Cobalts SS banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the dealership the other day and was talking to the parts guy about swapping my filter, and he told me that if I did it would void my warranty if I ever had engine problems. What a load of crap! Anyone else have experience with this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act the dealership has to prove that the aftermarket part is what caused the damage. I wouldn't worry about it, I have a K&N on my Red Line and haven't had any problems

·
Registered
232 Posts
jmonte345 said:
According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act the dealership has to prove that the aftermarket part is what caused the damage. I wouldn't worry about it, I have a K&N on my Red Line and haven't had any problems
He is in canada though.... Im assuming the magnuson-moss is an american law

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've heard that hanging fuzzy dice from your rear view mirror can void the warranty, too. ;)

If my dealer told me that an air filter would void it, I'd find me another dealer.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Who cares what the PARTS guy says anyway.... The SERVICE manager should be the one to to tell you those things. If I were you I would ask them and see what they say. The parts guy wants to sell you parts!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Welcome to the warranty hell that most SRT-4 owners are experiencing.
The MM act will only help you in a court of law. The DEALERSHIP itself won't care, but the company GM contracted out warranty issues to will try everything they can to get YOU to pay for it instead of GM.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you look in your warranty supplement you will find the following statement:
This warranty does not cover any damage or failure resulting from modification or alteration to the vehicle's original equipment as manufactured or assembled by General Motors except for dealer installed Regular Production Option (RPO) equipment.

So (and irregardless of the MM Act) if you decided to put in a K&N cold air intake AND the engine fails AND the root cause of the failure is deemed to be due to excessive dust/debris being drawn into the engine due to incorrect assembly, loose clamps, or improperly installed/serviced air filter (K&N or otherwise) THEN there is grounds for them to deny the claim.

So in short if THEY determine that the modifications made are the direct root cause of any failure, the warranty claim for those specific repairs can be denied. To do this the dealership would have to get the next level GM personnel involved as well, typically an area/district/zone service manager.

HTH
WOT

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah , today's engines are built different so that a little bit of dirt and debris getting in the engine due to increased air flow could damage the engine alot easier than the old engines. The good old chevy 350 will run even if you take the air cleaner off and not be too much worse for wear ( sure this would be different if you went on the sand dunes or something). But anyway maybe for only 4 hp gain it might not be worth the hassle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i had a guy that blew a 2.4L quad 4 up two weeks ago cuz he was using a dropin K&N that didn't fit right and was leting in lots of dirt. #4 hole only had 60.PSI in it and was eating oil like it was going out of style. no
warranty

·
Banned
50 Posts
Its an air filter. If anything goes wrong, take it out. Not that hard, atleast to the point where you should be concerned. If you take it in for an oil change or anything at the dealer, put the stocker back in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
^^if the motor had an excess of sand or dirt in it, and you switched the filters back someone would be smart enough to figure out they were swapped. Most techs are pretty smart and should be able to figure it out.

New car warranty's cover the car they way it came from the factory. Any non number matching part COULD void a warranty, if the problem was caused by said part.

K&N's have a problem with warranty issues because a lot of smart-challenged people put one in and never check it , clean it or re-oil it.

K&N makes great filters, just be sure you get the one that is specifically made for your airbox / intake, and their won't be a problem with warranty anyways. You should see my carbs in my 86 GSXR, clean as a whistle.

If your motor fails due to your K&N filter, (and you have the proper filter) and GM won't cover it under warranty, guess who will. That's right K&N.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If it is just a filter change it but keep the stock airbox for when you go to the dealership. Problem solved. I have seen trucks come in with the Banks Six-Gun on them that caused the motor to blow up and the dealership replaced the motor under warranty. It just depends on the dealership.

·
Banned
50 Posts
jonnycat said:
^^if the motor had an excess of sand or dirt in it, and you switched the filters back someone would be smart enough to figure out they were swapped. Most techs are pretty smart and should be able to figure it out.
Ok maybe they are smart enough to figure out you were using an aftermarket air filter. But they have to PROVE it before denying a warranty claim. They cant just say "Well we believe you were not using the factory intake equipment therefore we dont have to fix your car". You would have to be a complete schmuck to let them win that one.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
i talked to the service manager at my local rip off surplus chevy dealership. they said i could put a new intake, and exhaust on it without voiding my warrenty. just dont dip into my engine/tranny.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree with show off if ur local dealer tells u anything different get a new dealer. my dealer looks at it as they get paid whether or i pay for it or gm pays for it though they told me a new pulley set would be just fine for warranty so i pit it on my christmas list...

·
Registered
51 Posts
That would be stupid if they said a drop in K&N would void the warranty, So then would a Fram? Or say how about all the other replacement filter manufacturers?.....So are we just supposed to use GM Parts? You can be damn sure i will be doing tune ups myself on this car, and i won't be buying the parts from a GM dealership when i can go to Wal-mart and bet the same/better parts for most likely a third the price. Not that i would go to Wal-mart either but you get the point!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Using an aftermarket filter will not "void your warranty" per se
However, if the use of an aftermarket filter is determined to be the "root cause" of some sort of DTC or failure (eg a P0171 setting) Then they COULD deny that particular claim, and charge you for the diagnosis time and the factory replacement filter. In fact this has already being reported as having occured in a number of cases. I am also aware of at least a few cases where the dealer had to replace the mass airflow sensor due to serious OIL contamination of the sensor element from K&N and other aftermarket "oiled" filters. These were also "cutomer pay"

Morale of the story? Use caution when replacing your filter or intake. KEEP your old parts so they can be installed to confirm whether or not they aftermarket parts are truely at fault. Make sure all of the fittins of the CAI are properly engaged and all clamps are tight so there are no leaks. On the LSJ. because the mass airfow sensor is so close to the filter element, oil your filter sparingly.

HTH
Regards
WopOnTour

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just talked to my dealer about a k&n filter he said they wont void the warranty if the mass airflow sensor is not all gummed up with oil.
they also said if there is to much oil on the filter it will make the computer act up. I live in arizona but my dealer is in needles california.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts