Cobalts SS banner

New Member.. Possible Buyer

3K views 25 replies 5 participants last post by  87camaroPA 
#1 ·
Hey Guys/Gals

My name is Jonathan. I am from Whitby, Ontario..

I am a new member here and I am thinking about buying a Cobalt SS.. I currently own a 1990 Beretta GTZ that is being done up and painted so I need a car I can drive in the winter and also have some fun with.. In the end I may either keep the Beretta or sell it.. But as of now I think I am gonna want to keep it as I put work into it and I just like the car (just worried this Cobalt will make me think otherwise ;) )

Anywas I am in a debate about getting a Cobalt or a Colorado as my winter car.. Now the Cobalt with my GM discount and such will end up costing me $20,000 and the truck will be about $30,000.. But the money isn't really the issue, I am just having a hard time choicing between both of them.. It's a hard one to make.. Both nice vehicles..

Can anyone give me some specs on the car and info on the motor etc.. I just read some of the post about the LSD and Different seats.. How do you get this from the factory or do you have to order it???

Also is this a stage 1 surpercharger in this car?.. What have you found power wise how it feels and such... Puts you back in the seat??... Currently I have a Quad 4 in my Beretta which is pushing 180-185hp and its a nice quick car as well.. It would be nice to own this car since there is only 6% made out of all the models of Cobalt..

Anywaz info would be great and I hope I learn more about this car before it comes out...

BTW - If there is anyone from the Whitby area maybe we can meet up.. Cause I have yet to see this car in person, and if I can see it in person and drive it (or in it) then I can decide if I am going to go ahead and order the car.. Otherwise I have to wait 3 weeks or so for the dealerships to get them in..

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Jon,

Welcome. :) Not sure what sort of specs you're looking for on the motor besides the ones easily found on GM's website? Check www.gmcanada.com - most specs are there. If there's something else specific you're looking for, let us know.

The LSD and Recaro seats are not available in Canada until 06. They'll be factory options. So if either of those are critical to you, you'll have to wait till 2006. Or move to the States. :)

Again, not sure what you mean by 'stage 1' supercharger. The supercharger is an Eaton M62 that pushes about 12lbs stock. There isn't much aftermarket for the car yet, but I think within a few months you'll start to see some neat power upgrade kits coming out. As for the speed, you'd really have to drive one for yourself. But empirically, it's faster than a Beretta GTZ. So imagine what you have now, only faster. :)

Whereabouts in Oshawa do you work?

#3 ·
I don't work in Oshawa :) I work in the U.S. as I drive transport trucks.. I acutally am based out of Bracebridge but I come home on weekends in Whitby... If your located close by and have the Cobalt I wouldn't mind seeing it in person this weekend if you can or something.. My number is 905-999-0448 if you have the car we can meet up..

Also the seats I don't really care about.. But the LSD would be something nice to have and seats I could buy aftermarket if I want but not sure if I care too much.. So I have to wait until 2006 for that stuff which kinda of sucks lol.. Cause I want the car now if I get it.. When I order I still will not have it until the end of June..

#8 ·
A done up Beretta.. May be an older car then the Cobalt.. Also may not be as expensive.. But it's got way to much work into it.. plus money and its too low.. It's my project car basically.. Although the Colbalt is a nice new sports car.. I like my Beretta alot and like I said. Way to much money and stuff into my car.. So I want a new car and a nice looking car.. It will not be just driven in the winter.. It will be driven year round.

#10 ·
90BerettaGTZ said:
A done up Beretta.. May be an older car then the Cobalt.. Also may not be as expensive.. But it's got way to much work into it.. plus money and its too low.. It's my project car basically.. Although the Colbalt is a nice new sports car.. I like my Beretta alot and like I said. Way to much money and stuff into my car.. So I want a new car and a nice looking car.. It will not be just driven in the winter.. It will be driven year round.
Oooo.... ok i thought you would be just driven it around just winter but i see were you are coming from and i can see that but the Cobalt might be you best bet so you can have fun car to drive year round. The Colorado would make a good winter car but i think it is up to what you are looking for for the winter / year round type car.

#11 ·
I will get you guys some pictures of my Beretta once it's painted and such.. Right now it just doesn't look to pleasing.. But I will get pick in about 1 week or so of it if it gets to the primer stage.. Then I will get final pics of it fully done..

I think I will probably end up with the Cobalt anywaz :)... Too bad I can't get the LSD and too bad there is no SS's around here that I can test drive.. :(

#15 ·
No there wouldn't be a law against it. Nobody can stop you from buyin anything unless its somethin illegal like drugs, certain guns, etc. It would just be figurin out how to convert the Canadian dollars to US. Shouldnt be too hard. But he may not wanna drive to get it or pay the extra cash for the option.

#17 ·
Well the problem is.. The payment difference etc.. Plus I don't know if my discounts will work in the US and shit.. The towing isn't a problem I can drive it or bring it back on my Rig..

When I am down in the US with my truck.. I may try to find out and test drive it.. Or I might just order a 2006 model and see if they can get me the LSD and stuff if I order the 2006 model.. I have to check..

Also I think you have to get importing papers and such..

#20 ·
CoBIZZLE said:
Oh yeah I forgot about importing fees! Aren't those expensive??!?! I know just to get a Skyline over here and have it legal to drive is OVER $100,000!!!! And thats not even counting the cost of the car I believe!!!
Of fourse it is RHD. :D
Yeah i love to have a Skyline but to rich for my blood. But i know of a place who does that. There are prices on there also.
http://www.motorex.net/motorex.html

#23 ·
Well... I got to test drive my buddy's car (MugenCivicSI), he has the SS model.. Well I loved it alot and it made me make up my mind between the car and the truck.... I was looking before my friend.. but he got lucky and found one before I did and went ahead to purchase it :eek:

Welll today.. I went shopping around and talking to the scam artist (I mean salesman) and I placed my order from the same dealer my buddy went to.. He told me about this Rally Yellow SS that is coming in and I took it.. 3-4 months I heard if you order one.. But this one is already order and should be here sometime in June..

So I am now the owner of a Yellow SS with Sunroof.. Sure I could have waited for the 2006 Model's to come out to see if I could get the LSD and Seats... But really I don't care since I am not doing this car up.. And I don't really want to spend an extra $2000 or so.. Plus it's not that big of a deal for me.. I am a street tuner.. Not a race track kind of guy.. So no big deal for me...

#25 ·
I basically paid a little under sticker... but not much.. The dealers arnt going to really go down in price cause they the popularity... It's even worst in Canada, Well atleast in Ontario since GM is going giving Ontario 136 SS.. And GM doesn't reimburse the Dealerships for much because the car is a limited edition...

They don't even give the full GM 10% discount..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.