Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.

I just ordered an 06 SS with G85 (it better be avail), and XM and that's it. Pretty much sight unseen as there are none here in Oregon. The dealer I went through had one, a loaded and black 05, it lasted 2 days.
Mine will be Arrival Blue BTW........

Looks like 8-12 weeks, but I won't be surprised if it takes longer. Went through Cars Direct, and I will get it at dealer invoice......right at 22K, and I'm eligible for any rebates and deals at the time of delivery. I'd be real anxious....but that's a long time to wait. :)
Time flies though.

Funny thing is, the broker I ended up with has known my sweetie for 15+ years, so it was nice to deal with someone I trusted right off the bat.

So an intro.
I'm not a kid like most of you. Just turned 50, and have been a car guy/drag racer for the last 30 years. I currently drive daily a Quad 442 Calais W41 that with my mods runs mid 14's. They made 204 of them......
I sort of switch between that and a 90 442 Calais that also runs mid 14's, and has a Torsen to boot. Hence my desire for the Quaife diff. Almost a must for a FWD car with any sort of power.

I look forward to reading here and hopefully I can offer advice on mods and drag racing stuff from time to time. I will take the SS to the track after the first 5K miles and see how it does. Real interested in how it feels compared to my Olds cars....I'm sure it has a bunch more torque, but less of a high rpm rush.

I'm a little puzzled by the power some have seen at the wheels.....more than GM advertizes, which means the things make more like 240 at the crank......so they should run near 100 in the 1/4. Lot's of questions.

As far as the SRT4's are concerned? Who cares......they are butt ugly. I'm 50 and have never owened a 4 door. That ought to stirr up a bit from the foes. :)

Sure hoping GM comes out with some hop up parts....covered by warantee of course!

One more thing for those of you who do go to the track. Street tires are worthless at the drag strip for the most part. When the track is prepped, it will take your shoes off if you walk on it, but that stuff just doesn't match up with street rubber. Neither does the rubber laid down from real slicks. You will hook better on the street. Guaranteed. Get some drag radials if you want to play at the track.
And FWIW....I've seen more than a few SRT4's run at the track, and none have gone below 14.2. And they still have 4 doors............

Sorry for being long winded.......

Ron

·
Registered
498 Posts
SRT-4 owners have been OWNED!!!!

J/K

None! Below 14.2? Wow. Get ready for the comments on that one.

·
Registered
492 Posts
He just said none that he's seen, and that's believable. Besides, he has a car that runs 10's. He didn't mention it, but listed it in his sig. Maybe he didn't want to sound like he was bragging. Anyways, welcome aboard, and it's a good time to hop on this LSJ ship as the aftermarket is set to explode (at least for you guys :( )

·
Registered
122 Posts
i totally agree.... once i found out that those srt's only come in 4 doors, i decided i'd wait to see what else is out there, and seeing my parents work for GM i went with the SS.. and couldn't be happier! yeah GM mods covered by warranty would be really nice.. don't want to ruin the nice warranty we got

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no doubt that stock Neons have gone in the high 13's. I just haven't witnessed it myself.
The average WRX also seem to run low 14's.
I don't know about the Lancer Evolution. (I actually would like one of these if it were a 2 door w/o all the wings etc)

Ron

·
Registered
162 Posts
498Nova said:
I currently drive daily a Quad 442 Calais W41 that with my mods runs mid 14's. They made 204 of them
Ron
I knew they were rare, but man....I have been looking for one since the day they came out (granted, not that hard, but I keep my eyes open). Saw one, once on the street, was not for sale.

I did not know they were that rare though. I absolutely balked at the idea of buying the SCX Olds version, so very, very ugly.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Well, when you get your SS and start getting your ass handed to you at the track by a "4-door, butt-ugly Neon" just remember this thread.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't realize that Neon owners posted here. Isn't this a Cobalt forum?
Anyway, I should have said that I don't care for the looks of the 4 door SRT-4. Better?
Dodge should have left the previous 2 door version alone, and added the new turbo engine. Now that would have been quite fast.
As far as having my ass handed to me....well, I didn't buy this car to race competitively with. I have a car for that. I bought it because to me it looks good, performs way better than the avg 4 cylinder car, handles well and it's a Chevy.
Of course I'll race it sometime to get some numbers, but that's always just for fun. No sense racing for braging rights against a known quicker car. Unless the two are only a couple of tenths different and I cut a light on you.....
Ron

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DigDug.....Agreed, the SCX is ugly, and heavy, and the interior looks bad. To me.....
ron

·
Registered
85 Posts
o shit i feel really stupid now...i work at a chevy dealer and im missin out...what is g85

·
Registered
543 Posts
I thought the G85 was the performance package....either way.
Maybe someone can answer this one, go on cars direct...usually where I shop for cheaper new car prices....and tell me why they say the performance package is no longer avail. for factory ordering as of May 16th.
Is the car coming standard w/ LSD now? and Recaros?

just looked and Chevy's site no longer shows the performance package in the options, nor did I see mention of LSD or Recaros.

·
Registered
122 Posts
mm_omega2 said:
why they say the performance package is no longer avail. for factory ordering as of May 16th.
Is the car coming standard w/ LSD now? and Recaros?

that would really piss me off!! but then again its my fault for gettting antsy and buying the frist cobalt i seen.. but i can't really complain about this car too much its still fun too drive

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
That kinda sucks that in order to get LSD and bolstered seats you have to pay EXTRA.
They came standard on '04-'05 Neons.
But yeah, I wondered why they didn't try to put the 2.4L Turbo engine in the 2-door Neon variant. Guess the 4-door was "cheaper" :lol:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the printout right here in front of me from the dealer.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt 2dr Coupe SS Supercharged 1AP37

G85 is clearly listed as the Perf Package $1320 Invoice price $1500 MSRP

However, I don't know if my dealer has actually placed the order with the factory yet.
I had heard some rumblings though that it wasn't going to be available due to supplier problems.

I guess time will tell. If it's not available, I'll cancel the order. The lsd is a must as far as I'm concerned. and fun as well.

How exactly do I post pics?

Ron

·
Registered
543 Posts
IrepCLEVO said:
i just looked on the site and found it right away
http://www.chevrolet.com/cobalt/
then click on the performance pkg. link and it takes you here
http://www.chevrolet.com/pop/cobalt/performance_package.jsp

and i just ordered a 2006 cobalt ss/sc with it
I know that part on the site shows it but I was tlaking about in the "build my car" section doesn't show it....
Not saying I do not believe you because there are many people ordering their new cars w/ it. I was only simply asking if anyone knew why on the chevy site it did not list it as an option, and another states it was no longer avail. for order as of May16th2005...I'll post pics just to let you guys see what I was asking about.

iball said:
That kinda sucks that in order to get LSD and bolstered seats you have to pay EXTRA.
They came standard on '04-'05 Neons.
But yeah, I wondered why they didn't try to put the 2.4L Turbo engine in the 2-door Neon variant. Guess the 4-door was "cheaper" :lol:
I would have been nice if they offered an SRT version in the old neon sport coupe 2dr body style. I think it was cheaper to just use the current body and add on it rather than redesigning the frame/body back to 2dr like they had on the 1st gen neons.

Attachments

·
Registered
543 Posts
ok...weird.
I took a screenshot of the chevrolet website yesterday which showed the options for the CSS... it did not show the G85 package anywhere. Now if you go the G85 performance package is the very first option.

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
MoparTurbo3R said:
:rolleyes: Again with the neon haters, i guess this is COBALT SS forums so im gonna here a lot of it
Why didnt you buy a car that was worth all the money you dumped into that car with all the mods that you have put into that car. All I have to say is what a wast of money... Who cars how fast your car can go just look at it.. It's the most uglyest car I have ever seen.. And also who cares that your (NEON) SRT-4 can beat a SS. If we had the time since the NEON came out the SS would just be as fast or faster. Just give it time.. All this is,,, is more compation for Dodge and Chev....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts