Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spied: 2009 Corvette Stingray - Car News
650-hp boosted super-Vette is getting closer to reality.
BY JON YANCA, PHOTOGRAPHY BY CHRIS DOANE FOR BRENDA PRIDDY & COMPANY
October 2006

From afar this Vette would appear to be just another Z06. Now rub your eyes and take a closer look, because these are the first spy shots of the highly anticipated, but yet unnamed super Corvette. The large hood bulge you see is rumored to be concealing a supercharged 6.2-liter V-8, and packing upwards of 650 horsepower. This engine will likely use an integrated intake-manifold intercooler and should sprint from 0 to 60 mph in less than 3.4 seconds. And, with the addition of more carbon fiber in the body and expanded use of polycarbonates, this super Vette could weigh less than the current Z06.

GM’s Performance Center in Wixom, Michigan will likely produce the powerplant, but expect only about 1500–2000 copies annually. Initially called the Blue Devil, there has been much speculation in the past several months about the name for this super Z06. Recently we hear that GM has scrapped the Blue Devil name in favor of Corvette SS (we hope not), Z07, or even reviving the Stingray nameplate. Whatever the name may be, expect this beast to carry a sticker around the $100,000 mark, which is by far the cheapest way to get 650 hp in a production car.

http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/11836/spied-2009-corvette-stingray.html

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wet myself when I saw it

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ya I saw something in a mag once and I belive that they are going to be calling it Z07.
ive been hearing about this car for a few years now. it was originally called 'blue devil' as the article stated, butalot of what i have read says its more than likely going to be the corvette SS. for awhile there was a debate about what the current 06-07 z06 was going to be called because they were thinking of calling it the z07, but then decided just to stick with the z06 name.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
ive been hearing about this car for a few years now. it was originally called 'blue devil' as the article stated, butalot of what i have read says its more than likely going to be the corvette SS. for awhile there was a debate about what the current 06-07 z06 was going to be called because they were thinking of calling it the z07, but then decided just to stick with the z06 name.
Yeah, blue devil was its code name and that name came from GM CEO's alma mater -- Duke. I've heard Z07 and SS, but I've also heard Stingray. I think this is the name that GM will be going with since they have been using that name on a few concepts for the last few years.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Yeah, blue devil was its code name and that name came from GM CEO's alma mater -- Duke. I've heard Z07 and SS, but I've also heard Stingray. I think this is the name that GM will be going with since they have been using that name on a few concepts for the last few years.
I hope they dont use SS it seem ever model chevy makes there is an SS odel it kinda sucks because it loses its exclusivity. I love my car but i wish they had called it comething else. Dodge calls it the SRT-4 not a neon srt-4. so i think the cobalt should be a diff. name but"based" on the cobalt like dodge.

·
Registered
895 Posts
That Vette is nice and all, but it won't be able to hold a candle next to this local C6 Z06 :cool: ;) ....

A friend off my local forums is doing all the fab work. He is a EVO guru fabber but word travels fast around here. So in comes a customer wanting to build a C6 Z06 to be a beast of a beast of a beast LOL. Twin GT35s. He will have enough boost capable of 1200+whp but the motor of course won't be able to withstand that with stock guts inside. So he is tuning for a conservative 800-900whp until he decides he gets bored with those numbers :D

Pics are of the progress work as it has unfolded thus far....

This car will have 2 of these. Here is the passenger side....

Here is the IC getting fabbed up....

·
Registered
895 Posts
Just found out the car got done just 3 days ago! All that is left now is tuning via HP Tuners software. I'm hoping I can go the same day/night they plan on taking it up there and get some video footage.

Last of the updated completed pics...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts