Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea i got owned, no suprise though haha thought id tell ya all. Both pulled out of the lot, going 40 we both hit it, i took him off the start for about 5 sec. then he just started to pull anddddd pull and pull haha. Thing was nice though. He had exhaust and rims, nothin special. But we stopped and talked, that was the last weekend with it for awhile, hes upgradeing the turbo with abunch of other mods. Thought it was kind of funny though, kind of a waste of gas. lol

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Thats ok though... sometimes its fun to waste a little gas here and there. And if the people arent too snotty or uptight, as in your case, you can make some good friends too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Going from a 40 roll he should not have been able to "pull anddddd pull and pull".
From a dig yes...well are you bone stock?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I really don't know what is so special about the MR's. I thought all evo were the same, which is why I don't understand why he pulled. I've seen a SS/SC beat an evo from a 5 roll and the SS/SC only had drop in filter, exhaust and ITD.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I really don't know what is so special about the MR's. I thought all evo were the same, which is why I don't understand why he pulled. I've seen a SS/SC beat an evo from a 5 roll and the SS/SC only had drop in filter, exhaust and ITD.
Thats what I'm thinking. The way he described him as pulling and pulling aaaaannnnd pulling doesn't make sense unless the EVO had a healthy mod list.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Thats what I'm thinking. The way he described him as pulling and pulling aaaaannnnd pulling doesn't make sense unless the EVO had a healthy mod list.
sonds like he hustled you and lied about his mods, but then again they are super fast out of the factory, it really wouldnt take much fo rthose things to be real quick.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
So what is the difference between the Evo MR and other Evos's like the 8 or 9?

·
Registered
1 Posts
the difference between the evo and the evo MR is the MR comes with a 6 speed tranny and is a tad bit lighter... the 8 and 9 have a lot of differences the 9 has more hp plus it has mivec(vvt) turbo, different front end, etc And yes evo's are fast as hell out of the box, I drove two of them...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I don't doubt they are fast out of the box. That would have to do with the awd. But, when they have to stretch their legs for a 1/4 they aren't any faster than a stock SS/SC. The race I talked about above was from a 5 roll, as requested by the EVO. On their way back down they raced from a dig and teh Evo won by 3/4 car.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well he didnt pull and pull anddddd pull kind of made it sound worse than it was lol but i had him for a little but then he was next to me and shifting to 4th is when he started to pull the end wasnt so so bad 5 cars maybe. And yes im stock other than exhaust. I think i could have had it to 4 cars or maybe a little less.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i have raced a few cobalt's in my evo 9. they never stood a chance. this is from a 40mph roll. all i have done is exhaust, and yes they were all supercharged. my friend has one. they are quik cars. but you cant really compare. the cobalt does 14.8 in the 1/4 and the evo does 13.2.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
any stock cobalt hanging with a stock evo means the evo driver sucks at life. my friends bone stock evo whoops on me from any mph roll dig whatever. we gps verified his car to 160 mph. so it's definately got a better top end as well. tell me a stock cobalt will hit 160 mph and i will tell you that you are a liar.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I've heard the fuel cut off is at 159mph, and I have driven mine to 150mph with some room to go, but didn't want to. Take it for what you will. Also, define "stock." I accept a TRD supercharged 4-runner, tacoma, or scion tc as stock because it can come from the dealer that way, so by definition a GM stage 1 or 2 cobalt SS/SC could be "stock" as well since you could have possibly bought a car from the dealer that way, and I know somebody who did. And then, I've heard that because of the reflash the SS/SC could possibly acheive 170mph.

Also, check www.nastyss.com for a video of a red SS/SC racing a black evo.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
that myspace is set to private.

also, the cobalt fuel cutoff is at 158 iirc but a stock cobalt cannot achieve that. the car has enough gearing to get that high, but it runs out of power. the car is drag limited to roughly 145 mph. which would be about right with your speedo reading 150 since the speedo is slightly fast, and the difference in what the speedo says and what you're actually doing becomes larger the greater the speed. when my speedo says 70, i'm doing 67-68 according to my garmin gps.

i also don't believe that staged cobalts or trd supercharged yotas count as stock, since they did not come from the factory that way. dealer installed is a while different ballpark.

·
Registered
231 Posts
i have raced a few cobalt's in my evo 9. they never stood a chance. this is from a 40mph roll. all i have done is exhaust, and yes they were all supercharged. my friend has one. they are quik cars. but you cant really compare. the cobalt does 14.8 in the 1/4 and the evo does 13.2.
A 1 sec diff is a "drivers race" around here... so what's 1.6? :p

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
that myspace is set to private.

also, the cobalt fuel cutoff is at 158 iirc but a stock cobalt cannot achieve that. the car has enough gearing to get that high, but it runs out of power. the car is drag limited to roughly 145 mph. which would be about right with your speedo reading 150 since the speedo is slightly fast, and the difference in what the speedo says and what you're actually doing becomes larger the greater the speed. when my speedo says 70, i'm doing 67-68 according to my garmin gps.

i also don't believe that staged cobalts or trd supercharged yotas count as stock, since they did not come from the factory that way. dealer installed is a while different ballpark.
Iso, this is where I know you are completely wrong. The Cobalt can go much faster than 145mph. I know because I have done it. I have hit 150 in my car and was still accelerating. I didn't go faster because I knew the road was crap and din't want to risk totalling my car (very hipocritical, but lay off). So I dropped back down to speed limit.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Iso, this is where I know you are completely wrong. The Cobalt can go much faster than 145mph. I know because I have done it. I have hit 150 in my car and was still accelerating. I didn't go faster because I knew the road was crap and din't want to risk totalling my car (very hipocritical, but lay off). So I dropped back down to speed limit.
i said about 145, it really depends on air density. as i recall you are at altitude where the air is thinner. most cars are compared at sea level such as where i live. and always remember your speedo would be off by 5+ mph at those speeds. i'm not dumb enough to try that in my car but i handed my friend my gps and told him to be careful since that was what he wanted to do i'm not gonna stop him. my garmin stores the highest acheived top speed in it's memory and when he came back it was at ~160. and i highly doubt that at 145 you were accelerating very hard, you probly had a couple more mph to go before you hit the drag limited speed. though i don't know since you're at altitude and i'm not, and all cars will behave different at altitude.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts