Cobalts SS banner

Do you think the 2.4L should have SS bagdes on them?

• Yes

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • No

Votes: 40 81.6%
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I personally do not like the idea of the 2.4L Cobalts running around with SS badges on them. Is anyone else sort of pissed at GM for this?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Gah, the SS is a model designation. Its not the "hey lookie lookie, I'm the faster one". Its a specific trim level. It has nothing to do with N/A vs FI.

As soon as these boys come out with lower compression pistons for the 2.4L and start throwing some boost at it, all you 2dr SS folk gonna be wishing you would of went with the 4dr too. J/K but I do hope someone here lowers the CR and throws a snail on her and let her rip!

·
Registered
765 Posts
AJSINAZ said:
The 2.4 should be a Z24

I would think that GM would rather stay away from the Cavalier image if they could help it. Personally, I think they should have called it an RS instead just to differentiate between the two.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey oj, hypothetical situation. The SRT-4 is still in production and dodge decides to come out with an SRT-4 without the turbo, just the 2.4L engine. Wouldn't you be a little pissed at them?

·
Registered
498 Posts
hell yea, he would be.

Also, i think it's funnt how some poeple think it's so easy "just slap some new pistons in there, and while yer at it, toss a turbo in there..no big deal." lol you guys crack me up! Yea, it's a simple, cheap conversion that most people can do in their apartment complex parking spot :rolleyes:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^agreed, if it was that simple everyone would have a turbo on there car. It just isn't, it costs lots of $$$ to do that.
Oh and the 2.4L is a 2 door as well, at least they didn't screw that up, you can only get the 2.2L in the 4 door

·
Registered
498 Posts
no, there is a 2.4 SS sedan as well. In fact, it's featured on the home page of this site lol

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^OMG you have to be kidding me. So now there are 2.4L 4 doors going around as well. Screw GM, i should have gotten an SRT-4, they always manage to srew up a good thing.

·
Registered
251 Posts
JMac88 said:
I personally do not like the idea of the 2.4L Cobalts running around with SS badges on them. Is anyone else sort of pissed at GM for this?
Remember it's not only the SS models running into this...it's the entire Cobalt lineup. I personally don't like that GM is badging the base model Cobalts LS for 2006 when I have a fully loaded 2005 LS. Everyone who bought an '05 Cobalt is going to have to deal with the branding changes on '06 models...I wonder if GM would like to refund me the $9000.00CDN diff between a base model and my loaded LS? Probably not so we're just going to have to live with it :).

Permafried-

·
Registered
364 Posts
Permafried- said:
Remember it's not only the SS models running into this...it's the entire Cobalt lineup. I personally don't like that GM is badging the base model Cobalts LS for 2006 when I have a fully loaded 2005 LS. Everyone who bought an '05 Cobalt is going to have to deal with the branding changes on '06 models...I wonder if GM would like to refund me the $9000.00CDN diff between a base model and my loaded LS? Probably not so we're just going to have to live with it :).

Permafried-
i am also upset about this. the base became an ls right? then is the ls now an lt? is so whaat is the lt now?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Rocky said:
i am also upset about this. the base became an ls right? then is the ls now an lt? is so whaat is the lt now?
The '06 branding for the models goes:

Base -> LS
LS -> LT
LT -> LTZ
NA -> SS
SS/SC -> SS/SC

Basically what this leaves is the '05 base owners out in left field...just tell them you debadged your car :D. The LS and LT owners now appear side by side to be driving a lower model vehicle than what they paid for, and the SS and SS/SC models getting confused if they look at branding only (though the body kit is totally different). It's just going to create one huge confusing mess not only for consumers but the people currently driving the '05 models.

I have yet to see if this change will take effect in Canada. I know that www.chevrolet.com has updated their website with the new '06 branding but I'm still waiting to see what GM Canada does. If they do go forward with the change (which I can't imagine they won't) I fully intend to send an e-mail as well as contact a representative on the phone and basically ask them what the hell they were thinking and express my concerns. At least then it should be logged at the source and not just bottled inside my head :).

I think overall I'm more upset at the fact that to the average person my car appears to be downgraded a model regarding the branding which is not what I paid for. I just don't want people to take this the wrong way...I love all Cobalts regardless of the model and don't consider any single one better than another. We have an awesome domestic model we all should be proud to own...GM just rubbed me the wrong way with their "strategic decision."

Permafried-

·
Registered
385 Posts
I was really upset when i first found out, just like all of you. But when you look at all of Chevy's vehicle line you realize that, as was stated before, the SS is just a trim level. A trim level that gets its own engine (cobalt - 2.4, impala - 5.3, Trailblazer -LS2) as well as interior and exterior trim upgrades, wheels, and more. Now the SS/SC is an anamoly of Chevy. Instead of complaining you should feel blessed that they made it and you are able to have one.

And on the other point: if a company wants to change the name of a product what is the big deal. They are just alligning the cobalts with the rest of the chevy lineup so the lineup is consistant.

Just another opinion

·
Registered
251 Posts
Harley said:
I was really upset when i first found out, just like all of you. But when you look at all of Chevy's vehicle line you realize that, as was stated before, the SS is just a trim level. A trim level that gets its own engine (cobalt - 2.4, impala - 5.3, Trailblazer -LS2) as well as interior and exterior trim upgrades, wheels, and more. Now the SS/SC is an anamoly of Chevy. Instead of complaining you should feel blessed that they made it and you are able to have one.

And on the other point: if a company wants to change the name of a product what is the big deal. They are just alligning the cobalts with the rest of the chevy lineup so the lineup is consistant.

Just another opinion
That sounds about right...and regardless of what decisions GM makes regarding the Cobalt I'll still love my LS and nothing is going to change my mind otherwise. I'm sure over time I'll forget all about it...I think it was just the initial shock of it all especially since I caught wind of it less than 2 months after I'd bought my car :). But as long as we're all happy with what we're driving that's really all that matters :D.

Permafried-

·
Registered
85 Posts
hey i got one sittin in my driveway, i wanted to see what it was like...i think im gunna take it back it wasnt very fun to drive soooo...yea it sux haha i think RS would be much better

·
Registered
162 Posts
Rocky said:
i agree. whats so super sport about them?

Nothing, GM has not used the "SuperSport" designation since the late 60's when they went with 'SS' at about the time they 'officially' got out of factory backed racing.

Your CSS is not a Cobalt SuperSport. GM has never called an SS model SuperSport.

People assume it stands for SuperSport, but GM has never made the connection.

<edit>: just one of my pet peeves when people claim they have a SuperSport, also when people put the letters 'alot' together (which is not even a real word) when they mean 'a lot'.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts