums to see any stage 2-related probs...does anyone know of any? i have one on the way but am nervous about having it installed (which the dealer will do--it IS a brand new car, after all).

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
xravenwingsx said:
because i have a busy schedule, i don't have time today to search the forums to see any stage 2-related probs...does anyone know of any? i have one on the way but am nervous about having it installed (which the dealer will do--it IS a brand new car, after all).
there are no problems related to installation of a stage two kit. except for maybe a heavy foot :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
1BADSS said:
Well it did it to me again. Stopped at a light and bam, no go. I don’t know if this has anything to do with it or not. I had my A/C on when this happened. This is the first time I had the A/C on since it did it to me last time. Now that I think about it, I had the A/C on the last two times that it happened. This sucks. You never know when it is going to happen. One moment you are cruising down the road just fine, the next minute you are dead at a light.
My '05 SS s/c has done the same thing. Intermittantly it just sputters along with no power until it's shut off for about five minutes or so. Seems to me that it only happens while the ac is on too. The clock on the deck resets to 1200, the last time the tach quit working all together as well. The check engine light came on only once, the first time this happened. So far its happened three times. I'm going to take it back to the dealer next week, it would be in there right now if the dealership was in the same town as me.

It will be interesting to see what the mechanic says, I'm glad its under warranty.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Mine has done it to me four times as of yesterday. It only has done it with the A/C on. Just turn it off for a few minutes and everything is fine. I have not noticed anything else not working at the time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds like a loose connection

yawney said:
My '05 SS s/c has done the same thing. Intermittantly it just sputters along with no power until it's shut off for about five minutes or so. Seems to me that it only happens while the ac is on too. The clock on the deck resets to 1200, the last time the tach quit working all together as well. The check engine light came on only once, the first time this happened. So far its happened three times. I'm going to take it back to the dealer next week, it would be in there right now if the dealership was in the same town as me.

It will be interesting to see what the mechanic says, I'm glad its under warranty.
The way your explaining the problem it sound like a loose or bad connection.
Check the battery connections or the connection for power to the fuse box.
If these connections are weak ,the more current you draw the hotter they get and the worse the connection and the voltage actually drop which will also cause problems with the ignition (the pcm module will try and compensate for the low voltage.).Your max draw would be with the air con on because the rad fans turn on plus the heater blower is also running.
look for abnormal discoloration .
When it cools down the connection will be good again!Until it evenyually fail or burns off completly.
My best guess.!
Sorry about the long explination :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
You may have a leak after the MAF sensor in your cold air intake. Had a similar problem with a cold air intake in a Ford Focus. This does not explain the electrial problems you are having.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys n gals

No more problems as of late, but I just took her into the dealer today. they said there was 6 codes stored, one of which being something to do with the crank position sensor, another to do with the O2 sensor.

I'll post whatever they find.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts