Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, well I wasn't exactly typing this up to be proud or anything, simply due to my lack of intelligence before posting this. Anyway, before I explain the previous sentence here is the story:

I just got back from a good friend of mines house to show him my Cobalt. He has a 98 Mustang Cobra, modded to hell, runs 11's blah blah etc, etc. Anyway, I wanted to show him and see what he thought since I don't have my Mustang anymore. He was very "tickled" to say the least, and after driving it a little, checking out the interior, engine bay, etc. he came to the conclusion that, yes...the cobalt was cool enough to cruise w/ the Cobra LOL. So after showing him the car, he threw out a smirk and says "hey, haha you outta race my gf's Grand Prix.." He continued to tell me how he raced our other friend Chris's 97 LT1 z28 (stock except for a catback) in the GP and could hang with him all the way. I couldn't help the laugh, so off we went to an abandoned straight away down the road from his house, near an old gravel factory and train track. The first run was from a dead stop; being used to big gobs of low end torque, I failed to rev high enough to get a good launch and bogged pretty bad. By the time I got into boost he was about a car in front, but I ended the distance gain swiftly and we stayed about the same (him 1 length in front). 2nd run was from 15mph (edit: this was in 1st gear too), and wow was it fun. I got a good jump on him, I'd say about half a car, and continued to pull to about 2 car lengths before shutting down. We decided to go on more time from a dig (because we all know that's where driver skill shines ;)). I revved her up around 2.5k, eased out on the clutch as the last honk blew and dropped the hammer. I was greeted by wheel hop, but quickly corrected by letting off the gas a tad and hammering it again. His rear passenger door was about where my front bumper was when I hit 2nd gear (if I had a goofy guy torque brace this would have been different haha) which I had to get into ever so carefully so I didn't wheel hop again. I started pulling slightly up to red-line, then he gained a tad while I shifted into 3rd. I started to pull again, and by the time we shut down we were pretty much dead even.

Okay, now to explain my first sentence. I knew that the GP was a GXP model and had a v8 in it...but I never took the time to look at its specs or anything until just a few minutes ago. an LS4 5.3 v8 with over 300hp and more torque? Wow, I was dissapointed at first because I was under the impression it was a "rag-tag" low-end v8 that I could easily dispatch...but man this thing really hauls balls haha. So needless to say, I am a bit shocked I even hung with it, maybe its the weight of the GP (didn't look at that)? Anyway, I'm pretty happy, for my first race in my Cobalt haha. I'm not touching that cobra though.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Sounds like fun, man :D Yea, I'm suprised as you as to what cars the SS can really hang with. Way to spread the word about our cars and get some more Cobalt fans!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mercury said:
That sounds good.....

That means you can hang with an LT1 brotha!
Lol, only thing is I've ridden in Chris's LT1, and I used to call it a turd. :p

·
Registered
543 Posts
uh yeah, the GXP can run the 1/4 in low 14's @ 3600+lbs. Good you hung w/ him. Video footage next time would be awesome. :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 94 Z28 and my SS. I was messing around with my wife driving the SS and me driving the Z28. The SS can definitly hang with the Z28 and maybe EEEK is a little bit faster to 60, but around 60 the displacement started to take over and I started to pull on the SS pretty hard. I was very suprised how well it keep up though.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Those new GP has been tested I believe at like 14.2-14.4. Good race, next time try not dropping the clutch at all. That is how I win most of my races, wheelspin is bad when racing. Especially when racing a automatic car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What year GXP was it? I was under the impression that only the brand new GXPs have the new LS4 (same engine that the Impala SS and MonteCarlo SS will have this year) Whereas the previous GXPs had a s/c'd 3.8 V6 which I think was around 240hp.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I definitely need to get some footage next time (would have brought the camera if I had known it was going to happen haha), it was a new model GXP, has the LS4 in it.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
ozrein said:
What year GXP was it? I was under the impression that only the brand new GXPs have the new LS4 (same engine that the Impala SS and MonteCarlo SS will have this year) Whereas the previous GXPs had a s/c'd 3.8 V6 which I think was around 240hp.
There are two different, new, GXPs this year (a Bonneville GXP and a Grand Prix GXP) both of which have some form of a V8(I think the LS4 for both). There is also a new Grand Prix GTP this year that has a new supercharged 3.8 V6, cranking out 260hp and I believe 280tq, replacing the old GTP you are talking about that had 240hp and 260tq, I'm pretty sure. Also this year there is a G6 GTP that has a none supercharged 3.9 V6 making 240hp and I have no clue on the torque number. :D Hope that helps, Pontiac is confusing :p .

·
Registered
241 Posts
The GXP Grand prix is brand new, first introduced in 2005. The previous high trim of the GP was the GTP, which was a supercharged 3.8. The GXP has a 5.3L V8 with 300HP and similar TQ.

The GXP Bonnie had the Northstar V8 in it, the 4.6L 280HP DOHC engine, but it was axed, along with the Bonneville on a whole this year.

Im a bit surprised, but now that I think about it, it seems like a good race, althought a GXP is alot more money, its also alot more car.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
CoBIZZLE said:
Good race man, sounds like fun!! Wish I had one... :(
Maybe wasey can buy it for me! LOL ;)
I'll buy you a pogo stick, with a chrome spring and carbon fiber hand grips. But you have to sit and bounce on it upside down.

Nocturn said:
The GXP Grand prix is brand new, first introduced in 2005. The previous high trim of the GP was the GTP, which was a supercharged 3.8. The GXP has a 5.3L V8 with 300HP and similar TQ.

The GXP Bonnie had the Northstar V8 in it, the 4.6L 280HP DOHC engine, but it was axed, along with the Bonneville on a whole this year.

Im a bit surprised, but now that I think about it, it seems like a good race, althought a GXP is alot more money, its also alot more car.
Selected Style: GXP
MSRP: $29,995.00
Pontiac Employee Discount Price: (approx.) $24,696.48 †(Details) (after applicable incentives)

Selected Style: SS Supercharged
MSRP: $21,995.00
Chevrolet Employee Discount Price: (approx.) $20,034.15 †(Details) (after applicable incentives)

More money yes, but "a lot" more is kind of stretching it.

And who really cares which car won from a roll? Last time I checked there is no professional fastest from a roll series(the pffar series). And from a dig probably a driver's race with the edge going to I don't care.

Its a new day so I thought I would start being a smartass early. :cool:

·
Registered
70 Posts
The GXP Grand Prixs were available before 05 , the difference from the supercharged GTP was they added "Ram AIR" , functional hood scoops and 18" rims. They were pretty sharp and came with I beleive 285 hp.

·
Registered
259 Posts
from a dig is racing from a roll..20,30,40 mph.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts