Cobalts SS banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone just wanted to make a formal introduction...

My name is Ryan, I'm from Brooklyn, NY and came on this site to talk about and gather as much info as I can about the new Cobalt SS S/C coupe. I'm a senior in college. I drive a 96 Chrysler Sebring LXi, that I hope can make it through this winter and has been cursing me for the last few months.

I've been leaning toward the Cobalt as of late but I'm looking to buy a new car hopefully by the end of this summer and can't decide on what the best decision would be.

- Cobalt SS (awesome price, great performance but I think I've had it with FWD, and the other 2 choices I'm between...this week.)

- Subaru WRX (little more expensive, not a fan of 4 doors, but similar performance, AWD and Peter Solberg.)

- Pontiac GTO (amazing performance, great looking interior/exterior, the LS2 but high price for me right now and RWD could be a curse when the winter comes.)

I hope that I can give some useful info and commentary to this site.

-Ryan

BTW: I also post on CobaltSS.net as this name and on LS1GTO.com as 'City Goat'

·
Registered
204 Posts
Welcome to the forums, this place is rapidly growing....and as all of ekool websites, they are run as an open forum where the only things that can ban you is a personal threat or insulting the staff.

other than that, bad words and such are allowed. Except that we try to keep active topic titles clean to be work safe.

Enjoy....

·
Registered
241 Posts
Feet Deep said:
Hey everyone just wanted to make a formal introduction...

My name is Ryan, I'm from Brooklyn, NY and came on this site to talk about and gather as much info as I can about the new Cobalt SS S/C coupe. I'm a senior in college. I drive a 96 Chrysler Sebring LXi, that I hope can make it through this winter and has been cursing me for the last few months.

I've been leaning toward the Cobalt as of late but I'm looking to buy a new car hopefully by the end of this summer and can't decide on what the best decision would be.

- Cobalt SS (awesome price, great performance but I think I've had it with FWD, and the other 2 choices I'm between...this week.)

- Subaru WRX (little more expensive, not a fan of 4 doors, but similar performance, AWD and Peter Solberg.)

- Pontiac GTO (amazing performance, great looking interior/exterior, the LS2 but high price for me right now and RWD could be a curse when the winter comes.)

I hope that I can give some useful info and commentary to this site.

-Ryan

BTW: I also post on CobaltSS.net as this name and on LS1GTO.com as 'City Goat'

The 04 GTO can be had new for around 24K....The 05 on the other hand should be at MSRP for a while.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well aware of some of the amazing prices the 04 GTO is getting but one of the main things holding me back is the fact that it is RWD and since the car will have to be my daily driver I don't know if I'll be able to deal with days it's out of commission due to snow storms or whatever.

And I'm not looking to get a new car until about august or so, so 05's prices have more of a chance of dropping by then...regardless the real debate is between the WRX and Cobalt SS because of the closer price and similar performance of the two.

-Ry

·
Registered
140 Posts
For a daily driver all year round you honestly have to count the GTO out, trust me I live in Winnipeg Canada wherewe have temps in the -25 range dec-feb and 3 feet of snow and all the people that have RWD cars have winter beaters. Now a WRX will be an awesome car all year round, but the Cobalt SS should be cheaper and a little quicker as well as nicer in my opinion :) BTW.... Welcome to the site :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Feet Deep said:
Well aware of some of the amazing prices the 04 GTO is getting but one of the main things holding me back is the fact that it is RWD and since the car will have to be my daily driver I don't know if I'll be able to deal with days it's out of commission due to snow storms or whatever.

And I'm not looking to get a new car until about august or so, so 05's prices have more of a chance of dropping by then...regardless the real debate is between the WRX and Cobalt SS because of the closer price and similar performance of the two.

-Ry
Well the WRX can hit mid 13's depending on how you drive it, where in the SS will have some trouble hitting 13's stock. The SS has good modability potential, but also looses some ground as its only FWD. I would personally go with the SS as its a coupe though.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Pablo said:
No offense but a stock WRX will not even hit a 13.99, Sti's have hit 13.2's stock but the WRX's are limited to low 14's at best stock.
Lol I'll take your word for it, I really didn't know the base WRX stats, just the STi.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys,

Thanks for all this input. Yeah, stock WRX vs. stock Cobalt SS should be pretty close...the handling is said to be great on the Cobalt and the times through the 1/4 are pretty dead even.

WRX gets the jump from 60 because of AWD but if GM does what they should, and release Stage packages for the Cobalt under warranty (PLEASE!) the Cobalt SS with a pully, ECU and exhaust or intercooler upgrades will rip the WRX a new one.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing the new WRX interior and from the pictures the Cobalt one is really nice too (I have to see the Recaro's in person to fully pass judgement).

It's a lot to consider, but I'm sure a test drive will answer all of the questions.

-Ry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts