Cobalts SS banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From time to time, seems to be happening more often, the idle speed on my SS/SC can't make up it's mind and hunts between 500 and 1200 rpm. This always happens just as I pull to a stop for a traffic light or pulling into the driveway.
I can feel that the car want to die, then the computer tries to speed the idle up and it over shoots and back and forth. It finally settles back to 800 or so.

Anyone else experience this?

I have alerted the dealer, but don't want to take it in until it is easy to duplicate. I know this isn't normal. (I'm already 0 fer 1 lifetime on dealer experiences)

I don't have the factory shop manual yet, so I don't know exactly what controls the idle speed. I assume it varies the IAC and the ignition timing, which is how the OBD1 system worked....but this could be different.

Thanks,

Ron

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yep same issue here. Usually only happens when I have the AC on though

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine does it w/o the AC on. I haven't even used the AC yet.
Ron

·
Registered
232 Posts
symptom is called "surging" ... My car used to do it all the time when it wasn new... Im at 4200mi right now and it hasnt surged for about 1500mi now... Used to only do with the AC on... Probably just something in the PCM programming as far as the fuel map @ idle w/ ac on...

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had that happen a couple of times but its stoppped now. It might have been that in the mornings or times I havent driven my car for a while I let it warm up until the rpms drop to around 800 and the coolant is above 60. Its a pain sometimes but its good for the car and it mightfix your problem.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
exHondaman said:
symptom is called "surging" ... My car used to do it all the time when it wasn new... Im at 4200mi right now and it hasnt surged for about 1500mi now... Used to only do with the AC on... Probably just something in the PCM programming as far as the fuel map @ idle w/ ac on...

If I remember right, changing gas(fuels) brands can cause it too. The SVT Focus did the same thing. And a part of it was from using different gas(fuel) brands (shell, chevron, texaco, kwik-e mart, etc.) Cause the computer has to adjust to the different gasses(fuels) that it sees.

·
Registered
232 Posts
wasey13 said:
If I remember right, changing gas(fuels) brands can cause it too. The SVT Focus did the same thing. And a part of it was from using different gas(fuel) brands (shell, chevron, texaco, kwik-e mart, etc.) Cause the computer has to adjust to the different gasses(fuels) that it sees.
My SVTF always surged no matter what... until I got the diablo predator and reflashed it.... But you are right though... I had heard quite a few people say using only sunoco or shell or whatever made there surging go away.. I guess they were lucky.... I on the other hand always had a surging, stalling, broken car....

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Yup mine does it too, but I dont really wory about it...
I dont even know if it still does it anymore.
I havn't really noticed

·
Registered
18 Posts
i am at 7500 miles and mine does it all the time. I think that it mainly does it when am coasting in gear below 1500rpm then push in the clutch and stop the car then it starts. I ahev noticed that the car idles at 1500 rpm when i push in the clutch at speed and only idles at 800rpm when I am stopped.

·
Registered
25 Posts
FlynHigh71 said:
Has anyone found a fix for this, or is it sometihing to just live with?
One thing that will help is always use the same gas (i.e. chevron, shell, etc.). It's basically the computer changing fuel maps. ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
selfinfliction said:
there is a reflash for the idle issue, search around on the forums
I started this thread, and I haven't caught my car doing it since. Figures, but maybe the puter "learned" and it's happy now.

About this reflash, will the dealer do this even if you don't have a complaint? I mean can you simply go in and ask if there are any updates, and have the latest software installed? For free? Under warranty?

Ron

·
Registered
597 Posts
Since I have a early 2005 model SS I had the dealer reflash my computer, there was like 12 updates and one fixed the idle issues I was also having in the mornings.

·
Registered
135 Posts
my 06 ss/sc does the same thing and the dealer doesnt know what it is, so their calling gm to see if there is a fix so the more people who take it in to complain about it the quicker everyone will get it fixed

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
stonny9 said:
i am at 7500 miles and mine does it all the time. I think that it mainly does it when am coasting in gear below 1500rpm then push in the clutch and stop the car then it starts. I ahev noticed that the car idles at 1500 rpm when i push in the clutch at speed and only idles at 800rpm when I am stopped.
Mine has always done that. Doesnt matter if the clutch is in or not. It idles high while I am in motion, and drops down when I am stopped. Seems to be working as designed to me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts