Cobalts SS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bare aluminum mesh stood out a little too much for my liking so I blacked it out. It pretty much disappeared when I did that and created some funky visual effect with the crosshatch in the mesh and the lines of the condenser, didn't look right IMO. So I blacked out the bottm 4 inches or so of the condenser. Happy with it now.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
WifesSS said:
The bare aluminum mesh stood out a little too much for my liking so I blacked it out. It pretty much disappeared when I did that and created some funky visual effect with the crosshatch in the mesh and the lines of the condenser, didn't look right IMO. So I blacked out the bottm 4 inches or so of the condenser. Happy with it now.
Are you serious?????? Did you use spray paint? :eek: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
WifesSS said:
It looks good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wasey13 said:
I would not joke about such a thing ;)

black, low gloss engine enamel spray bomb

·
Registered
306 Posts
the license plate thingy has got to go

·
Registered
137 Posts
So you insulated the AC condenser with black paint......I hope the thing still works. Ordinary spray paint on alum is quite a good insulator.
Sneaky of GM to put the condenser out front, gives that massive intercooler look.
The wire screen/mesh seems like a good idea, as long as it doesn't mess up the airflow.

As for the liscense plate mount, how rude of GM to sheet metal screw it to the front facia. I took mine off, and aren't those holes lovely. I'm sure I'll get a ticket, here in Oregon, a front plate is required.

Ron

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
498Nova said:
So you insulated the AC condenser with black paint......I hope the thing still works. Ordinary spray paint on alum is quite a good insulator.

Ron
That is why I said this....
wasey13 said:

·
Registered
97 Posts
wasey13 said:
That is why I said this....
Looks as if he only sprayed 4-6 inches of it. I think it's only 20% of it, not something to worry about, it works sitting there idling. Unless you live in AZ, or other hot spot areas. If he sprayed the whole thing with paint, ya I too would be scratching my head? :eek: It gets covered with dirt and bugs to :)If all else fails, captain we lost AC, what to do, proceed! :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, the engine paint that I use has high solids content and goes on very thin. There is just enough on the bottom 4 inches of the condenser to darken it, not a heavy coat, and it's really only the front edge of the fins and tubes that are painted. Most of the heat transfer happens on the top and bottom of the tubes through the thickness of the condenser, which are still bare.

I understand your concern , but IMHO, it will be fine.

Maybe the black will let me see how much the condenser gets blasted with road debris over time.

Front plate is required here,(just took it off for the pic), the crappy riveted on bracket stays.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts