Cobalts SS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally ran down at the local strip. A recent guy I met in town(only redline owner I know of) convinced my to go with him to the strip so we did. The power was down for some reason but they still let people race although untimed:( sucks my first runs I couldn't even get timed but oh well. He just wanted to see what my car could do. I'm fairly new to drag racing and street racing so I was a little nervous. Anyway we lined up and we were off, I spun real bad through first and lost but just by a car lenth or so. We lined up again and I hit it good this time and beat him by 2-3 cars. I was shocked and asked him if he messed up at all and he said he didn't he ran one of his best runs yet but yet I beat him :D He said man I knew I shoulda waited for the SS and just laughed. BTW he runs anywhere from 9.4 to 9.8 at our 1/8th mile track. I can't wait to go back and see what times I can get!

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Sweet! I was hopin for at least mid 9's. Thats good to hear, I think 13's will be EASILY achieved with small mods. Some are sayin high 13's could be possible stock, but I would probably have to wait til that happened to believe it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Any idea what mid 9 would be in 1/4? I added some pics of his redline on my gallery.

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Theoretically, you if you go by mathmatical statistics....
If you run a 9.5 in the 1/8 you have traveled half the distance of a 1/4.

Ignore this part its just an example: Lets say you trapped 70mph. You're starting speed was 0mph, so you're avg speed was around 35mph.

Since you're already traveling at twice your average speed of the first 1/8 and still accelerating it should take you about half the amount of time to cover the last 1/8(or less since your still accelerating). So 9.5 x 1.5 (the 1 is the first 1/8, the .5 is the second 1/8, and they are added) so 9.5x1.5= 14.25. a 9.4 would equate to a 14.1. a 9.3 would be a 13.95.

Now this is just theoretically speaking. This is ignoring how good or bad the conditions are, driver skill, vehicle, etc etc. All will make a HUGE difference when they are changed as variables.... This is just the way I set my goals. If I ran a 9.5 in an 1/8 then I would shoot for a 14.25 in a 1/4.

Again THIS WILL NOT TELL YOU what you will run. Its just how I try to guesstimate my goals.... but it makes mathematical sense.

·
Registered
15 Posts
you can't always compare 1/8th and 1/4 mile times...

My friend has an LT1 Camaro and when me and him raced through the 1/4 we had damn near the same 1/8th mile time(My 8.80 to his 9.0) but I finished with a 13.40 @106 and he finished with a 13.8 @101...

5mph difference in the last 660 ft., thats a big difference...

So on different cars, its hard to compare, there is no "universal" method, you just have to know the car...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts