Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was investigating where to look for longer studs for the Cobalt.

The size is 12X1.5mm and the stock ones were way to short to fit spacers or wider wheels safely. After lots of research and frustration, I could not find anything except for the Ebay studs which I was iffy about in the first place.

Now I have the right ones for you guys! I installed them just yesterday and the longer stud conversion applicable to the Cobalt (base models and SS), are actually the longer stud conversions for the 2005 Pontiac Grand Ams sold by GM performance divisions available at the dealer. For $2.50 a stud, they are readily available and you will need to change lug nuts as well to put your wheels on due to the added length. The correct lug nuts are 12X1.5" open end acorn style which will run you about $0.75 at Kragen or any other parts supplier.

To install them, you will need to do some tricky mechanical procedures due to the fact that the longer studs will not clear the backing plate in the rear and the Spindle in the front. I will post pics to help but not till tomorrow due to phone issues. But, to sum it up, for the rear, you will have to take off your wheel (obviously), take off caliper and bracket and rotor, unbolt top screw from shock on both sides. Make sure to have it on a rack and a jack under the axle with pressure so the spring doesn't unload all its pressure and damage anything. Then, let the axle hang freely to remove the spring, unbolt the 4 screws of the spindle to let it come out (behind the hub), bang the bolts out with a hammer and use an open end lug nut with a thick washer to pull the new stud through the hub and presto! Longer Studs! Go back and assemble the rear in the opposite order listed to put back together.

The fronts are a little more simpler than the rear. Take the wheel off, remove the caliper and bracket and rotor, remove 3 hub bolts from the back of the spindle. Knock out studs and pull out the new studs with the loose open end lug nut and thick washer and you are done. Repeat these steps in opposite order to reassemble and you have longer studs! NOTE: make sure to pump brake pedal before you start your vehicle to move.

Hope this list should help for any that are interested in longer studs!

·
The HepKitty
1,329 Posts
Excellent info, The pics will be extremely helpful...

·
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These two pics are the finishing product:

The bolts for the front hubs are located right next to the axle and are in a triangle distance:

The four bolts on the back side of the hub on the rear are located next to the spring and the purpose of taking the spring off is to get the b***om bolts loose:

And this is the shock bolt that is located on both sides that you disassemble to drop the rear axle:

And this is just an added pic of my SS just for the sake of it:

·
Registered
414 Posts
good stuff

·
Registered
72 Posts
the longer stud conversion applicable to the Cobalt (base models and SS), are actually the longer stud conversions for the 2005 Pontiac Grand Ams sold by GM performance divisions available at the dealer.
Hi RedSSStreak...do you have a part number for these? Where can I find a GM performance division store? Any GM dealer? Thanks!:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes i do.

GM# 22551491

Any GM dealer will carry it stock if not just order them and you should see them within a week....
Thank you thank you...these use the same thread/pitch as cobalt right (open nut of course)?:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes 12X1.5mm is the thread dimensions.

The original lug nuts will b***om out before it reaches the wheel. You will need to upgrade :)

Gud luck!!
Sweet...I shall return...;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just seen this thread, but I have put extended studs on the front of my TC for drag tires. I used some ARP studs and got baer brake spacers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just seen this thread, but I have put extended studs on the front of my TC for drag tires. I used some ARP studs and got baer brake spacers.
I think I may do the same...my 09's rear tires are already as far out as they can go...

·
Registered
1 Posts
The baer spacers are 2000008 - Baer Billet Wheel Spacers right? They say they are for 5X4.25 5X4.5 and 5X4.75 not saying anything about 5X110. I know thats close just want to check before I order.

How much longer are the GM bolts #22551491 than the stock ones??

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for the reminder...time to order the studs:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts