Cobalts SS banner

Magnason upgrade kit

10K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  MyCobaltSS 
#1 ·
I work for a Chevy dealer in denver where we put on a lot of Magnason supercharger kits on corvettes, trucks and SUVs. Anyways, I was talking to the Magnason rep and he told me in the next couple of months they will have an upgrade kit for the Cobalt SS and the Redlines that include a smaller pulley, a programmer, and an exhuast system to boost the HP to 275 HP. Don't have any prices yet.

#8 ·
Cobalt115 said:
Thats no deal if you ask me. You can almost buy a turbo for that.
Well yes but you would have to have a new header made for the Cobalt. That would be expensive and a good turbo could be 2 grand. Why go though all of that when a upgrade could be done and you would not have to put much more than just labor and the upgrade? But that is just my 2 cents.

#11 ·
I hate to put down magnuson because they make such awesome S/C kits, but I think the better option for you guys would be to port your own blower and intake, buy a pulley, buy your own exhaust, and either buy your own programming software when it comes out or get your car dynotuned at a shop that has a programmer than can be used on your cars. The porting should be pretty cheap, especially if you do it yourself(only cost would be a Dremel and a bunch of bits), the pulley gonna cost between $150-200, a programmer we have yet to see a price, but HPTuners costs around $500 so figure that as a worst case scenario or you can dyno tune for a few hundred, and the exhaust should cost around $500 for a catback. So you might be looking at $1500 bucks or so to do it all yourself and probably see the same power gains.

#12 ·
MY GTP 8 U said:
I hate to put down magnuson because they make such awesome S/C kits, but I think the better option for you guys would be to port your own blower and intake, buy a pulley, buy your own exhaust, and either buy your own programming software when it comes out or get your car dynotuned at a shop that has a programmer than can be used on your cars. The porting should be pretty cheap, especially if you do it yourself(only cost would be a Dremel and a bunch of bits), the pulley gonna cost between $150-200, a programmer we have yet to see a price, but HPTuners costs around $500 so figure that as a worst case scenario or you can dyno tune for a few hundred, and the exhaust should cost around $500 for a catback. So you might be looking at $1500 bucks or so to do it all yourself and probably see the same power gains.
Yeah i know but i would be a little scared to mess with the supercharger as far as porting it becuase i woulld be afarid to mess it up. But you do bring up a very good point.
Tahnks for your imput.

#13 ·
ALot of guys just have it done for them, and I dont think its all that expensive to do and its very worth it. I'm sure what Magnuson is selling is nothing but a ported and polished M62.
Its a good kit none the less for those of you looking for an easy bolt on. I just wanted to give a few ideas for those of you that are on a budget and cant splurge $2k+ for an S/C kit when you already have an S/C to work with.

#14 ·
MY GTP 8 U said:
ALot of guys just have it done for them, and I dont think its all that expensive to do and its very worth it. I'm sure what Magnuson is selling is nothing but a ported and polished M62.
Its a good kit none the less for those of you looking for an easy bolt on. I just wanted to give a few ideas for those of you that are on a budget and cant splurge $2k+ for an S/C kit when you already have an S/C to work with.
Yeah i know and i thank you for giving some info and your money saveing ways. :)

#15 ·
MY GTP 8 U said:

I don't see why you would do it yourself when WOLFEMAN would or could do it for $500 dollars more, with some kind of warranty! I think the warranty part would be priceless, if you do it yourself then their goes the warranty. Just my .02!

I would also like to mention that only time will tell, and of course $$$$ that you have to spend.

WOLFEMAN1981 said:
yeah 2 G's is alot, but thats ABOUT what its going to cost through my shop INSTALLED!!! without voiding the original warranty and getting a warranty thru magnason.

#16 ·
Well for anyone that wants to make the drive to Denver to get a warranty then I guess this is a good deal.

After re-reading the original post, I dont see any mention of an upgraded S/C, just the pulley/exhaust/and programmer. I assumed that a whole new blower would be included due to the $2k estimated price tag, or at the least a new snout with a modular pulley system. If theres no blower or even snout included and people are going to pay that kinda money for just the pulley/exhaust/programmer, then I'm gonna start buying those items in bulk and sell them as a kit for an insane amount of money and make some easy cash!!!

#18 ·
I think I was the only one complaining LOL!! And I dont even have an SS!! I just think there could be money better spent on a car that already has an S/C from the factory.

#19 ·
I don't think that is a bad deal at all. Look at the power that you are going to end up with. And if it is going to be a factory (basically) option then what better way to go then that. Even if it voids a warranty, you know it is going to work well. Copare it to the SRT stage 3 kit. That is like 3500 bucks!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.