Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just would like to hear some of your stories about salesmen and somethings they have said to make sales or just things they say that are stupid.

my wife and i went to go buy our lt in feb. we were looking at the ls and its when there was still a lot of snow. i wanted something safe for my wife to drive in the snow with traction control and abs. well he tried to tell me only the lt had traction control. lie. but i was already set on the lt just had to convince my wife which turned out to be easy when we got in for a test drive when it was 20 degrees and she found out it had seat heaters..lol

when we went to get the ss in june we went for a test drive and they had 5 of them only one blue. we wanted blue and when we were driving i said it sucks that you guys didnt get any with the 2 tone leather. he told me i could just buy the seat inserts to put over the seat cause thats how the other ones are...hahaha right.

i checked out the brakes pretty good and my wife says wow this one stops way better than the lt. the salesman then said its cause this one is way lighter...haha i said no it has 4 wheel disk and the rotors are bigger...he looked confused. we left and went back an hour later and bought it from another salesman

sorry for the long post

·
Registered
58 Posts
First off, not all salesman are liars. Yes it is an easy business to make quite a bit of money rather easily, which helps some under-educated people get a decent job. I am a GM salesman myself, and I make it a personal goal to know each and every one of my specific vehicles to a T, not only to inform the customer, but to improve myself. Some salesman are pathetic however, I agree. We even have salespeople at my dealership, telling customers things that I have never heard of before. I guess I'm just attempting to defend myself in the fact that not ALL car salesmen are liars, and im sorry you had a bad experience. Atleast you went and bought from another salesman, if he wasn't as educated as you about his own vehicle, then he doesn't deserve your business anyways. Next time you need a car give me a buzz and I might change your opinion.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
by no means did i mean all salesmen lie. i know they dont. i know a lot of really good honest salesmen since i work at a car dealer. i think that they all need to be like you and be up to date on the product. if they dont know they should just say they dont know and find out rather than just make something up. keep up the good work.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've had an Acura dealer tell me the RSX Type-S runs mid 13 second quarter miles stock. I then pointed out to him that the Saturn ION Redline and Chevy Cobalt SS/SC were both faster and they only run mid 14 second quarter miles. He tried to tell me that the Type-S was so much faster than the ION and Cobalt that they couldn't even compete. If the Saturn dealer next door had a Redline in stock I would have challenged him to a race. He told me that the RSX-S had 210hp, I told him that it's torque was pathetic, that many SC2s dyno comparable torque figures and are faster, without the almighty VTEC mind you, and they only dyno around 170-180. He then said that since the Redline and SS had 205 that they would dyno lower than that and I told him that most of them are seeing 215 at the wheels on dynos. And another thing about the bogus 13 second claim is that the SRT-4 is leaps and bounds faster and runs around 13.8 stock. I pretty much made this guy look like an idiot in front of his co-workers, and we were less than quiet and I'm sure a few people heard us and how the Saturn and Chevy were faster, and I'm pretty sure one kid left a salesman and I don't think it was because he just signed the papers on a new Type-S. And another time, I went to a Mitsubishi dealership and the had an Evo MR on the lot and someone just got back from test driving it. I asked the saleslady if they had the keys (as a formality) and she actually said "No". I got in my car and left. I don't have time to be fed bullshit like that.

Now in defense of salesmen, the guy I bought my Saturn SC2 from is a very knowledgeable guy. I went and test drove an ION Redline w/ him and everything he told me was right on with what I saw on the Redline forum. He didn't try and get a quick one by me and was very respectful and helped me out w/ starting on an incline, something I've never had to do in a stick before. So it's not all of them, but I've noticed the pattern more in import salesmen than domestics.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
well, the only one that really sticks out is when my brother bought his truck. it is a dodge magnum v6 2 wheel drive truck.... we lived in the middle of no-where at that time so we had to be concerned of the snow issue and he needed 4wd... the salesman actually told him that we will get a dry spell and we wont get like any snow that winter.... needles to say the salesman bought my dad with that bs and he talked my brother into it.... my brother wrecked that truck 4 times that winter in all major interstate accidents.. that was 2 yrs ago .. he finally got it running again 2 and 1/2 months ago...

really fd up situation.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
a salesmen at the dodge dealership by me informed me that the mopar stage upgrades (including stage 3) did not void the factory warranty on the srt-4. he also told me that the srt-4 was faster than an sti/evo stock. he also told me that it came with a 6speed manual (right before we got in and test drove it... and i was like ummm... 5speed). he also told me the hood scoop served absolutely no funtion but was purely for looks... right after he told me that the scoop was functional and then i asked about the plastic piece. after we went and talked numbers, the first monthly he gave me was 690 bucks a month and after severe arguing i got him to go down to 600. then he got his manager in who informed me that... the srt-4 is a very hot little car and that they are selling for over 30 grand. he told me if i wanted lower payments he would show me a nice sxt. i informed him he could go f*ck himself and walked out.

i am now the proud owner of a cobalt ss/sc and get great service from my dealer and i had a very knowledgeable salesmen. the only thing he goofed on was he told me he was faily sure that all the ss's came with an LSD stock, but that he wasn't sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
iso said:
a salesmen at the dodge dealership by me informed me that the mopar stage upgrades (including stage 3) did not void the factory warranty on the srt-4. he also told me that the srt-4 was faster than an sti/evo stock. he also told me that it came with a 6speed manual (right before we got in and test drove it... and i was like ummm... 5speed). he also told me the hood scoop served absolutely no funtion but was purely for looks... right after he told me that the scoop was functional and then i asked about the plastic piece. after we went and talked numbers, the first monthly he gave me was 690 bucks a month and after severe arguing i got him to go down to 600. then he got his manager in who informed me that... the srt-4 is a very hot little car and that they are selling for over 30 grand. he told me if i wanted lower payments he would show me a nice sxt. i informed him he could go f*ck himself and walked out.

i am now the proud owner of a cobalt ss/sc and get great service from my dealer and i had a very knowledgeable salesmen. the only thing he goofed on was he told me he was faily sure that all the ss's came with an LSD stock, but that he wasn't sure.
what are your payments on the ss?

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
mangina said:
what are your payments on the ss?
they're a little above $300/month... so less then half what they originally quoted me on the srt-4. my truck was only $550/month and the sticker and that bitch was 36,XXX. so a 24,000 dollar car is somehow going to have a larger monthly then a 36,000 dollar truck? i think not. i got my truck from a dealer an hour from my house (but they didn't have any srt-4's cuz they were actually selling them for sticker price and not giving jaded monthly's) and they quoted me at about 350 a month for an srt-4 from them. but they weren't expecting and in again and my truck was killing me to keep driving.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
that's what i said... except it was more like hahahahaha, ok you guys can go f*ck yourselves.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Since my LS is my first new car I only have one experience so far. It wasn't a lie it was just lack of knowledge or he was incredibly confused the day I went in.

When I was looking at the Cobalt there was a salesman standing in the car lot behind a black LS with the sports appearance package and rims so I started talking to him about it. Really nice guy and I was surprised that he took the time to discuss the Cobalt with me for nearly 20 minutes considering I'm only 22 and they typically don't take us young guys seriously (too bad we like to spend money :D). The one thing that caught my attention was when he started talking about the HP on the LS. I distinctly remember him saying it was running 175hp...I pointed out that the 2.4L was supposed to be around 175hp but it wasn't going to be released until the 2006 models started rolling out and the non-ss models were listed at 145hp. He swore up and down it was 175hp so I let it go and asked for a brochure on the Cobalt and left. Sure enough, get in my old car, open the brochure and there it is...145hp I couldn't help it I started laughing my ass off.

Permafried-

·
Registered
434 Posts
When I finally saw the first SS in my area(the one I own BTW :D) I was so excited because I was waitin for this car for over a year and to finally see it in all it's beauty in person was wonderful. Well obviously I stop by and check it out and this salesman comes out saying man you are looking at one fantastic ride and I'm like ughhhh yeah, I've been waiting for this car for a loooooong time and he's like man do you know what's under the hood of this thing and I'm like yeah, then before I can speak the truth, he says "this thing packs a 2.0 liter TURBOCHARGED dual overhead cam engine with get this.....VTEC!!" He said it rather loudly too I guess to get me excited or something. So before he could take more away from my special moment I said yeah its a nice engine and said I'd be back sometime to test drive it. Luckily I came back the next day and thank God it was still there and that salesman wasn't there and i got a really knowlegable guy then.

·
Registered
95 Posts
iso said:

The local dodge dealership here told me the staged upgrade wouldn't void the warranty. Then he proceeded to tell me that I could not test drive the srt unless we "crunched the finance numbers" and I could "feasably afford the car". All of this because "every one in America wants to drive this car".
Apparently I am supposed to jump through all the purchase hoops just to test drive a car I might hate.

Then at the Saturn daelership next door I asked if they had any Competition Redlines in. The sales guy points to a regular redline and says "thats it. 2.2l turbo charged....".
He couldn't finish before I walked out.

Oh, shit. lol. The new hemi is 6.2l, not 6.1l. In case you didn't know. ;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
too many things to count ... maybe the stupidest was the mazda guy telling me the rx8 didnt have a rotary ...

the guy that sold me my car knew I knew allot more then him about cars so he basically elt me tell him about it ... the only think he slipped up on when speaking was that the seats were Recaro ... and that it could beat an 05 mustng GT in the 1/4 lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
I work at a chevy dealership and was gonna buy a blue ss/sc but i decided to wait until january to order a red one. when i told the saleman that was handling the sale he told me that the dealers already recieved their shares of 06s and i wouldnt be able to get one. Of course, i went and asked the sales manager and he said whenever i want one let him know and they'll order me one.

EDIT: also, when i was asking about payments, he said it would be in the high 500s. Seriously, i want a cobalt, not a tahoe. But after we ran the credit app it was around 350 a month, which makes A LOT more sense

·
Registered
227 Posts
My salesman told me "All SS models come standard with limited slip differential"....that was before I knew what the G85 was or even that it existed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts