Cobalts SS banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

First time poster here, the site looks great, full of information and what seems to be a solid support group for Cobalt owners.

I bought a 2005 Cobalt SS S/C last month (April 06) with about 14000 km's on it and for now I have a question about the stereo. The car has had its fair share of problems, all of which warranty issues to which the dealer has been good for but I won't get into that here.

My question is this: when compiling MP3 CD-R's to play in the car, I was wondering how to get the title, artist, and album to show properly on the display. How do you have to name or tag your MP3 files so that all this info is in the right spot for the player to be able to display it? I use Nero Express for a burning program. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hmm, good question. I have gotten it to display correctly, and i use Nero, but i am at work so i cant help right now. Ill find out later if no one else can help you.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
yawney, you have to have the id3 tags updated on the mp3s themselves. the burning software you use has nothing to do with this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, but what and where exactly is the id3 tag? I probably should mention that I'm using windows XP. Is it uder properties? Because when I open properties under summary it has a field for title, subject, author, and catagory. Am I on the right track here? Or is it meant to go in the actual name of the file before the .mp3?

Thanks for the replies...

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can edit the id3 tag directly with Itunes but not sure how to do it through "My computer" or "Windows Explorer." Itunes is free though so it's easy to get.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
There are plenty of standalone freeware tag editors out there. I use winamp as well. alt-3 opens the tag editor

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for getting me on the id3 tags, google is a great thing. The stock deck can only read version 1 tags, that is why it wasn't showing up on the display, or better put, why only some were showing up. So what I needed to do is convert all the id3 tags to version 1, simple. Not bad considering I didn't even know what an id3 tag was a couple of hours ago.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
heh heh good job. I was wondering if our head could read v2. never got around to testing it... I remember went shopping wth a friend for an mp3 player a while back. brought a cd with me to test with. it had different folders with all different types of mp3s: no tag, v1 tag, v2 tag, both tags but they were different, different bitrates, vbr, joint stereo.
Haven't bothered with the cobalt's though. It just seems to work :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts