Cobalts SS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new to these forums and I've recently purchased a brand new Cobalt SS S/C :p and I'm about to head out to work and I need one major question answered please! Since this is my very first "new" vehicle I was wondering how the break in process works. The owners manual says no elaborate break in is needed and says nothing about doing the first oil change early but on other sites I've seen lots of people with their cars changing around 500-1000 miles. Should I do the same or just do the usual 3000 miles?

Thanks and great forum!

· Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah mine has Mobil 1 from the factory also. They say it doesn't need a elaborate break in. I do plan on keeping it for as long as I can. So changing it early does no good? I can change it when the oil life system says to and it will still be no harm to the engine?

· Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone who replied. I've decided I'm going to change it around 1200-1500 miles and just go with the oil life system after that. I'm going to continue to use Mobil-1 5W-30, an oil that I've used ever since I could drive. I want only the best for this car. The only other thing I need is options for my filter. I've always used Fram filters on my cars and haven't had problems but I know Fram isn't the best. I can't find any Wix ones in my area for some reason so any recommendations for a good quality filter? What to definately stay away from?

· Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does Advance auto parts or autozone have Wix? Also how difficult is it to change the oil in the Cobalt SS? I FINALLY found the location of the filter and its the first vehicle I've had to have the round tube like filter the ECOTEC uses. Is it hard to change with the supercharger where it is?

· Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I've decided to go with Mobil 1 5W-30 oil and a Mobil 1 oil filter. How difficult is it to get the filter out of this engine with the S/C so close to the cap? I would like to do it myself but I'm unsure just how difficult it will be to get that filter out... :confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.