Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke my half shaft in my car this past weekend pulling away from my house. I took it to the stealership and they told me they wont warrenty it since they said it was from abuse (the car has 5,000 miles on it!) can they do this? Is there anyway to fight it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
iball said:
Depends. Were you abusing the car?


i've done some driving with it but nothing stupid. I mean i've never done any burnouts with it or drag raced it. Only racing I've ever done was from a roll so I dont think I abused it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,444 Posts
Roush97 said:
i've done some driving with it but nothing stupid. I mean i've never done any burnouts with it or drag raced it. Only racing I've ever done was from a roll so I dont think I abused it.
ANY mods? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Take it back. Under no circumstances should you be required to eat that...

-Rich
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Another case of GMPerfomance not performing? Tell them to prove it was from abuse. Worn tires, soft clutch, ect..


Oh, and for all with on-star, and I guess all of us with computer controlled vehicles. It is just a matter of time before they start using stored infomation to void warranties. I can see it now..."Your ecu tells us you hit redline 3 times last week", ".8 g's is not created during normal cornering". I have already heard of on-star ringing in during auto-x events asking if a collision had occured.
Slippery slope my friends.






hows that for a thread jack?;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
How do we know that the ECU isn't already remembering our driving habbits?
Or there isn't a black box hiding somewhere in the car that does the same thing?
Black boxes have been hiding in car for awhile now.
This is exactly why I didn't want ON-STAR.......sounded way too much like Big Brother watching me.

As far as the half shaft....assuming no chunks of rubber in the front fender wells (from burnouts), I don't see how they could claim abuse. Unless the above mentioned is true.
And so what if you abuse the car a bit! What did GM Performance design the car to do? Be driven like an Isuzu?

I'd be outraged, and I find out how to go above the dealer. Find out who the regional service adviser is and talk to him. Or go to another dealer.

Of course I can't even get my dealer to do the Carepoint installation worth a crap.

BTW....does your car have the G85 option? The LSD does put more stress on the half shafts when under power in a corner.

Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
The dealership should warranty your half-shaft, you might have to make a stink though.

Also, I work for GM and I've been given no notification of any "black box" that stores vehicle usage data on any of the new models.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,444 Posts
Malaclypse said:
The dealership should warranty your half-shaft, you might have to make a stink though.

Also, I work for GM and I've been given no notification of any "black box" that stores vehicle usage data on any of the new models.
Only the aliens and government/big brother/"the man" know about them.
and for xxGarbxx
....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
Malaclypse said:
The dealership should warranty your half-shaft, you might have to make a stink though.

Also, I work for GM and I've been given no notification of any "black box" that stores vehicle usage data on any of the new models.

Check THIS LINK out.....

They have been putting them in cars and trucks for quite some time.... I too work for GM :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
SoCal Redline said:
Another case of GMPerfomance not performing? Tell them to prove it was from abuse. Worn tires, soft clutch, ect..


Oh, and for all with on-star, and I guess all of us with computer controlled vehicles. It is just a matter of time before they start using stored infomation to void warranties. I can see it now..."Your ecu tells us you hit redline 3 times last week", ".8 g's is not created during normal cornering". I have already heard of on-star ringing in during auto-x events asking if a collision had occured.
Slippery slope my friends.






hows that for a thread jack?;)
it doesn't matter if you have OnStar or not, your computer still records speed, rpm, etc. There are laws, however that say that there has to be a specific reason to have access to that info. Jo blow mechanic can't just break into your computer and read everything you do to your car. this is explained in your owner's manual.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
Rocky said:
but these are only for collisions or when the airbag deploys right?
According to www.airbagcrash.com it only records the 5 seconds before the airbags are deployed and dealers can't access the info.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
so that wont help the dealer in this case saying he abused his car. they will have to prove it like so cal redline said about worn tires soft clutch etc..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
easiest thing for you to do at this point, is to take it to a different chvey dealer. as i have seen in the business, some will, and some won't.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
50 Posts
Gotta love GM. They make an SS badged vehicle, yet they wont back their product up when its actually put to the test and breaks something.

About the whole black box thing: It looks like its time for people to start using standalone's!! ;) Fug the government!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
phxSS said:
it doesn't matter if you have OnStar or not, your computer still records speed, rpm, etc. There are laws, however that say that there has to be a specific reason to have access to that info. Jo blow mechanic can't just break into your computer and read everything you do to your car. this is explained in your owner's manual.
The "black box" and on star alike are just the beginning. Wait and see. When you pass a speed limit sign and your speed drops to 45mph or whatever the limit is you will curse the day you heard of lo-jack or on-star, any remote vehicle managment system.

And as far as joe blow mechanic looking to see whats in my black box... I never break any laws or rules, do you?;)
Also, if they can run a diagnostic from an office some where 5 states away, they can see alot more than you think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
If this kid is the same one I am thinking of he DOES have the G85 package....as a matter of fact he has the EXACT same car as I do. Orange SS with the G85 and XM.......and if they didn't warranty it I wouldn't doubt it.....I know why it ACTUALLY broke lol. That sucks though dude sorry to hear about the broken half shaft, would have been better if it was a clutch......I'll ask Paddock about the car when I go there later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,444 Posts
TheExorcist said:
If this kid is the same one I am thinking of he DOES have the G85 package....as a matter of fact he has the EXACT same car as I do. Orange SS with the G85 and XM.......and if they didn't warranty it I wouldn't doubt it.....I know why it ACTUALLY broke lol. That sucks though dude sorry to hear about the broken half shaft, would have been better if it was a clutch......I'll ask Paddock about the car when I go there later.
**HIJACK** Hey do you have pics of your car? **END HIJACK**
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
TheExorcist said:
If this kid is the same one I am thinking of he DOES have the G85 package....as a matter of fact he has the EXACT same car as I do. Orange SS with the G85 and XM.......and if they didn't warranty it I wouldn't doubt it.....I know why it ACTUALLY broke lol. That sucks though dude sorry to hear about the broken half shaft, would have been better if it was a clutch......I'll ask Paddock about the car when I go there later.
The g85 has the LSD right? Hmmmm.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top