Cobalts SS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just installed a terminator hi flow filter on my ss, i drove it about 50 miles and the engine light came on. i stopped at auto moan and had the tester put on it and it said it had a lean condition. any one else experiance this when opening up the air flow? how can i fix it?
jim

·
Registered
492 Posts
I think almost every RL owner, and don't know how many CSS owners, have pulled a lean code from the intakes. The ecu should get used to it, and stop throwing the codes. All we can seem to do is wait it out though :( .

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
sdunkf said:
i just installed a terminator hi flow filter on my ss, i drove it about 50 miles and the engine light came on. i stopped at auto moan and had the tester put on it and it said it had a lean condition. any one else experiance this when opening up the air flow? how can i fix it?
jim

yeah just reset the computer, unhook the battery cable from the battery then turn the key over a few times (this sucks all the juice out of the system) wait about 5 minutes and plug the battery back up. then your car should go through learning your fuel curve again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Blue04RedLine said:
I think almost every RL owner, and don't know how many CSS owners, have pulled a lean code from the intakes. The ecu should get used to it, and stop throwing the codes. All we can seem to do is wait it out though :( .

I never got any codes from my K&N. I was expecting them, but I have been lucky. Same with the other 2 cars that we installed them on. No codes at all. I wonder if some of the filters were over-oiled from K&N. I took my maf sensor out this weekend to check it it is perfectly clean. Maybe I'm just lucky.

·
Registered
49 Posts
try and clean your MAF (very gently) with some intake safe cleaner (they'll let you know what's safe at autozone, etc.) on a q-tip. if there is too much oil on the filter, it can get on the maf causing inaccurate readings. 50 miles should be good to get rid of the oil on the filter, so cleaning it up should get rid of it for you. if the MAF has oil on it, it won't cool properly when the air passes over it, and it'll see the wrong readings. try this first

·
Registered
7 Posts
Vita said:
if the MAF has oil on it, it won't cool properly when the air passes over it, and it'll see the wrong readings. try this first
And if you hurt anything on the car, which was caused by an oiled filter, it wont be covered under warranty. GM has a technical service bulleten out on this.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hmmm....does the CSS/SC ECU have anyway to display codes like the SRT PCMs do? All we have to do is turn the key on/off, on/off, on/off and it displays the codes in the odometer. Any tricks to those GM ECUs like that? I remember MANY years ago being able to use a paperclip to get the CEL to flash out the codes. Some of you old-schoolers know what I mean.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yep....OBD2 scanner....the only device I ever use. If you don't have one, most auto parts stores have one you can use in the parking lot (borrow it).

·
Registered
360 Posts
You can also get one of those Scan Gauges that will show the codes. Not too shabby for only $120.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts