Cobalts SS banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 cobalt ss/sc. I bought the GM stage 1 upgrade for it, then later was looking into buying stage 2. I decided to look around online for a smaller sc pulley for the car to get more horsepower out of it then the one GM offered. I went with a 2.6 inch pulley instead of the GM stage 2 which i believe is 3.25 inch. It was running like a complete beast for awhile, still does but in the higher RPMS it like chugs, or hesitates and sometimes almost feels like the belt is slipping. I had the Belt replaced, now i am getting a feeling that it is starving for fuel, anyone have any idea? maybe i just need another ECU upgrade?

·
The HepKitty
1,329 Posts
a pulley of that size requires bigger fuel injectors and a tune. You are probably running your car dangerously lean in the upper rpms. good way to fry a piston.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Put on the stage 2 pulley, as said the 2.6 is way too small without 60lb injectors and some serious cooling mods. IE Meth inj. heat exchanger and or dual pass.

·
The HepKitty
1,329 Posts
Ok so what would be the smallest pulley possible to run with out upgrading the stock injectors??
anytime you add more boost, you must compensate by adding more fuel, or a lean condition under boost can occur, frying a piston.

3.25 is possibly the smallest you can run with stock injectors, which isn't that much different then the stock 3.35 pulley. The stock system is close to being maxed out already, meaning the injectors are running a high duty cycle with not much more room to add fuel as boost levels increase. Now I know people have run smaller, but they do so at their own risk. I am very much into power, but I seek safe reliable power.

Personally I think one is limited by the m62 supercharger, you start getting this above 17psi and its efficiency really suffers.

to run a 2.6 inch pulley requires many mods, such as atleast 60lb injectors, headers, improving the intercooling system, possible head work/cams. Cold Range spark plugs, ect.

·
1,087 Posts
I like running safe reliable power as well because I would like to have my SS for quite some time....

And yes the M62 is very limited but I will just have to deal with what I have until I really get serious. I kind of like to do things the right way the first time because cutting corners in reality does not safe any money. Thanks for the info MT.... :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts