Cobalts SS banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive installed a Custom steering wheel on an old crx i had but it didnt have an airbag. I know its possible because I have seen newer cars with it and airbags are standard now days. Some body help!!! :(

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
candyman13 said:
Ive installed a Custom steering wheel on an old crx i had but it didnt have an airbag. I know its possible because I have seen newer cars with it and airbags are standard now days. Some body help!!! :(
WELLL thats a dangerous matter... you go to takin that off and it could literally blow up in your face... I would AT LEAST start by disconnecting the negative side of the battery. Then you could get the airbag out without blowin it up. Then you would also have to pull the air bag lights cause they would be constantly on from then on... Good luck with that though!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I'd have to say an airbag in a fast car is much better than a fast car with no airbag and a shiny steering wheel

·
Registered
382 Posts
HeppyCat said:
I'd have to say an airbag in a fast car is much better than a fast car with no airbag and a shiny steering wheel
i couldn't have put it any better

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think they make a huge difference in looks and besides if airbags were so important in fast cars why dont they put them in race cars? Race cars are the safest it gets. Im gonna get racing seats and 4 point seatbelts. I just cant stand the stock steering wheel. Anyways do you think after I got the airbag out it would just bolt up with the kit? Thats the real question.

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Not sure, may have to get an adaptor... you plan on wearin that 4pt harness everywhere you go?!?!? Honestly? Cause THATS why race cars dont have airbags. Their harnesses hold them in TIGHT, a regular seatbelt can not and will not do that... And they have roll bars...

·
Registered
379 Posts
4 point harnesses are cool and all, but man make sure you have a quick release system for it. You never know when you will have to get out of your car in a hurry!

·
Registered
765 Posts
The easiest way to remove an airbag is to crash the car :p

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
also, make sure you install the harnesses the right way. do NOT bolt them to the floor, that is a no no as it can cause spinal injuries in the event of a roll over. you would have to remove the rear seat and have a roll bar installed to bolt the harnesses to.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dude, that’s more trouble then it's worth! The constant ABS light alone would drive me insane.

Believe me I just had a pretty bad accident that involved me hitting the freeway wall at about 40 MPH. The airbag might not have saved my life but it definitely saved my collar bone and a rib or two the seat belt would have broken.

If you're in a state that requires a safety inspection you would fail with an incomplete air bag system for sure.

·
Site Moderator
3,724 Posts
As for the race car comparison, I'm not sure how valid that really is. Not just all of the safety equipment people already mentioned before, but the whole body of a race car is engineered to be able to not kill the driver in case of a high speed crash, which are frequent and every driver expects to be involved in at least a few during their career.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah that is true. I dont know what exactly im gonna do. The real deciding factor I think Is how much money I can put in my car. Which isnt to much at the moment and there is alot of other stuff ide like to put in first anyways. Thanks for your input though ill keep it all in mind.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Bradyb said:
If you're in a state that requires a safety inspection you would fail with an incomplete air bag system for sure.
you beat me to it man... i was going to say exactly what he said, and i believe every state has a safty inspection now a days

·
Registered
482 Posts
I was wondering if it is possible to swap my 4pt steering wheel with the 3pt found in the 06???

·
Registered
2 Posts
You might check with your local laws, in Indiana it is illegal to remove a airbag from an airbag equipped vehicle. It is also illegal to drive a car that has had the airbags deployed without replacing them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
disconnect the battery first off. then there will probably a few bolts behind the steering wheel that will hold the air bag in place. you'll have to take the air bag off, and then there'll probably be some type of clip and a nut that you'll need to remove. you'll also need a steering wheel puller to remove the wheel from the steering shaft.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts