Cobalts SS banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well you have all heard me bash on the EBAY, HALO, and all "plug and play" HID kits that are sold on the internet. Now is my room to talk. I am hoping to have this project finished by spring time. As I progress through this project I will post more and more pictures as I go. Also when I am all said and done, I will take tons of comparison photos of "HID kits" and my True HID Retrofit and show you the light. :cool:

Ahh yes I have recieved my extra lights in the mail!

I drew up every little detail of the housing on the lamp. I will be designing and experimenting with mounting locations.

It took me about 40 minutes just to get one headlamp apart. I had to heat where the cover met the backing with a hair dryer to heat up the sealant. I got the assembly seperated in about 30 minutes. The chrome shroud came off easily but the reflector itself was held to the frame pretty well. It took lots of prying and precision but I finally got it off. I have more than enough space to place any Xenon projector I can find here.

I have decided the projectors I will be using are the Hella E55 3 inch Projectors. (Audi A6/RS6 BMW 5 series)

This is a picture of the Projectors.

As I said before, I will update as I progress, with tons of pictures!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I recieved my projectors in the mail today so I figured I'd start working on the retrofit.

The Hella e55 Bi-xenon projectors

The back of our stock reflector

The back of our stock reflector with cap and rubber cover off

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had to bend this Bulb nose off because it was held in with some crazy glue that I couldn't get off:

What I initially cut off:

Then cut off again and smoothed out:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Me hard at work :cool:

The cobalt peeking at its new eyes:

The projector temporarily mounted in the reflector

Note: I will have a shroud around the projector so the extra metal won't be seen.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
those would be sharp as hell if you were to throw a coating of bondo or some other compound over the entire silver part and paint it black or red

·
Registered
293 Posts
Bondo ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. gross. Yeah Impressive man. Nice job cutting out the housings, some skills for sure. PLEASE hook us up soon with your secret on how you got a handle on those xeons...Then we can copy you.... :)

·
Registered
895 Posts
kelleyperformance said:
you should start selling those to people. thats a sure money maker lol
Thats a great idea but be forewarned, the workload that is inolved on a mass level can get tiresome and get old quick if your not into doing this day in and day out. Its one thing to do your own car but its another when you got a bunch to do ;) . I do these for the Neon community and it takes alot out of you thats for sure. It takes willing to sacrifice breaking parts and paying for stuff out of your pocket when stuff breaks. That can and does get expensive :cool: . Just be sure you know what you'd be getting into if you went down that path. Not trying to scare anyone from trying it, but I'm just letting you know its a very labor intensive thing and people that buy cheap pocket rockets usually don't want to pay for the amount of labro involved or just can't justify why it cost money for things like this. Thats the problem with the neon community. Some see my work and knnow its worth every penny while others cringe when they see my price tag. Comes with the territory :cool:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks goes out to James Lee bigtime for the projectors!

Here is a picture with masked painted shrouds:

Here is a picture with the usmasked painted shroud

I am still not done, there is much more work to be done!!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Those look awesome. Would look even better on my black car :cool:

Quick question: does the turn signal have an orange lense or is it clear? Or is it the bulb that makes the reflector orange. If it is just the bulb a silverstar turn signal would make that look much better. Less orange = better.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts