Cobalts SS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, whats up guys, I'm a newb to this forum. I've browsed for a while, but just never joined. I really like these cars though, and do enjoy keeping up with them and the new mods coming out.

My big question is, how come no one has scanned to see how much knock your getting before throwing on a smaller pulley?

I'm a Grand Prix guy, so I'm pretty good with supercharged cars. And I've seen alot of people blow their motor with to much boost and knock.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Currently, with our ECM, knock is rediculously hard to get. Even with the smaller pullies, people have seen no knock. They have scanned, but none have gotten any, not much at least from what I remember.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Drewfu$ said:
First off, whats up guys, I'm a newb to this forum. I've browsed for a while, but just never joined. I really like these cars though, and do enjoy keeping up with them and the new mods coming out.

My big question is, how come no one has scanned to see how much knock your getting before throwing on a smaller pulley?

I'm a Grand Prix guy, so I'm pretty good with supercharged cars. And I've seen alot of people blow their motor with to much boost and knock.
I have scanned for knock before, wasn't getting any.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
h8beingbored said:
... what is 'knock'
There are several different types of 'knock'

http://www.100megsfree4.com/dictionary/car-dick.htm M

More in likely they are talking about engine knock:When the engine is operating, an audible noise may be heard when the fuel in the cylinders is ignited too early and/or spontaneously, resulting in colliding flame fronts and shock waves which cause high thermal and mechanical stress, and can severely damage the engine.

Or maybe they mean to say pinging:A metallic rattling sound produced by the engine during heavy acceleration when the ignition timing is too far advanced for the grade of fuel being burned. The noise is caused by vibrations in the cylinder walls, head, and piston. When an engine pings, the normal, controlled even spread of the flame front is disrupted by the spontaneous combustion of pockets of fuel. Their collision sets off the pressure waves that result in the pinging sound. Pinging can be caused by bad timing, inadequate octane rating, incorrect fuel-air mixture, a hot spot in the combustion chamber caused by a glowing piece of carbon, or an overheat condition. Also called "knocking." Also see detonation.

·
Registered
945 Posts
wasey13 said:
There are several different types of 'knock'

http://www.100megsfree4.com/dictionary/car-dick.htm M

More in likely they are talking about engine knock:When the engine is operating, an audible noise may be heard when the fuel in the cylinders is ignited too early and/or spontaneously, resulting in colliding flame fronts and shock waves which cause high thermal and mechanical stress, and can severely damage the engine.

Or maybe they mean to say pinging:A metallic rattling sound produced by the engine during heavy acceleration when the ignition timing is too far advanced for the grade of fuel being burned. The noise is caused by vibrations in the cylinder walls, head, and piston. When an engine pings, the normal, controlled even spread of the flame front is disrupted by the spontaneous combustion of pockets of fuel. Their collision sets off the pressure waves that result in the pinging sound. Pinging can be caused by bad timing, inadequate octane rating, incorrect fuel-air mixture, a hot spot in the combustion chamber caused by a glowing piece of carbon, or an overheat condition. Also called "knocking." Also see detonation.

Thanks Jeevs you were always there for us! hehe just playing with ya
:p

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
The Alex said:
Thanks Jeevs you were always there for us! hehe just playing with ya
:p
My name isn't Jeeves, but thanks. :p Who names their kids Jeeves, anyways? Oh yeah the internet is awesome, thanks Al Gore. :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea that. Wow you guys are lucky then. Good to know. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts