Cobalts SS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SS has about 3200mi on it now.... Ive noticed if im in 1st and take up to 3k+ then shift into 2nd... As im bringing it into second I can hear what sounds like gears grinding... I mean its not like the trannys blowing up... But it is pretty noticeable... Anybody else have this ? Didnt know If I should ask when I take it in for oil change and pass door leather ...I have a feeling it might be normal.. but it doesnt sound normal

·
Registered
895 Posts
Are you mistaking normal gear whine/noise or is this a grind as in you can feel something is grinding. All heavy duty trannies have a more audible gear whine/noise than most normal trannies. Its normal if its gear whine.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i thought it might be normal... but its not like an engagment clunk... Its like 2 moving gears scraping together... I guess I should mention as well that sometimes (maybe once every 10-15 attempts)... When I put it into reverse it grinds.... I was thinking maybe the linkage was out of adjustment or something... I suppose when i take it in ill ask them to look at it...

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's funny you guys bring this up. I have an automatic SS 2.4L, I notice that around the 2500rpm to 3000rpm range at slow acceleration. The tranny tends to be louder and vibrate more than normally it would when going thru the RPMs rather quickly.

I also notice that at low speeds 40mph or 30mph in final gear, I feel some vibrations happening. It's almost like the car needs to be screaming thru the gears and needs to mantain a higher rate of speed.

Let me know your thoughts guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts