Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm new here but I've been following the Cobalt since it was supposed to be the 4th gen Cavalier. Anyway, I was just trying to get an idea of how everyone likes their Cobalt and if you regret your purchase in any way? Soon I'll be looking for a new ride with more power and the Cobalt was one of the cars that came to mind.

Right now I own a lightly modded 02 Cougar, which I bought brand new in 03 from a 96 Cavalier Z24. Going from my Cavy to the Cougar was a huge upgrade in every way IMHO. Even though I liked my Cavy, my Cougar is just an overall much better car. This is why I'm hesitent on even looking at the Cobalts. Whenever I see one, I can't help but think about the Cavalier and how poor of a car it really was.

Anyway, I figured this was the place to come to get real answers and opinions from people with first hand experience. I'm looking forward to see what people have to say.

Thanks,
Josh

·
Registered
945 Posts
My buddy has an 03 cav the cobalt is much better then that cav and the ss/sc is way much better way way way better. I had some minor problems and one sort of big one but it was more of a customer service thing but other then that i love my car, and to let you know about me im very very picky about my cars. :D

·
Registered
718 Posts
When i started looking to buy...i test drove the ss and most of the cars in its price range...it handles great ((good suspension)) and the pick up in 2nd is amazing...and i dont drive the sc...The problem is that gm is quick on thr trigger to void your warranty but thats true with virtually every brand...i definitely suggest the cobalt the ss or ss/sc theyre both good

·
Registered
729 Posts
My biggest regret is not waiting for '06 cobalts. Why? In Canada the G85 option was not available in '05. G85 is a big deal. Gives you a limited slip differential. the seats become recairo's too, but it is the LSD that is the big deal. putting it in after is costly and voids warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know, there are just something's that I don't know if I can overlook about the Cobalt. I'll start the list from most important to least. First off... No V6 option, No IRS :( , Not a hatch, No stock dual exhaust on SS models, (here's where I start to nitpick) the interior, although upscale for a Chevy, is very bland and generic looking, stock 18's are the most bland rims in the history of stock rims, no aluminum "sports" petals, and that's just the things that I can think of off the top of my head without even seeing the car in person.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ripping on the balt, it's nice for what it is... I just can't help but feel like I'd be downgrading by buying one. I will give it a fair shot by test driving one, but It's gonna have to REALLY impress me.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My honest opinion...I think you're being just a little closed minded about the Cobalt. I do understand that people want certain options, but you have to sacrafice something somewhere. Honestly, I would not base my opinion on the fact that it does or does not have a stock aluminum "sports" pedals or dual exhaust.(which serve no perfomance value on a four cylinder) GM has to cut somewhere for the car to remain affordable.

P.S. Don't think I'm trying to flame you or anything, I like to think of us as friends..lol.

P.S.S. HATCH BACK!?!?!

·
Registered
345 Posts
i had an 02 cavy and hated every second I had to drive it... i traded the mazda 6 in for the cobalt ss... and I love every second in it and i think it is worth every damn penny i pay for it.... but if you're going to be so nit picky get a freakin infiniti G35, acura RSX... If you want to be that picky you are going to have to pay more than what you do for the Chevy Cobalt.... but that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
SoFlaSS said:
My honest opinion...I think you're being just a little closed minded about the Cobalt. I do understand that people want certain options, but you have to sacrafice something somewhere. Honestly, I would not base my opinion on the fact that it does or does not have a stock aluminum "sports" pedals or dual exhaust.(which serve no perfomance value on a four cylinder) GM has to cut somewhere for the car to remain affordable.

P.S. Don't think I'm trying to flame you or anything, I like to think of us as friends..lol.

P.S.S. HATCH BACK!?!?!
You're right... I probably shouldn't, and most people wouldn't base their opinion of a car solely on some of the things I listed in my last post. The fact remains that I do look for those things and take them into consideration when making a decision on a new car. That shows me that a car company is willing to go above and beyond to make sure their customers are fully satisfied. I will admit that I'm nit picky and so shouldn't everyone be who plans to spend the next 4-6 years shelling out their hard-earned cash for a vehicle.

In all fairness to the Cobalt though, it does have a lot going for it in terms of power and styling for a car in it's class. It also seems to have a lot of future potential. It's because of these reasons that I haven't dismissed the Cobalt altogether from my list of potential future cars. And to all of you who are mad or worried that I'm not giving the Cobalt a fair shake, I do absolutely plan on taking one for a test drive before I make any kind of final decision. I would never go by looks or specs alone with out actually experiencing and getting a true feel for the car in person.

Oh, BTW Heather: I would LOVE to own a G35 coupe if it wasn't out of my price range.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Cougar Guy - if you are that ambivalent about it, then don't buy it. You'll always be wondering if you did the right thing. Be happy, get what you really want. As for me, I have the SS non-S/C coupe, and I love every minute I am in it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hmmm Dual Exhaust, Aluminum Sport Pedals............SRT-4? You would hate the interior though because it is very bland and plasticy. I dont mind that, but I am also a huge Neon fan. The CSS S/C is an excellent car though, I would say get the SS S/C, you will be happy with it.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
MAcougarGUY said:
You're right... I probably shouldn't, and most people wouldn't base their opinion of a car solely on some of the things I listed in my last post. The fact remains that I do look for those things and take them into consideration when making a decision on a new car. That shows me that a car company is willing to go above and beyond to make sure their customers are fully satisfied. I will admit that I'm nit picky and so shouldn't everyone be who plans to spend the next 4-6 years shelling out their hard-earned cash for a vehicle.

In all fairness to the Cobalt though, it does have a lot going for it in terms of power and styling for a car in it's class. It also seems to have a lot of future potential. It's because of these reasons that I haven't dismissed the Cobalt altogether from my list of potential future cars. And to all of you who are mad or worried that I'm not giving the Cobalt a fair shake, I do absolutely plan on taking one for a test drive before I make any kind of final decision. I would never go by looks or specs alone with out actually experiencing and getting a true feel for the car in person.

Oh, BTW Heather: I would LOVE to own a G35 coupe if it wasn't out of my price range.

what other cars are you looking at besides the cobalt?

·
Registered
945 Posts
MAcougar i had to pass up a badass BMW that was in immaculate condition b/c my bank is a Clay Aikon and wouldnt give me a loan. That car had everything i wanted and the my ss was not my second choice. I had to make sacrifices to get what i wanted im happy with my choice but i cant help but wonder what if. I should've bought it though at least i think i shouldve.

P.S i was researching on a new/used car for like 8-12 months.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
iso said:
what other cars are you looking at besides the cobalt?
Well, I've looked at some used AWD cars in my price range, but I would rather buy brand new because who knows if these cars have been beaten on. I've checked out a couple of 01-02 Audi TT's (225hp Quattro version) and also a couple of 04 WRX's. I would love to have something AWD because of the crappy NE winters, but I really can't afford something new in AWD right now. As far as new cars go... I've always liked the new Tiburons and I heard that they're getting redesigned in 07 so I'm really looking foward to see what those are going to be like. I'm also looking at the Mazda 6, Ford Fusion SVT (if it ever comes out), and Acura RSX to name a few.

·
Registered
729 Posts
MAcougarGUY said:
Well, I've looked at some used AWD cars in my price range, but I would rather buy brand new because who knows if these cars have been beaten on. I've checked out a couple of 01-02 Audi TT's (225hp Quattro version) and also a couple of 04 WRX's. I would love to have something AWD because of the crappy NE winters, but I really can't afford something new in AWD right now. As far as new cars go... I've always liked the new Tiburons and I heard that they're getting redesigned in 07 so I'm really looking foward to see what those are going to be like. I'm also looking at the Mazda 6, Ford Fusion SVT (if it ever comes out), and Acura RSX to name a few.
Well I can tell you this. If you want AWD for winter you should get it. I am bummed right now cause I gave up my 87 cherokee for the SS. the cherokee was AWD and parttime 4X4. It went through snow like crazy. there wasnt a person I didn't leave at the lights when it was snowing with my Wrangler MTR's 33X12.5R15. It was just awsome. I wish I had at least an AWD but chose not to for the cost and having a new car. settled on the cobalt. Its not all bad. Once you get going the car is quite good with handling and stoping. just to get going is like a regular car that is all. still can go fast in snow for it is better than a regular car. I do have snow tires! and Im not crazy driving in winter just controled.

·
Registered
345 Posts
i love the way the mazda 6s looks... but the SS is going to give you more power... even though the mazda 6 comes with a v6 option with 220 hp... it's not impressive. I traded my mazda 6 in for the SS.:)

·
Registered
945 Posts
Heather said:
i love the way the mazda 6s looks... but the SS is going to give you more power... even though the mazda 6 comes with a v6 option with 220 hp... it's not impressive. I traded my mazda 6 in for the SS.:)

The mazdaspeed 6 is a turbo charged 4 with AWD pumping out like 270 hp but its like 27 grand and it weighs in at 3600 lbs, it has a lower 14 sec 1/4 mile 6 speed manual its ok but id would still rather have my balt. Or just buy a new car thats cheap with AWD and drop some bitchin HP into it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts