Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my rotors have warped. I have less than 3000 miles on it and when I brake a little hard I have the shakes. Anyone else have this problem so early in the life of the rotors. I am taking it in but I just think if they replace the rotors it will just come back. Is this a problem with Cobalts or is just mine?
Thanks
John

·
Registered
441 Posts
Ha, replace the rotors. They are gonna cut the rotors and let it go. There is a bulletin out on that one. It will happen again if you continue to drive the same way. GM wants people to be easier on the brakes, but they are gonna warp sooner or later. Mine made it to about 9000. cut, and at 14000 they are doing it again. And i work at the freakin dealer. Nothin you can do short of upgrading to better aftermarket brakes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem and mine has about 7500 miles on it now and they told me today that they were going to let it go for now because GM will only take care of it once a year now even if its still under warranty. They told me this is all new starting either this month or last month that gm does this

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Evan24 said:
I had the same problem and mine has about 7500 miles on it now and they told me today that they were going to let it go for now because GM will only take care of it once a year now even if its still under warranty. They told me this is all new starting either this month or last month that gm does this
I am taking mine in today and They'll have it for a week (vacation). I hope I don't get that song and dance. 3000 miles and my brakes are worn out????? I don't think so. If GM will not do anything to make it better I will pressure the dealarship to do something or they will get trashed by me if anyone ask if that dealership is any good. I just don't play games with a $20,000 purchase. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The problem is that the pads are not worn, just the rotors are warped. They will cut the rotors to eliminate the problem, and if it comes back, they might replace rotors and pads. It depends on how much they like you. And how loud you complain. If you haven't spent money there on service and they don't know you, you might not get much for free.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the shakes are gone for now. The dealer just resurfaced the rotors. :mad: We'll see if it last more than 3000 miles this time. :rolleyes: I also had the steering clunk. They replaced the intermediate steering shaft. Clunk gone. :D

·
Registered
370 Posts
theandies said:
I think my rotors have warped. I have less than 3000 miles on it and when I brake a little hard I have the shakes. Anyone else have this problem so early in the life of the rotors. I am taking it in but I just think if they replace the rotors it will just come back. Is this a problem with Cobalts or is just mine?
Thanks
John
Are you sure it wasnt the anti-lock brakes that you felt because when I autocross and I get hard on the brakes the brake pedal will vibrate which is the anti-lock brakes working hard. I just figure this might be your problem just because you said under heavey breaking.

Also Nice 71' corvette. My dad just restored a 71 just like that. Same color but with a black convertable top and it had A/C. Does it have the 454?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Butch Sosa said:
Are you sure it wasnt the anti-lock brakes that you felt because when I autocross and I get hard on the brakes the brake pedal will vibrate which is the anti-lock brakes working hard. I just figure this might be your problem just because you said under heavey breaking.

Also Nice 71' corvette. My dad just restored a 71 just like that. Same color but with a black convertable top and it had A/C. Does it have the 454?
No it wasn't the anti-lock. It was so bad before I took it in it would even shake while braking after backing out of my driveway in the morning!!!! The resurface did it but next time I am going to request GMPP slotted and drilled rotors. I did report it to GM customer care center so it is on record there as well as my dealer. If I have to take it in at 6000 miles then there is a definite defect in the rotors and GM should do something about it.

Thanks on the Vette - It is a convertible and I just replaced the old rag top with a brand new black cloth top from Al Knoch - Very nice. The picture in my sig has the hard top installed. No it's a 350 GMPP ZZ4 crate engine right now but I may upgrade it to a 502BB soon. I am still thinking about it. No A/C, No PS, No PB to rob HP. It's my weekend toy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know that when it is necessary to replace the rotors. The part number is updated with drilled and slotted rotors. I know this because I work at a dealer and I've had 2 SS's come in with warped rotors and I had to replace them with these new and improved Drilled and slotted rotors.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Did you get that done under warranty? I am trying that for my car but my warranty admin is being a bitch about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i dont see how they can only fix it once a year, if you replace something that goes bad so fast then how do you know you wont get another defective part

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just started noticing the shakes in my care this week. I have about 11,500mi on mine in about 8 months, so I do drive it alot, but its still irritating that I now have to find time to take it to them to get it worked on.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
i just passed 23,000mi and still haven't had a problem with my brakes. sometimes, there are bads sets. sucks, but doesn't seem like it happens to everyone.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
mine started at around 3k miles to. cept my dealer wanted 100 bucks to cut them so i said screw and and just wore em til they were completely warped. 500 dollars later i have powerslot rotors and ebc green stuff pads and now i'm happy.

·
Registered
729 Posts
if you get the shakes in the wheel under moderate (medium braking force) with out brake pedal pulsation. then it is not your rotors. the CObalt is going to be famouse for the bushings for the contol arms are weak, crack up quickly, and that putting in all poly mounts should fix the problem.

Here is another way to fix it. it is expensive though. GM st teams racing cobalts do this.
http://www.powellmotorsport.com/index.php?module=PayPalCart&func=detail&pid=1&offset=0

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
if you get the shakes in the wheel under moderate (medium braking force) with out brake pedal pulsation. then it is not your rotors. the CObalt is going to be famouse for the bushings for the contol arms are weak, crack up quickly, and that putting in all poly mounts should fix the problem.

Here is another way to fix it. it is expensive though. GM st teams racing cobalts do this.
http://www.powellmotorsport.com/index.php?module=PayPalCart&func=detail&pid=1&offset=0
i'm not so sure about that. i had the shakes in the wheel without brake pedal pulsation and replacing the rotors and pads fixed that problem.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts