Cobalts SS banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
Can yo use the Hi-Beans with these or no? Just curious I has these on my Saturn ION a while back and You could Not use the HI Beams. I have a Redline Will these work with it??

Discussion starter · #22 ·
i actually do not have any more Hi/Low kits these are single stage (low beam) but i have a new one out its using a h4 bulb that is run like a HI/low kit (gives more light output when highbeams are applied) if your interested you can have the 1st one for the cobalt (i just got these in and i like how they work out :) ill try to get some pix soon for everyone )

I have HIDs on my Redline and man what a differnce. No high beams but hell if you adjust them right you dont need them. I have not had one person flash me yet I have had them a few weeks and I pass a lot of people at night on long open roads if you know what I mean.

Okay. So i have been reading the post here about the HID kits. I have a few questions...duh.

1. When you install the HID kit, will you lose you High-beam function? Okay this is answered.
2. Luxury cars that come with HID lights such as the IS300 or GS430. Do they have high beam lights? If so? Are they Halogens or HIDs? I would think HIDs in high-beam mode would light up half the block.
3. What is the current kelvan color for the Is300 or GS430 (2006 models)?
4. What kind of impact does this have on the electric system of a Cobalt in general?

Thank you in advance for answering the questions.

1. When you install the HID kit, will you lose you High-beam function? Yes because the only HID high beam is used on a bi-xenon projector.
2. Luxury cars that come with HID lights such as the IS300 or GS430. Do they have high beam lights? If so? Are they Halogens or HIDs? They are halogen when used with a reflector lense 3. What is the current kelvan color for the Is300 or GS430 (2006 models)?True HID is all 4100k-4300k. All other kevlan are tinted hid capsules just like tinted HID look bulbs.
4. What kind of impact does this have on the electric system of a Cobalt in general?The cobalt, like every other halogen equipped car, the wiring is made for a 55w halogen bulb. Although HIDs run at 30w, upon start up they use up to 3x the power of a 55w halogen bulb. This could damage your entire wiring system. The best way to prep for HIDs is to make or buy a wiring harness with thicker gauge wire to compensate for the higher wattage.

Please don't buy HID kits, they are illegal and cause glare and if above 4300k, you are actually decreasing your light output and visibility. Keep it real, do a retrofit of a projector that was designed to distribute HID light. Check out HIDPLANET for more information. :D

I want HIDs for my cobalt. I have a set of ballasts, ignitors, and bulbs, but they don't fit, they are 9007's but won't fit in my reflector for some reason, the locking base is odd.

Would you be willing to do a partial trade for my old ballast and ignitors and extra cash for a cobalt HID set? Or, can you provide me with bulbs that will fit my ignitor and ballast that will work in my cobalt?

Mercury said:
Please don't buy HID kits, they are illegal and cause glare and if above 4300k, you are actually decreasing your light output and visibility. Keep it real, do a retrofit of a projector that was designed to distribute HID light. Check out HIDPLANET for more information. :D
This answered all my questions. The main one being glare for other drivers. I suffer extensively from this and I absolutely hate when it happens.

I was leaning towards sticking with clear glass HO halogens and this sealed the deal. Who cares about what your headlights look like when you're NOT causing people to drive off the road into ditches?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.