Cobalts SS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The autozone down the road from my place is moving to a new building and was having some major clearance on some overstock. Turns out they had quite a few K&N filters for around $30 vs the $60ish they were originally going for......I forgot which part number it is I bought, I'll have to look at the box. Anyway, I knew it wouldn't fit, so I sawed off the top portion off, taking about a half inch off the entire filter. I cleaned off the residue as much as possible then took four pieces of gutter screen and cut it to fit the hole, then used some wire crimps to crimp it around tightly. I also took some of the top off the portion I cut to make a barrier around the hole on the bottom of the intake box to shield from unwanted debris from going up into the intake tubing (although the four gutter screens make a nice shield in themselves). It works great so far, can't say much for a SOTP difference, but the blower whine is definitely louder, and it seems to rev a little smoother/easier. It was pretty late when I finished, so I didn't bother to take pics. Maybe this weekend or so.

·
Registered
509 Posts
tofu said:
The autozone down the road from my place is moving to a new building and was having some major clearance on some overstock. Turns out they had quite a few K&N filters for around $30 vs the $60ish they were originally going for......I forgot which part number it is I bought, I'll have to look at the box. Anyway, I knew it wouldn't fit, so I sawed off the top portion off, taking about a half inch off the entire filter. I cleaned off the residue as much as possible then took four pieces of gutter screen and cut it to fit the hole, then used some wire crimps to crimp it around tightly. I also took some of the top off the portion I cut to make a barrier around the hole on the bottom of the intake box to shield from unwanted debris from going up into the intake tubing (although the four gutter screens make a nice shield in themselves). It works great so far, can't say much for a SOTP difference, but the blower whine is definitely louder, and it seems to rev a little smoother/easier. It was pretty late when I finished, so I didn't bother to take pics. Maybe this weekend or so.

I completely understand what you did, but I dont think is a good idea. A few things comes up in my mind. One, did you ruin the rubber on the inlet side that suppose to stop vacuum leaks. Two, cleaning out the debris as much as you can will not be good enough, because, by you cutting it paper flakes will develop & go into the engine. Good thing its only paper, but Im anal, I wouldnt want anything doing into my engine.

:D

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
YellowSXT said:
I completely understand what you did, but I dont think is a good idea. A few things comes up in my mind. One, did you ruin the rubber on the inlet side that suppose to stop vacuum leaks. Two, cleaning out the debris as much as you can will not be good enough, because, by you cutting it paper flakes will develop & go into the engine. Good thing its only paper, but Im anal, I wouldnt want anything doing into my engine.

:D
Yeah I was a bit skeptical at first. And I'll be replacing it with a CAI when it comes out. One thing though, is I used a ban saw on the filter, it was a very, very clean straight cut, i'll have to get pics of it. The rubber inlet remains untouched.

·
Registered
509 Posts
tofu said:
Yeah I was a bit skeptical at first. And I'll be replacing it with a CAI when it comes out. One thing though, is I used a ban saw on the filter, it was a very, very clean straight cut, i'll have to get pics of it. The rubber inlet remains untouched.

Cool

·
Registered
392 Posts
:eek: Maybe I am just crazy but I wouldn't be cutting up things and "Ghetto Rigging" them on my brand new $24,000 sports car. I would just wait and spend the right amount of money on something legit.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I figured if people are bypassing solenoids, splicing computer wires, and making whole custom cold air intakes, putting in my own K&N filter wouldn't be too bad. I think you guys are under the impression I took a handsaw to it and tore it up lol. But anyway, I'll be buying a legit CAI once available. :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
tofu said:
Well I figured if people are bypassing solenoids, splicing computer wires, and making whole custom cold air intakes, putting in my own K&N filter wouldn't be too bad. I think you guys are under the impression I took a handsaw to it and tore it up lol. But anyway, I'll be buying a legit CAI once available. :)
Cool... :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Please tell me you did NOT remove the residue on the new filter. That's K&N oil. It helps trap the dirt. If you removed it then you have reduced your filter's ability to trap particles.

If you did wipe it all off then please do your car a favor and go buy the K&N Recharge kit. Oil that filter back up according to the directions before you score your bores.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hitthecones said:
Please tell me you did NOT remove the residue on the new filter. That's K&N oil. It helps trap the dirt. If you removed it then you have reduced your filter's ability to trap particles.

If you did wipe it all off then please do your car a favor and go buy the K&N Recharge kit. Oil that filter back up according to the directions before you score your bores.
Oiled it before I re-installed it.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
i made one without hurting anything. the bottom of the filter box can still be put on and sealed, leaving water out, and also i did not cut the neck so there are no leaks at all. i have the p/n. email me for help or if u want me to make u one. K&N p/n-E 0774

1 - 10 of 10 Posts