Cobalts SS banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here. Before you flame me, rest assured, I'm not a troll, I'm a moderator over on a BMW forum. Just though I'd share this story.

I'm sure many of you guys might have seen the video of the bone stock Saturn Ion Redline hanging with a 1997 M3 (with CAI).

Well, a lawyer that I know bought a Cobalt SS.

So anyway, we agreed to race. The performance of a Redline against the mighty M3 scared me tho.

There were many lights on our way to our respective office, and I intended to make full use of them. The speed limit is 30 in most of these parts, so any racing is very dangerous for our driver's license.

1st light.

I'm behind him. I know I can't launch, or I'll ram him.

He goes, I hear some wheelspin, I start going but have to let off a bit to avoid ramming him, and when he's truly off, I can finally go WOT.

Well, he loses me, I shift hard in 2nd, make the Kumhos bark, yet can't seem to make up the distance. He goes up to 3rd I guess, a huge puff of black smoke comes out of his exhaust (the sound is pretty sweet for a stock car). And further extends his lead. Yes, it is quick.

2nd light

We're next to each other. He revs his engine. I build up the revs. Light goes green. We both get some wheelspsin, but he gets a LOT more than me. I put a couple of car lengths easy on him right at the start; I hear him giving his all, but by the time I shift hard in 3rd, I've put several car lengths on him. Judging from what happened at the first light, I expected him to catch up, but it never happened.

3rd light

We're next to each other again. Too dangerous to race there. We agree to take it halfway to 2nd gear, no more.

I get a decent launch, better than his, and rape him by the time I'm at 5500 rpms in second.

4th light

Next to each other. I'm on the right. This is likely the final light.

I build up the revs to a steady 3800 rpms. Light goes green. I get a little bark from the tires, and off I am. He spins too, but not that much. I put maybe a car length on him.

I shift in second, the tires bark.

Now... out of nowhere he appears to my left, fast, catches up and gets even/puts maybe a bumper on me.

I don't recall if it happened before I shifted to third, or after. All I know is, his shift points are not at the same time as mine, so when HE shifted to third, I gained back 3/4 of a car easy. Whew... So either I shifted to third before him (which allowed him to catch up), and he lost ground when HE had to shift. Or, I was still in 2nd gear, and his 2nd gear (and his car basically) is actually stronger (or shorter?) than mine and he was catching up, and he had to shift while I kept going till the end of 2nd, making his potential win a short one.

After I had gained back my lead, we either remained even for a while or I kept gaining, I dunno, we both let off shortly after.

So in the end, I beat him from the start all the time. However, these seem to be 2nd gear monsters, and their top end seems like nothing to be ashamed of, far from it.

I have no idea what would be the story from, say, 65 mph and up, where the car and driver's launching abilities have no effect. I'm confident that I beat the driver, and that different gearing gave me a scare, but that the modded M52 prevailed. But just barely. This car could very well be faster than mine.

*sigh*

I need forced induction.

My mods :

2.8l engine
M3 cams
M50 intake manifold (OBD1, for those not in the know - not an OBD1 conversion tho)
Headers
CAI
Software

Roughly 208 rwhp; I hear stock Cobalts dyno around 207, so it sounds about right.

Cheers!

Hugo

·
Registered
259 Posts
hum.... not bad.... but whats the weight on a z3? and wonder if some sticker tires on it would make a difference. anyways..good runs

·
Registered
101 Posts
Novtec1 said:
hum.... not bad.... but whats the weight on a z3? and wonder if some sticker tires on it would make a difference. anyways..good runs
Super sticky tires on the SS and the SS would have taken him.

·
Registered
492 Posts
If you wanna see what his second gear can do, roll from second gear at 40mph. He should be around 4000RPMs, and when he guns it, I think he will give you a GOOD run for your money. Once from that point into third, our cars can handle themselves very well. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
raven said:
Super sticky tires on the SS and the SS would have taken him.
He has Pirelli P Zero Rossos. Are those that bad? :confused:

We will try from a roll some time, I guess. I must say I was impressed.

How are your cars from, say, 85 mph-up?

I know stock WRX will destroy me from a stop (AWD helps), and I once raced one from 60 and he did get away from me fast, but at 100, WRXs hit a wall. I reeled him in so fast I had to brake to avoid ramming him.

How do Cobalts SS fare at higher speeds?

This is my car BTW. I since lowered it an inch.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I would say for sure that a 70mph+ run would be great to see. the SS has great top end.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hugo said:
I know stock WRX will destroy me from a stop (AWD helps), and I once raced one from 60 and he did get away from me fast, but at 100, WRXs hit a wall. I reeled him in so fast I had to brake to avoid ramming him.
Not all hit this imagery wall :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
If your in Wisconsin, I would like to run you. I got the launch done to were I get very little wheelspin in 1st. Not saying I would beat you, I don't know what your cars can do. Just bored and looking for fun. I have been getting no bites lately?!

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Hugo said:
Roughly 208 rwhp; I hear stock Cobalts dyno around 207, so it sounds about right.
Yeah anywhere from 205-215.... depending....
Good runs man! I like Z's a lot, my uncle used to have one, and sold it for like $12K! I was like WTF?!?!? Thats cheap as hell I coulda bought that! I wish he woulda let me know he was sellin it... only thing is Im a lil tall for em.... lol 6' 2~3"...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hugo said:
Hi, I'm new here. Before you flame me, rest assured, I'm not a troll, I'm a moderator over on a BMW forum. Just though I'd share this story.

I'm sure many of you guys might have seen the video of the bone stock Saturn Ion Redline hanging with a 1997 M3 (with CAI).

Well, a lawyer that I know bought a Cobalt SS.

So anyway, we agreed to race. The performance of a Redline against the mighty M3 scared me tho.

There were many lights on our way to our respective office, and I intended to make full use of them. The speed limit is 30 in most of these parts, so any racing is very dangerous for our driver's license.

1st light.

I'm behind him. I know I can't launch, or I'll ram him.

He goes, I hear some wheelspin, I start going but have to let off a bit to avoid ramming him, and when he's truly off, I can finally go WOT.

Well, he loses me, I shift hard in 2nd, make the Kumhos bark, yet can't seem to make up the distance. He goes up to 3rd I guess, a huge puff of black smoke comes out of his exhaust (the sound is pretty sweet for a stock car). And further extends his lead. Yes, it is quick.

2nd light

We're next to each other. He revs his engine. I build up the revs. Light goes green. We both get some wheelspsin, but he gets a LOT more than me. I put a couple of car lengths easy on him right at the start; I hear him giving his all, but by the time I shift hard in 3rd, I've put several car lengths on him. Judging from what happened at the first light, I expected him to catch up, but it never happened.

3rd light

We're next to each other again. Too dangerous to race there. We agree to take it halfway to 2nd gear, no more.

I get a decent launch, better than his, and rape him by the time I'm at 5500 rpms in second.

4th light

Next to each other. I'm on the right. This is likely the final light.

I build up the revs to a steady 3800 rpms. Light goes green. I get a little bark from the tires, and off I am. He spins too, but not that much. I put maybe a car length on him.

I shift in second, the tires bark.

Now... out of nowhere he appears to my left, fast, catches up and gets even/puts maybe a bumper on me.

I don't recall if it happened before I shifted to third, or after. All I know is, his shift points are not at the same time as mine, so when HE shifted to third, I gained back 3/4 of a car easy. Whew... So either I shifted to third before him (which allowed him to catch up), and he lost ground when HE had to shift. Or, I was still in 2nd gear, and his 2nd gear (and his car basically) is actually stronger (or shorter?) than mine and he was catching up, and he had to shift while I kept going till the end of 2nd, making his potential win a short one.

After I had gained back my lead, we either remained even for a while or I kept gaining, I dunno, we both let off shortly after.

So in the end, I beat him from the start all the time. However, these seem to be 2nd gear monsters, and their top end seems like nothing to be ashamed of, far from it.

I have no idea what would be the story from, say, 65 mph and up, where the car and driver's launching abilities have no effect. I'm confident that I beat the driver, and that different gearing gave me a scare, but that the modded M52 prevailed. But just barely. This car could very well be faster than mine.

*sigh*

I need forced induction.

My mods :

2.8l engine
M3 cams
M50 intake manifold (OBD1, for those not in the know - not an OBD1 conversion tho)
Headers
CAI
Software

Cheers!

Hugo
nice runs...
modding is definitely addicting. :D

·
Registered
454 Posts
What a suprise coming from a Bimmer owner, nice words! That's awesome!

The Cobalt and Redline accel at the same rate from 2nd to 5th. It's pretty neat. If you hold it down you hit 145 at a quick rate.

How fast have any of you got the Cobalts? I hit 135 with the Redline and looked like I had at least another 15mph. Not sure. Shouldn't have been doing that speed to begin with, so once common sense took over... that was with someone in the car too, he was REAL suprised to look over and see 130 with the needle moving...

Nice ride BTW, I love those roadsters... look much better than the new ones IMO....

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
i've taken my cobalt ss up to it's drag limited speed of 145 mph. i'm almost positive the redline is drag limited at the same speed so you only had to go 10 more mph to max it out. i do a lot of driving at 3 in the morning, so when no one is on the highway i get a nice long stretch of straight and fairly smooth rode to just open it up. it's actually tons of fun.

·
Registered
47 Posts
iso said:
i've taken my cobalt ss up to it's drag limited speed of 145 mph. i'm almost positive the redline is drag limited at the same speed so you only had to go 10 more mph to max it out. i do a lot of driving at 3 in the morning, so when no one is on the highway i get a nice long stretch of straight and fairly smooth rode to just open it up. it's actually tons of fun.
yea yea yea probably took forever to get there. try 155 in an srt-4. its nice when it doesnt take a year and it has some tq. behind it

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
demorior said:
yea yea yea probably took forever to get there. try 155 in an srt-4. its nice when it doesnt take a year and it has some tq. behind it
now you're the one with the bullshit. your NEON is drag limited at 150, there's no way you took yours above that. oh and yeah... actually it took me two years to get there, cuz i had to stop to have sex with your mom a whole bunch of times.

·
Registered
78 Posts
iso said:
now you're the one with the bullshit. your NEON is drag limited at 150, there's no way you took yours above that. oh and yeah... actually it took me two years to get there, cuz i had to stop to have sex with your mom a whole bunch of times.
Do you even have a clue. Oh you read somewhere about this 150 number. Well you moronic douche bag, you are wrong. Very wrong. I have had mine up to 163 before. Open Stretch of road going to Shreavport to gamble. And it is rev limited.

Wow another mom joke. You guys all in high school?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts