Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am very embarrassed to say that I got my ass handed to me by a black SRT-4 today. It looked basically stock, but I dont know, it did have a blow off (but that means nothing, everyone and there mother has one), and I am a very good driver so it wasnt me. He just kept pullin, I honestly wanted to cry... What other mods are out there that I can get decent HP and TQ gains? All I hear about are these GMPP packages or the PSI-FI kit....where can I get these...are they even out?

Wastegate question: Ok I originally wanted a turboed car just for that spooling sound and then the blow off....I have heard supercharged cars with wastegates that sound sick...I need that sound, are there any wastegates on the market that will fit the SS or even one for the SS. I have seen some threads with people wanting to run BOV's on their SS but I think thats pointless because supercharged cars dont use BOV's. Can anyone help me!?

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
i don't know anything about wastegates for the ss, but if you talk to a psi-fi rep on this forum, or post in their section in the vendors area, you can get the psi-fi kit. yes, it is out... from what i recall its like $550 plus shipping.

btw, srt-4's are quite a bit faster then our cars stock... which is one of the reasons why i wanted an ss... so when i'm done modding it i can easily blow the doors off of the unsuspecting srt-4 owners where i live (all of whom are complete jerkoffs...no offense to any of the cool srt-4 people. keep leading by example...) especially since they are ALL stock. give or take a B.O.V, or an intake/ehaust here and there.

·
Registered
492 Posts
You should be able to get the PS-Fi kit through Modern Performance. Best run I've seen (i've only seen two times posted so far) was a 14.0 at 106.XX mph. That was with shitty track conditions, high temp and humidity, and stock rubber. One of the RL members is on slicks cutting consistant 2.0 60" times, with just the smaller pulley. Once he gets the kit, with exhaust and intake, I would estimate high 13's from him, probably mid 13's on a good run (maybe with a set of headers).

·
Registered
232 Posts
A1RacingSS said:
Thanks guys, but im still confused on what exactly a PSI-FI kit is....and I already checked modern performance, unfortunatley they dont have it.
Call revitupmotorsports ... revitupmotorsports.net... They are a vendor for the PsiFi kit..... The kit consists of a smaller supercharger pulley (2.8" stock is 3.5)... larger belt tensioner/idler pulley (for belt slack)... and a power paq piggyback unit... From the couple of dyno floating around seems like it good for about 30hp 30tq...

·
Registered
498 Posts
^^Hey, when do you plan on dyno'ing your ride with the kit?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Mercury said:
Don't be embarassed..... SRT-4's are faster than our cars.

yeah nothing bad about getting beat by a car with like 75+tq and 40+hp and about the same weight from the factory...now if you had a 911 turbo and it beat you... then you should feel bad and contemplate killing yourself

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mercury said:
Don't be embarassed..... SRT-4's are faster than our cars.
Agreed. I just got my cobalt, and ran into a SRT as well. They are super quick and not to be messed with until you get some pullies under your hood.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Blue04RedLine said:
You should be able to get the PS-Fi kit through Modern Performance. Best run I've seen (i've only seen two times posted so far) was a 14.0 at 106.XX mph. That was with shitty track conditions, high temp and humidity, and stock rubber. One of the RL members is on slicks cutting consistant 2.0 60" times, with just the smaller pulley. Once he gets the kit, with exhaust and intake, I would estimate high 13's from him, probably mid 13's on a good run (maybe with a set of headers).
Correct me if I am wrong but the fastest posted slip that I have seen with the psi-fi kit was [email protected] not @106.

·
Registered
232 Posts
dvs said:
Correct me if I am wrong but the fastest posted slip that I have seen with the psi-fi kit was [email protected] not @106.
I think thats right... but you have to remember how few PsiFi cars are out there.... Wait until more people get them on and get out to the track... with the power output somebody should be getting into the 13s..

·
Registered
492 Posts
dvs said:
You are correct on that. I saw the slip again tonight and it was at 100. Not sure where I pulled that 106 outta my head from, but I must have seen a slip withing the past week for it to be in there. Numbers usually stick, so I go with what I remember. Sorry for the slight confusion.

·
Registered
74 Posts
supercharged cars do not have a wastegate and will never need them as long as they remain supercharged

wastegate controls how much exhaust flows through or around the turbo, and as a result, controls how much boost the turbo makes

the boost on a SC car is controlled by the pulley

·
Registered
364 Posts
Antyoo said:
supercharged cars do not have a wastegate and will never need them as long as they remain supercharged

wastegate controls how much exhaust flows through or around the turbo, and as a result, controls how much boost the turbo makes

they also have a bypass valve in the superchargerso its not only the pulley

·
Registered
137 Posts
Torbo cars can have both a wastegate valve and a blow off valve. Don't confuse the two.
Ask the turbo guys, they will explain.
The waste gate controlls the boost, and is in the exhaust side of the turbo. The blow off valve controls the intake manifold pressure between shifts, and is in the intake side of the system. They are different.
On our cars, the bypass valve bypasses the supercharger when the computer tells it to. Have you noticed that if you get into boost, then lift a bit, the boost goes away? Since the RPM doesn't change, and the blower is running at the same speed, the computer tells the bypass that the driver has lifted a bit, and to quit producing boost. It works vert much like a waste gate. It's really a pretty cool idea.
I myself would not consider the aftermarket hop up kits. Unless you are out of warranty. The GM kits, be patient, will be better thought out, don't contain a bandaid piggy back computer, and will be warranty friendly. And don't sneeze at "only" a 40 hp increase. Add a cat back exh....or just get rid of the factory battleship muffler and that number will go up.
Plymouth has a 4 year or more head start....we will get there!
Ron

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Antyoo said:

Yea I accidentally mixed up a bypass valve with the wastegate. The question is though, they say the bypass valve is only good until 13psi. After the PSI-FI kit we will be pushing a lot more than 13psi, so is there an upgraded one?

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
498Nova said:
Torbo cars can have both a wastegate valve and a blow off valve. Don't confuse the two.
Ask the turbo guys, they will explain.
The waste gate controlls the boost, and is in the exhaust side of the turbo. The blow off valve controls the intake manifold pressure between shifts, and is in the intake side of the system. They are different.
On our cars, the bypass valve bypasses the supercharger when the computer tells it to. Have you noticed that if you get into boost, then lift a bit, the boost goes away? Since the RPM doesn't change, and the blower is running at the same speed, the computer tells the bypass that the driver has lifted a bit, and to quit producing boost. It works vert much like a waste gate. It's really a pretty cool idea.
I myself would not consider the aftermarket hop up kits. Unless you are out of warranty. The GM kits, be patient, will be better thought out, don't contain a bandaid piggy back computer, and will be warranty friendly. And don't sneeze at "only" a 40 hp increase. Add a cat back exh....or just get rid of the factory battleship muffler and that number will go up.
Plymouth has a 4 year or more head start....we will get there!
Ron
plymouth? isn't plymouth dead... i'm assuming you mean dodge/mopar/srt/DCX, correct? also, i wouldn't get my hopes up on the stage kits from GM being all that "warranty friendly" this smells like what dodge said/did. they said the stage kits would be warranty safe before they came out and when they did come out they were like oh yea, say goodbye to your warranties.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts