Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was drivin down the road about 30 minutes ago when this truck come sup outta nowhere and starts slowing down once he runs out in front of me. i seen it had an svt logo on the back but the truck was black and it was dark as well, i couldn't see all of the badges. i thought the only svt truck they made was a lightning, and i thought those things were supposed to be fast as piss with over 350hp IIRC.. it's not as fast as i thought originally.

i caught up with the guy, hit third, at about 80 we both took off and right off the bat i started inching away from him and had about 5+ cars on him when i shut down at around 130-135.

i really don't know if it was a lightning or if it was a misbadged truck, whatever it was it sounded mean as hell and i won :D

if anyone can chime in that knows if ford makes any other svt truck other than the lightning? i don't know anything about ford pickups.

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Yeah their balls are down low. Autos only. If you woulda went from a dig he prolly woulda raped you. Watch out.

·
Registered
227 Posts
yeah, 380hp and 425lb torque...they are no slouches on the street or track.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
CoBIZZLE said:
Yeah their balls are down low. Autos only. If you woulda went from a dig he prolly woulda raped you. Watch out.
They have power up top too. Just the aerodynamics of a brick. ;) Also more drivetrain loss then a Cobalt. I think if they would have went from 50 or below the Lighting would have walked till 110 or so.

What year was it? If it was newer (2001-2004) it had 380hp and 450ft/lbs.. The 1995s and older had 240hp and 380ft/lbs.. 1999 and 2000 they had 360hp and 440ft/lbs.. Stop throwing numbers out there people.

·
Registered
74 Posts
CoBIZZLE said:
actually, they are pretty damn fast no matter where they start a race

they have the power to really get out of the hole

and when rolling, they dont have to work so hard to break their massive inertia.

buddy of mine has a 2002 harley f150. same engine as a lightning, except it runs less boost and has 4 doors. with just an intake and a lightning pulley he was able to keep up with a stock 03 srt4 till 130mph

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Nocturn said:
dont forget the lightning weighs in at 4700 LBS in 2 door form...
Weight only effects acceleration. And once moving aerodynamics is more important then weight. In reference to already going 80mph. :)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nocturn said:
dont forget the lightning weighs in at 4700 LBS in 2 door form...

:eek:

haha so i did kill a lightning... no way in hell i would try to race from a low speed with that kind of power/torque ;)

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
selfinfliction said:
:eek:

haha so i did kill a lightning... no way in hell i would try to race from a low speed with that kind of power/torque ;)
You did or your car did? You only shifted once or twice. :p lol

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it's like when those things get over 75mph they just slow down.. i bet the 1/8 times are pretty good

guess that's what you get with a 4700 pound bread basket lol

·
Registered
227 Posts
wasey13 said:
They have power up top too. Just the aerodynamics of a brick. ;) Also more drivetrain loss then a Cobalt. I think if they would have went from 50 or below the Lighting would have walked till 110 or so.

What year was it? If it was newer (2001-2004) it had 380hp and 450ft/lbs.. The 1995s and older had 240hp and 380ft/lbs.. 1999 and 2000 they had 360hp and 440ft/lbs.. Stop throwing numbers out there people.
Gee. I guess my friends 02 L's ford factory sticker must be throwing bogus hp numbers out there too. Let me write a letter to his service rep.

·
Banned
98 Posts
selfinfliction said:
no way a regular ford pickup was keeping that close to me. i just don't see that being a possibility
perhaps an older lightning
the latest model lightnings just have too much power, and due to the fact that they are auto's you cant bring the "driver" factor into it from a roll.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I forgot which but its the 05 or 07 lighing that will be shelling out 500RWHP and 500RWT. Gonna be badass once it comes out!!

·
Registered
498 Posts
^^^ The next generation lightning was scrapped. Don't know if it's forever, or temporary. SVT has replaced it with the '07 SVT Adrenaline (Sport Trac). It's a souped-up Explorer Sport Trac, with AWD, 6-speed auto, and 390hp. Using same powerplant '03-'04 snakes have (4.6L DOHC supercharged). Looks like a nice ride. Said to be lighter than the Lightnings, but with more power and AWD!! It's not a concept, and wiil be out fall '06.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A friend of mine has a Lightning and he has a smaller pulley and an exhaust on it and he pretty much brutally molesters my stock cobalt on a regular basis. God, I can't wait for my warranty to go out.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts