Cobalts SS banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey , new to the board.. seems like alot of useful info on here

I have a 2007 Lt 2 door Cobalt its white

Along the b***om of the doors and bumpers I am getting orange ( looks like rust spots but its not) they are small but starting to appear all over now and i cant get it off?

Tried bug and tar remover , spray wax also.. I heard of a clay bar , but never used one?
Help me!!!

Thanks alot

·
Registered
480 Posts
hmm thats weird . iunno what it could be but claying wouldnt hurt to try. it could be like my metallica red tint coat ss. i have a tiney lil black dot cant hardly see it. my theroy is its the paint getting bruised if u would from something hiting it maybe the same goes for u as it sounds like they are apearing on areas known to get chipt from road debree?

·
Registered
362 Posts
My guess is "rail dust" during transport from the factory back in the day the steel dust got on the paint and is just sitting on the surface.

They use a special cleaner to get it off and the clay bar it. My suggestion is take it to a detail shop. My 2007 white truck had that, and it showed up in 2008, and this is what that was.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My guess is "rail dust" during transport from the factory back in the day the steel dust got on the paint and is just sitting on the surface.

They use a special cleaner to get it off and the clay bar it. My suggestion is take it to a detail shop. My 2007 white truck had that, and it showed up in 2008, and this is what that was.
Wouldnt the rail dust have been on the car since it was new tho? I have only noticed this in the last 8 months or so and its getting worse

As far as taking it to a detail shop.. my step dad manages a body shop so, do you know what they usually do?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the Clay ICE kit from Turtle Wax for $16.00 on sale

Has a clay bar, liquid clay and finishing spray

Hope this work

I will post pics today

·
Registered
480 Posts
hmm i have no clue the very dim lookin ones are just like the black dot i found on my ss that i was talking bout and i only have that theroy i said as well . hopefully someone on here has an idea :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the clay kit worked , still took alot of rubbing and ive used like 3/4 of the clay bar on my back bumper, wing, and both doors ( these had a TON of orange/brown marks on them)

Is that coverage good?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Usually these spots are small metal bits that get embedded in your paint and eventually oxidize. Highly metallic brake dust from other cars is usually the origin. The color they turn is greatly influenced by the background color and their composition. Whites typically turn rust brown, while on a red car, they may appear green or black.

The clay bar will help remove the coloring, and in most cases, the enlodged metals themselves.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have an 09 white ss and I just noticed the same thing. Also I have these blacks dots too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts