Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here lately when i am getting on it the car has started to blow smoke. I guess I'm going to take it to the dealership on monday, but i just wanted to see if anyone maybe knows why i'm having the problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its more of a gray color, and I really don't understand why it decided to start doing it out of the blue. I have GM Stage 2 and a magnaflow catback. You think it would hurt to go ahead and let them check it out?

·
Registered
382 Posts
i have the exact same problem..i don't sweat it too much. could be if you're breaking the car in--the rings are still seating in the cylinders or just some crappy gas.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully it is something like crappy gas. Last night i just met a guy with a yellow S/C SS and all he has is a cold air, and his car was pulling on me. He was behind me and i could see all of the smoke in his headlights. We ended up pulling over and i asked him if i was seeing things and he said that it was blowing pretty good. My Clutch isn't much anymore either so i know that can play a big factor in my exeleration, but he said he hasn't had smoke out of his yet. Thats why i kinda feel like something might be wrong with my performance too.

·
Registered
198 Posts
i have the same probebly after i added the exhaust to the car. it just means the engine is running rich, not a bad thing, but its not a good thing for the pocket book at the pump ither. means you are putting un burnt gas out the tail pipe, but thats the cost of adding power to the car, more power equals less gas mileage.

·
Registered
52 Posts
invest in a fuel management device such as apex'i safc II, your obviously running rich as everyone else is telling you, but do something about it, its not "ok" to run rich

·
Registered
64 Posts
If the car runs too rich, you can cook your catalitic <sp> converter...it acts as an afterburner for unburned gas...too rich, it runs too hot...and can lead to an expensive repair

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
ya the cars all run very rich. my cobalt, my buddies cobalt, and one of our employee's cobalt ALL blow a little gray smoke. totally normal, like they said its just excessive gas. the exhaust makes the smoke flow out more than stock (less restrictive) and the added boost/fuel from stage 2 will also make a little more smoke. my car is a stage 1 with a 2.8, and it blew LOTS of smoke under WOT. i had a magnaflow also.... BTW the reason the guy with the CAI was pulling on you is because the stage kits work different every day lol. mine made some crazy dyno numbers any given day, and sometimes it hardly pulled....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Most performance cars from GM hit enrichment mode and throw a little smoke. Unburnt fuel is all.

·
Registered
818 Posts
xCobalt05x said:
i have the same probably after i added the exhaust to the car. it just means the engine is running rich, not a bad thing, but its not a good thing for the pocket book at the pump either. means you are putting unburnt gas out the tail pipe, but thats the cost of adding power to the car, more power equals less gas mileage.
I beg to differ. I'm willing to bet I get better gas mileage than you :D
I see 27-29+ in city and 35+ on the highway, ask a few local members and they will confirm this. They get good mileage too.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Exhaust and Intake mods always improve mileage unless they are more restrictive than what you are replacing.

K&N Filter on some cars is worth almost 5 mpg!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So do you think if I get a cold air intake that it would give me a little more air with the extra fuel, and help out with the smoke a little bit. Also do you think that i would be able to tell a performance differance, and it would be louder to right?

·
Registered
132 Posts
You will get a littler louder and should notice a little difference in performance (K&N on my car is worth 2 to 3 tenths and 1 or 2mph on the big end.)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Ha, i did that on my 1993 toyota tercel. Its funny as hell to see this stock little white 2dr tercel shooting fire out of a stock Cobalt SS exhaust tip.

·
Registered
98 Posts
well, i don't think anyone said this yet... but if you got a new exhaust it is the oils and everything burning off of it... a little smoke is ok...

·
Banned
9 Posts
it's all in the catback exhaust. the stock exhaust will be fine with a stage stage 2gmpp I rather keep my exhaust stock where no one sees what's done under the hood.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts