Cobalts SS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. I just had a question about the basemodel auto tranny. Does anyone know how much HP it can hold? I couldn't afford an SS and the Wifey can't drive stick so I went with a basemodel auto. I would still like to beef it up however to make it a quick little ride. Anyone have any info? Thanks in advance

RedBaseBolt.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Since we are on the subject.. Will an LSJ motor bolt up to a Auto tranny? LSJ swap in a sedan would be a cool sleeper.

What tranny does the base model use?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Base model is the 4T45E. GM uses the 4T45E in cars with the 3.5L V6 (200hp and 220lbft), so it's pretty safe to assume it can handle those power levels. Much over that, though, and you might have to use something else. The new 3.9L V6 cars (240hp/240lbft) get the 4T65E.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DanM said:
Base model is the 4T45E. GM uses the 4T45E in cars with the 3.5L V6 (200hp and 220lbft), so it's pretty safe to assume it can handle those power levels. Much over that, though, and you might have to use something else. The new 3.9L V6 cars (240hp/240lbft) get the 4T65E.

Thanks, my parents have one of the new malibu's they are nice cars. Pretty fast too for a grocery getter with the V6 anyways.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts