Cobalts SS banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a question, I know if its HOT then your car aint gonna run like it does when its cold, BUT my question is what about HUMIDITY?? Would that affect the car's performance, I would assume it would hurt it but then again Im just guessin so....??? Anybody know how/if humidity would affect a cars performance??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Humidity and horse power

Total horse power is affected by air density. In these hot summer months you will notice a decrease in the total horse power output of the motor because the air is less dense and this causes the motor to run much leaner. Humidity has a similar effect at higher temp's. When the air temp's are higher the atmosphere can hold more moisture and this effects the total volume / density of oxygen in the atmosphere, causing the motor to run much leaner then it would under lower humidity conditions. I found this handy little calculator to gauge how much horsepower you are losing or making over normal.

- http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_hp_abs.htm

HTH,

:)

·
Registered
162 Posts
The motor will strive to keep the fuel mixture the same under all conditions. It will not get leaner in the heat. The warmer air is less dense, hence less can be drawn into the cylinder at a time. Less air, less fuel is injected, less power. The a/f ratio will be the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Humidty and horse power

Sorry, poor choice of words at 6am EDT ;-)

by lean I did mean less fuel, not a change in the a/f ratio.

But all that in a nut shell should answer your question.

·
Banned
65 Posts
High humidity requires less octane to achive the same out put as air with less humidity. That's a fact, with high humidity you should run better than low humidity, as long as all variables are all the same. If the air temp go above 85 degrees most cars don't like it. Just like running in the summer the air is easier to get in and out, but try it in the winter and well, you should know what i'm talking about. Dry throat, and whou boy.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
CoBIZZLE said:
The last three days??? Whats sunshine???? :confused:
Yeah that is what i am saying today has been decent but still they say there is a chance for some more rain. :( But i am hopeing it has finally finished i would like to swiming some time soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
another handy measurement to know, is Grains of water, (which goes hand in hand with Density Altitude) if you have access to a weather computer that is a key component in drag racing...The higher the grains the slower or harder you car runs...(feels like your driving into restriction) motor boggs down kinda, i know this cause im on a funny car crew that runs a blown chev motor on methanol and grains of water is looked upon huge as to what our car can/might run ... it has more of an effect on blower cars then it would on n/a cars or cars with turbos... Grains = Water, water in the air gets sucked into your supercharger and as we all know water doesnt cumbust very well so takes more energy to burn it which makes your car run "like a dog" (feels weighed down)

anyways thought that might be helpful, some possibly useless knowledge but fun to type out anyway...lol

sorry so long

~05 Black SS - Red Inserts~
"Its better to be blown".... :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wow, not to be off topic, but you guys definitely don't live in Florida! Its humid I would say about 75% of the year. Most of the times its extremely noticably and causes clothes to stick to your body. Plus, it makes you sweat just standing there. A crappy day in florida is when its 95 out and the humidity is sitting at about 75% or higher. Just thought I would let you know. Good luck with figuring this out.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Heck at least you have bodies of water to give you humidity. I live in the praries where there is NO BODIES OF WATER bigger than a lake (which there are about 4 or 5 normal sized ones) and yet we still manage over 95% humidity for a good half of the summer (yes yes I know there are other ways in which humidity is created, but still).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts