Cobalts SS banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so my Cobalt SS is finally broken in. So a friend of mine at work has a WRX wagon. Now he kept saying shit to me when I got it since i didn't want to race him since I didn't put enough miles on my car yet.

So after work this morning I said to him "I think it's about time I kick that WRX's ass". He just laughs at me saying "whatever".

So we get out of the parking lot and line up at the first stop light. The next stop light being about 4 miles down the road, so it is a nice straight flat road with little morning traffic.

So we both wait for the light to turn green. It finally does and he gets a jump on me by maybe a car length (curse AWD) But as soon as I shift into second we are both tied and i just keeped pulling him HARD until I hit the brakes at around 100.

In to the end I think i might of had him by 4-5 car lengths maybe alittle more.

Not bad for my first race ever.

Can't wait to get the Pully and ECU Flash

·
Registered
509 Posts
Not bad for stock to stock racing... :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hmmmm....so the stock GM ECU in a Cobalt SS can be flashed easily?

(Damn you DCx with your Next Gen PCMs!! DAMN YOU!!!)

·
Registered
259 Posts
not bad for stock... just don't let him mod....

i'll give you a heads up
up/downpipe, boost control (if its a 02-03), turbo back exhaust, and some type of engine management (aka acessport, ecuteck) then you're gonna have problems.... remember he has 3 cats.. when they go the hp #'s go up.

oh and hes probably still on the stock tires.. ask any wrx owner... they are garbage...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Novtec1 said:

i'll give you a heads up
up/downpipe, boost control (if its a 02-03), turbo back exhaust, and some type of engine management (aka acessport, ecuteck) then you're gonna have problems.... remember he has 3 cats.. when they go the hp #'s go up.

oh and hes probably still on the stock tires.. ask any wrx owner... they are garbage...

The tires on mine are grade A :D

·
Registered
492 Posts
iball said:
Hmmmm....so the stock GM ECU in a Cobalt SS can be flashed easily?
No, they are not at ALL flashed easily. Nobody has cracked the stock ecu at all actually. PSI-Fi has a piggy-back they're using, but that's about it. The stock ecu is too damn smart and throws a hissy fit if anyhing is changed. Intakes are setting codes. It's retarded.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Novtec1 said:

i'll give you a heads up

Well I could add a whole bunch of stuff to my 2.2L Sonoma and it COULD be as fast as my Syclone... so whats your point?

Add similar mod's to the SS as you're adding to the WRX and I'm sure the race would end in a similar manner to the stock for stock race.

As for the SS, good kill man.

·
Registered
259 Posts
ozrein said:
Well I could add a whole bunch of stuff to my 2.2L Sonoma and it COULD be as fast as my Syclone... so whats your point?

Add similar mod's to the SS as you're adding to the WRX and I'm sure the race would end in a similar manner to the stock for stock race.

As for the SS, good kill man.
hey calm down.. for one.. i was letting him know what he can look out for and what he could mod to make it faster.. thats all... calm down...

oh and my point.. many WRX's don't stay stock for long....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Novtec1 said:
hey calm down.. for one.. i was letting him know what he can look out for and what he could mod to make it faster.. thats all... calm down...

oh and my point.. many WRX's don't stay stock for long....
Woah dude, sorry you took my post the wrong way. I'm calm as a cucumber man. :) <-- here's a smiley depicting me when surfing forums. lol

Anyway, thats cool you were just letting him know what to look out for.
I just see alot of people on these types of boards that are like "YA, well IF I did this and this and that, then my car would blow away your car!" My usual response to that is "Well IF I did similar mods to my car, it would still be faster"

I'm looking forward to the aftermarket catching up to the SS and offering all the goodies currently available for the rest of the market. I dont have a Cobalt SS or any Cobalt for that matter, but I'm happy to see Chevy putting something on the market like this. And hopefully by the time I'm ready to get a new DD (for which the CSS is one of my top picks) the aftermarket will be in full swing for these little beasts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Blue04RedLine said:
No, they are not at ALL flashed easily. Nobody has cracked the stock ecu at all actually. PSI-Fi has a piggy-back they're using, but that's about it. The stock ecu is too damn smart and throws a hissy fit if anyhing is changed. Intakes are setting codes. It's retarded.
The SVT Focus was the same way. Not as bad as throwing a code for an intake, but it took SCT and Diablo a while to get it all figured out. They had to use the piggy-back to tune them as well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Novtec1 said:
.. ask any wrx owner... they are garbage...
Amen to that.

patience padowan, GM will eventually come out with staged upgrades.
That seems good and bad to me (The fact that the ECU is so tricky). The good side being factory backed upgrades, the bad being factory controlled upgrades. Competition yields competitive prices....But I suppose sooner or later some crazy g33/< will crack the thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts