Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it was kind of free since I had a spare GM tire kit for my Z06 laying around. I figured that if the Z06 doesn't need a spare tire the SS doesn't need one either. Especially since the space saver spare will only fit on the back wheels of the SS. Basically, trade out the spare tire for a tire repair kit and save 30 lbs.

I took out the spare, jack, and mounting screw and weighed it, 35 lbs. I weighed the GM kit + a tire plug kit, 5 lbs. Even though the GM kit comes with a b***le of tire slime I prefer to use a plug, and besides I probably don't want slime in there with the tire pressure monitors. So the difference between the stock spare and the GM kit results in a 30 lb loss of weight out of the car. If I removed the slime it would probably save one more pound.

I velcro'd and bungee'd the GM kit then placed some old packing Styrofoam (from a tv or stereo) above the kit to support the trunk carpet/tire cover. So far it appears to be working like a charm.

For anyone considering this mod I'm guessing you won't have a spare GM tire kit laying around. You can find a cigarette lighter socket powered air compressor on flea bay for $10-30. Basically the same thing as the GM kit without the slime.

30 lbs less is a permanent performance improvement. It improves gas mileage, acceleration, braking, and turning, all the time. It's free, or nearly free.

Here are some pics:

The other option is to lose 30 pounds off your body to achieve the same result. My guess is that most people would rather take out the spare tire rather than going through the effort to remove their own spare tire.

Dog

·
Super Moderator
1,639 Posts
meldog21 said:
The other option is to lose 30 pounds off your body to achieve the same result. My guess is that most people would rather take out the spare tire rather than going through the effort to remove their own spare tire.
lol dude lol

·
Registered
86 Posts
Eh...30 lbs isn't going to get you ANY time difference on the track...I'd rather keep my spare. lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eh...30 lbs isn't going to get you ANY time difference on the track...I'd rather keep my spare. lol
Really? Maybe you should just add 30 pounds, or 300 pounds, if it doesn't make any difference.

Sorry for the idea. Sometimes when I post on the Cobalt forums I forget that there are only like 4 or 5 guys here that have any road race experience.

Keep adding bling, weight, and motor mods. I'll see you later sometime, in my mirrors.

Dog

·
Registered
86 Posts
For all your "road racing" experience you obviously don't know much of sh*t about racing...

If you did, you'd know that it takes 100 pounds to get 1/10 of a second off your time....so 30 pounds?....that didn't do you anything...at all....but when your stuck on the side the highway in your mean racing machine that's 30 pounds lighter than factory with no spare...have fun...idiot.

Do yourself a favor and lose 30 pounds off yourself...you'd be better off...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Really? Maybe you should just add 30 pounds, or 300 pounds, if it doesn't make any difference.

Sorry for the idea. Sometimes when I post on the Cobalt forums I forget that there are only like 4 or 5 guys here that have any road race experience.

Keep adding bling, weight, and motor mods. I'll see you later sometime, in my mirrors.

Dog
WOW I really overlooked this whole motor mod part of your ridiculous post.
So what your saying is adding motor mods just adds to the weight of your vehicle and yields no performance gains while taking out your spare tire and cutting out a wimpy 30 pounds is the way to go...man you are truly stupid.
At that rate, the only thing you could possibly be beating in your "road races" is kids on bicycles...

·
Super Moderator
1,639 Posts
all i have to say i still have my spare tire. but i can feel the differents in my car even when i have my paintball bag in the car, and thats only maybe 40lb. I think this is ok idea. not the best but i still agree with it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wow....
I literally feel no difference when I have someone in my passenger seat or not...
If I have a car full, yeah. I feel a difference. So if you can feel a difference in 30 - 40pounds...it's seriously in your head...

If you were a good enough driver to run CONSISTENTLY EVERY time you went to the track (I'm talking no different than a few tenths difference each run, you'd see that with or without the spare you will run the EXACT same time...

So even though you would run the EXACT same time you'd just rather not have a spare tire for just in case something were to happen and you needed it....that's just so smart...I guess it's just over my head...

·
The HepKitty
1,329 Posts
the removal of the spare is juts one little thing in weight reduction, and if it sheds 30+lbs that is good, combine that with other things and as said before, it all adds up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
wtf?
What does paying your payment have to do with what you feel?

·
1,087 Posts
My feelings are hurt now because now I have to risk getting a nasty blowout and not having a spare tire to swap on my car....

And now I'm too fat to drive it too.... 200 lbs with hardly any body fat and losing 30 more pounds would take my muscle away. Why would I want to do that?? I don't even want to race anymore! ****Crawl away to my hole****

Wait!! A better weight reduction mod just came to me! Remove the rediculous butt warmers that are on the driver and passenger seats. Easy to do and requires a couple easy to find tools! Maybe then, you you can still use your spare....

But seriously, if you plan to autocross, drag race, whatever, I have been out to all these events and these guys that show up with their stock whatever all have their spares in the trunk and just take it out for that short time at the track and then simply put it back in when they go home. Isnt that the way you're supposed to do it?? Maybe I'm wrong but like I said, the removal of the seat warmers will shed maybe at most 50lbs....

·
Registered
86 Posts
My feelings are hurt now because now I have to risk getting a nasty blowout and not having a spare tire to swap on my car....

And now I'm too fat to drive it too.... 200 lbs with hardly any body fat and losing 30 more pounds would take my muscle away. Why would I want to do that?? I don't even want to race anymore! ****Crawl away to my hole****

Wait!! A better weight reduction mod just came to me! Remove the rediculous butt warmers that are on the driver and passenger seats. Easy to do and requires a couple easy to find tools! Maybe then, you you can still use your spare....

But seriously, if you plan to autocross, drag race, whatever, I have been out to all these events and these guys that show up with their stock whatever all have their spares in the trunk and just take it out for that short time at the track and then simply put it back in when they go home. Isnt that the way you're supposed to do it?? Maybe I'm wrong but like I said, the removal of the seat warmers will shed maybe at most 50lbs....
Well man, evidently some of these people race their cars from stop sign to stop sign and red light to red light, etc...

I guess no one brings the racing to the track anymore...
Just taking out the spare at the track makes too much sense...I mean...Neldog says he wants the better accelerating and braking "all the time." Everyone knows 30 pounds is the difference between losing a race and winning a race...

·
Super Moderator
1,639 Posts
here a good idea. If you want to take out your spare tire. then take it out. if you rather keep it in while racing and whatnot thats you.

This is a good idea. IMO and bruceg quit flamming.

·
The HepKitty
1,329 Posts
Bruce, I cleaned this thread because of you, I then pm'd you and ask you to stop, and yet you go at it again. At this point, just avoid this thread, you have made your point, or this forum will lose some weight, if you get my drift.

·
1,087 Posts
^^

Don't get me twisted that I am trying to flame on anyone but just that taking the weight out of the front from the Cobalt is more sense than the rear when you do Autocross. The Cobalt sits officially at 1750lbs front, 1125lbs rear stock because I weighed mine at a scale....

But for straight line, not much to be said about 50lbs.... Spare in or spare out, its your problem not mine :)

Good post and credibility but not so significant to MY standards or judging by the other posts, other members.

By the way Mt, that is a really nice squat that your Goat did on that launch. Guess that is what happens when you have almost 600 hp from the motor to the rear end.

·
The HepKitty
1,329 Posts
The rear end squatted so much because the Goat has the spare removed.

*triple drum roll followed by cymbol clash*

1 - 20 of 30 Posts