Cobalts SS banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the magnaflow catback system for a while now and here lately when the muffler is cold and I cank it up it makes this kind of rattling sound. Once the engine and the muffler get up to opperating temps the rattle goes away. At first I thought mabey it was the cat but took it to the dealer and they said nothing was wrong with the cat. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
pardon my non-technical description, but it sounds to me like something holding the exhaust pipes is loose until the pipes heat up & expand. considering you have to drive it to the dealer, its already warm when you get it there, so they wouldn't be able to fix it becuase they can't find anything that isn't glaringly wrong. about the only way to get them to "find" the noise you know is there will probably be to have them hold it over night & start it the next morning cold & listen for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
there is a good possibility that it is the baffle in your resonator. I have a Saturn redline with the same exhaust. I am on my second system whicis a month old and I am developing the same rattle. if you can get under your car when it is cold, bang on the resonator with your hand. If it is the baffle you will here the rattle. I know of six other redline owners that have had this problem some more than once, and the shop that installed my second system said they have seen this a number of times.

·
Registered
23 Posts
there is a good possibility that it is the baffle in your resonator.

That is exactly what it is. As he said, Get under there and hit it pretty hard with your fist, you'll hear you're rattle..... Magnaflow = shit resonator. Corsa = All good.

Oh by the way make sure you ask magnaflow for a gasket too, they didnt even send one to my buddy... Hopefully you didnt overdo the clamp either.. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts